Author Topic: Please help!  (Read 4064 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
Please help!
« on: 12 March 2007, 12:33 »
Hi there.

With the recent theft of Blowers vehicle  :cry: (Sorry to hear that) i have become very concerned with the problem my wifes 06 GTI has been giving since we got it.

My wife has noticed that sometimes when she parks the car outside and goes shopping etc. She comes back to the car and finds the windows open. Although only open slightly it is possible to get your hand  inside and open the door. We have consulted the manual and learned that holding the unlock key on the remote will open the windows. However my wife has been extra careful and still the windows go down. The DOC said it could be a problem with the CCM Controller. We have a highline computer and have reset all our settings.

Unfortunatly in South Africa its nearing to Winter time and we are worried that the windows will open while its raining or someone will steal the car. Another problem is that we dont want the car anywhere near a dealer. (B$stards just stuff everything up :embarassed:)

Any help would be appreciated. Maybe TT can offer a view?

Thanks in advance
Michael

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline mrtibbs27

• Not said much yet
Re: Please help!
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2007, 13:03 »
Michael,

I hade this same problem with my GTi, the windows being slightly down when I returned to it in the firm's car park. I dont know if it was something I'd done or a fault with the car. I never did take it in to the dealer it just seemed to go away. I will have to wait and see if the Edition 30 has the same, might be worth going to your dealer and checking everythings okay. 

Offline mrtibbs27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2007, 13:06 »
Michael,
                I HAD THIS HAPPEN WITH MY OLD GTi, CAME TO IT IN THE FIRM'S CAR PARK AND WINDOWS WERE DOWN. IT ONLY HAPPENED A COUPLE OF TIMES, NEVER DID GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT ALTHOUGH TO BE FAIR I NEVER TOOK IT IN TO MY DEALER, IT JUST STOPPED DOING IT. IN YOUR PLACE I WOULD VISIT MY DEALER AND SEE WHAT HE SAYS, IT MIGHT NOT BE THERE ONE DAY WHEN YOU COME BACK FOR IT.

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2007, 09:16 »
Thanks for the quick reply.
I am really worrying. How long did you have the car for before it went away?

Michael

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline mrtibbs27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2007, 13:23 »
Michael,

it seemed to happen just after I first bought it,  then after a few months it just went. To be fair it only happened on a couple of occaisons. I did wonder if it was something that I had done, leaned on window switches or something, just before I got out of the car. Anyway mate see how it goes, if it persists take her back to the dealer, if he's any good should sort it for you.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2007, 13:47 »
My wife has noticed that sometimes when she parks the car outside and goes shopping etc. She comes back to the car and finds the windows open. Although only open slightly it is possible to get your hand  inside and open the door. We have consulted the manual and learned that holding the unlock key on the remote will open the windows. However my wife has been extra careful and still the windows go down. The DOC said it could be a problem with the CCM Controller. We have a highline computer and have reset all our settings.

Righty, time for me to get in quick, whilst the server behaves itself!

Two reasons which could cause your problem.

The first would be the "roll back" function, whereby the windows (and sunroof) will roll back an inch or two if they encounter resistance caused by an obstruction (or even tight window guides).  Try it yourself - place a hand (or a tennis ball, if you are a wuss) in the open window aperture, and close the window.  It should rise up, meet your hand and then drop back slightly.  There is a way to "override" this, listed in the owners manual.  It could be that the pre-determined length of "travel" required for fully closed has gone out of calibration.

The second issue regards the "Convenience Module".  This controls the "one-touch" window operation from the remote locking (and also the key in the door slot).  I have heard of problems with these on older VAG models, but not yet on the Golf V.  Saying that, just because I personally havn't heard of probs, that don't mean there arn't any!

With both issues, they can only be properly diagnosed with either VAG-COM, or the main stealer!

Unfortunatly in South Africa . . . . . we are worried . . . .

Get some of those remote controlled flame throwers strapped to the undercarriage of the Golf . . .  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Another problem is that we dont want the car anywhere near a dealer. (B$stards just stuff everything up :embarassed:)

Can't you find another stealer?  My local one actually seem to be quite helpful at the momnent  :huh:  :shocked:

Any help would be appreciated. Maybe TT can offer a view?

Is this current view from Teutonic Towers any use?  :grin:
« Last Edit: 13 March 2007, 14:06 by Teutonic_Tamer »
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2007, 13:55 »
Thanks any help would be appreciated TT

Join our group now!

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2007, 07:12 »
Hey again.

Thank you very much. it sure is. I will test it out with a tennis ball :grin:
With regards to finding another stealer :undecided: NOT Gonna happen. In Cape Town the stealers are junk. They scratch the cars. In most cases even take it out for a spin.... :sick: :angry:

How easy is it to hook the car up to VAG-COM? I have the software. Just need the cable. If its to much hassle then will have to take it back to the dealer. But as you can see that is not something I would like to do.

I will let you know what my experimenting :evil: comes up with. I believe the CCM Module is found somewhere under the steering wheel?

Thanks TT and mrtibbs27. Its greatly appreciated. One last question. Do any of you find that the interior of the golf is a pain to keep clean of dust? The car parks inside (Carpeted garage at that) and still the inside is dusty. Just a thought.

Thanks again
Michael

Join our group now!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2007, 07:57 »
Hey again.

Thank you very much. it sure is. I will test it out with a tennis ball :grin:

Wuss.  :grin:  Actually, the roll back function is actually meant to protect kids and babys hands from getting trapped if they get them in the way, so, unless you are a violinist or pianist, or someone who needs their fingers for a living, you should be safe enough to stick your own hand in there.  Just think of it as a "learning experience", just like when you first licked the terminals of a PP3 9 volt battery !!!  :evil:  :evil:

With regards to finding another stealer :undecided: NOT Gonna happen. In Cape Town the stealers are junk. They scratch the cars. In most cases even take it out for a spin.... :sick: :angry:

Strewth, they actually sound worse than here in Blighty !!  :shocked:  Can't you take digital pix of the car (including the mileometer) when you hand it over to the service receptionist?

How easy is it to hook the car up to VAG-COM? I have the software. Just need the cable. If its to much hassle then will have to take it back to the dealer. But as you can see that is not something I would like to do.

If you can connect a scart lead on your telly, then you can hook up VAG-COM.  The socket actually looks very similar to a scart socket, but is coloured purple.  To find it, open your drivers door fully, get on your knees (and pray - only kidding!), and the socket is under the dash, above the pedals, near the bonnet release.

Be careful with the VAG-COM, though, as you can seriously fcuk up certain settings.  There are two "sections" on the VAG-COM; one is the "safer" section, with limited functionality, to prevent numpties from bu&&ering up anything.  The other section is the "full monty", allowing full access and control to all modules.  If you seriously want to play with the settings, then I would strongly recommend you beg, steal or borrow (or as a last resort, purchase  :grin:) a Bentley Service Manual.

One other tip with VAG-COM.  If you do want to alter any settings, before making any changes, WRITE down the standard settings, then if your change doesn't work, you can always back-track!

I will let you know what my experimenting :evil: comes up with. I believe the CCM Module is found somewhere under the steering wheel?

:grin:  You shouldn't really need to gain physical access to the individual control modules, unless any are actually knackered, but then the stealer should replace them under warranty!

Thanks TT and mrtibbs27. Its greatly appreciated. One last question. Do any of you find that the interior of the golf is a pain to keep clean of dust? The car parks inside (Carpeted garage at that) and still the inside is dusty. Just a thought.

Hoover your bl00dy carpet then!  :evil:  :evil:  Actually, try an "anti-static" interior cleaner on the dash, etc, and see how you get on.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2007, 10:52 »
Hello again.

Strewth, they actually sound worse than here in Blighty !!    Can't you take digital pix of the car (including the mileometer) when you hand it over to the service receptionist?
With regards to that. We did that the last time we sent the car in. (Ipod link was not activated)  :undecided:We told the dealer we would be doing that and even took the mechanic who would be working on the car to look at the car. He inspected the car and signed a form saying that he had not seen any scratches etc. Thus when we get home and theres a large scratch on the rear. We know who to blame :smug:

Hoover your bl00dy carpet then!      Actually, try an "anti-static" interior cleaner on the dash, etc, and see how you get on.
Sigh....  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Thanks again for the help. Will let you know what I find on monday. Will try get hold of some VAG-COM Cables... :embarassed:

Cheers

Join our group now!