Author Topic: Something to debate...  (Read 4174 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
Something to debate...
« on: 12 August 2007, 15:00 »
Alright. The GTI thankfully is staying. And this may very well be off the topic of the forum but it does kind of relate... :rolleyes:

The father has decided he wants the new Mitsubishi Evo X. (Coming out next year)
So fine. This is how it relates to this forum:

MK1 GTI- Holy cow!
MK2 GTI- Not so good
MK3 GTI- Does my bum look big in this?
MK4 GTI- Overweight
MK5 GTI- Holy Cow!

Ok. Now the lancers (not sure how many there have been)
First one- Brilliant
Last one- Useless

So much like the Golf has gone through bad times and VW have revived the GTI name do you think the new Evo stands a chance to be brilliant again?
Opinions please (I must win this argument against my dad :evil:)
As you can guess Im not really for it.... I dont like it

Mike

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline firemonkey

• Not said much yet
  • It don't mean anything!
Re: Something to debate...
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2007, 15:29 »
I think it will be a winner, in fact i would have one now myself if the cabin hadn't been so plastic fantastic. On the whole its a very fast car and i will looking forward to test piloting the new one.  :evil:

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2007, 15:56 »
The new Evo X looks lovely from the outside. I haven't really seen the inside of the new one, but if it is anything like the last 9 then :sick:

For the last 9 generations:-

+ 4WD is awesome, accelleration is awesome, Handling is awesome :evil:

- Ride is bonkers hard, There is little accelleration outside the boost area, 4WD=power transmission losses and extra weight (although not too bad in the weight area!)

Fuel consumption rarely goes over 20mpg and you can get it down to 5mpg on a track day.

Servicing costs are roughly double that of your normal GTI due to a 4,500mile/6month service regime.

As an every day car I would consider many others first above an Evo.

I would think that the MKX version wouldn't be much different :undecided:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2007, 17:26 »
YAY! So far Im winning :lipsrsealed:

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline whitegtidriver

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2007, 17:47 »
Hi what about the r32 there out down your way now (hows the footie stadium building coming on)
05 candy white, leather 18"s xenons parking sensors,revo,d.

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2007, 12:25 »
The R32 is a no go. We looking at a car that will cost more than the EVO and has a year and a half waiting list at the moment. So its not really practical or worth it to wait so long for a car.

The footie stadium... :rolleyes: What footie stadium? (That should give you an idea)

Join our group now!

Offline mepal47

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2007, 12:37 »
I certainly wouldnt say the evo's have been ever anything but brilliant, shure they arent good if your going on long journeys, the have hideous fuel consumption and running costs and they styling leaves a lot to be desired, but thats not what they are all about, as a driving machine they are fantastic, and in the real world there are very few cars that would get you from point A to point B as quickly.

Offline derdle

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2007, 12:39 »
The Evo is a balls out in yer face car and therefore down to the individual concerned as to whether they like it or not IMHO. Cars like Evo's and Scoobies always attract the attention of the old bill and very often the theiving scumbags (wherever you live).

Sadly thre are some basics facts that you cannot get away from...

If you want space rocket performance you can expect space rocket fuel consumption...basic chemistry.
If you want a car that handles well you can expect harsh suspension .. basic physics.
If you want supercar performance at moderate prices you can expect plastic interiors..basic finance

Just my 2p.....
Laser Blue 05 Gti c/w sunroof

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2007, 17:05 »
The Evo is a balls out in yer face car and therefore down to the individual concerned as to whether they like it or not IMHO. Cars like Evo's and Scoobies always attract the attention of the old bill and very often the theiving scumbags (wherever you live).

Sadly thre are some basics facts that you cannot get away from...

If you want space rocket performance you can expect space rocket fuel consumption...basic chemistry.
If you want a car that handles well you can expect harsh suspension .. basic physics.
If you want supercar performance at moderate prices you can expect plastic interiors..basic finance

Just my 2p.....

Couldn't have put it better myself Derdle :smiley:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #9 on: 28 August 2007, 17:22 »
The new Evo X looks lovely from the outside. I haven't really seen the inside of the new one, but if it is anything like the last 9 then :sick:

For the last 9 generations:-

+ 4WD is awesome, accelleration is awesome, Handling is awesome :evil:

Each to their own, but I personally couldn't stand the Evo 4wd and handling.  OK, if you are used to the glorified electronic traction control that is commonly called Haldex 4wd, then it might be fine.

I personally found the Evo handling to be extremely unrefined.  I found the traction to be horrendous.  When pushed really hard on wet roads, it was a case of "slip-grip-slip-grip-slip-grip" - as the electronically controlled diffs dialed in and out the power.  I actually went to RalliArt in Dudley, and tried three different versions, one completely standard, another with a stage 1, and finally a stage 3 makeover.  They were all aweful.  When I questioned the RalliArt rep, he said that was how they were designed to work.  I then took him for a blast in a Vectra GSI I owned, and the handling was nigh-on par with the Evos, but without any of the electronic intervention!

So my opinion of Evos =  :sick:  :sick:  :sick:  :sick:

Servicing costs are roughly double that of your normal GTI due to a 4,500mile/6month service regime.

I'd say in financial terms, servicing costs about 4 times as much as any VAG.

Don't forget, many Evos are often heavily modified, as often they promise much, but in reality, fail to deliver, without spending shedloads more on go-faster bits.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo