Author Topic: Read and take note of the very limited VW warranty  (Read 7749 times)

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
Re: Read and take note of the very limited VW warranty
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2016, 16:20 »
As the leak was discovered at MOT just a few days past the three year point I struggle to see how consumer rights would apply really.

The VW warranty for shock absorbers covers against manufacturing defects for the first six months or 6,000 miles. ( a small print item I wasn't aware of )

Whether you could argue the leaks which could have occurred a lot earlier than the three year discovery point and were down to a manufacturing defect I don't know.

The annoying thing is that VWUK do not appear to be applying any customer goodwill in this case as they might have done in the past.

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 27 March 2016, 16:22 »
As the leak was discovered at MOT just a few days past the three year point I struggle to see how consumer rights would apply really.

The VW warranty for shock absorbers covers against manufacturing defects for the first six months or 6,000 miles. ( a small print item I wasn't aware of )

Whether you could argue the leaks were down to a manufacturing defect & could have occurred a lot earlier than the three year discovery point is another matter.

The annoying thing is that VWUK do not appear to be applying any customer goodwill in this case as they might have done in the past.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2016, 16:24 by TwoSheds »

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2016, 16:28 »
Tried to edit my post and 'save' but appeared as new posts .??

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2016, 16:49 »
Because a car has to be defect free for at least 6 years.........my missus works for Trading Standards so deals with these sorts of issues all the time

Whilst shock absorbers are a wear and tear item they should last at least 100,000 miles with normal use. Thrash them around the track and yes they will wear out quicker

This will be the last time I point out to people about their consumer rights as it appears the majority seem to be happy to be ripped off by VW.

People need to dig their heels in and put up as much fight as possible as at the end of the day you are paying £25k plus for a hatchback so you expect it to last......

Carry on people.............
« Last Edit: 27 March 2016, 17:11 by Rhyso »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2016, 20:43 »
I had a complete rear axle assembly and shock absorbers replaced under warranty on my mk4 golf. Your warranty is for three years and i dont really care what the small print says about 6 months bu44sh!t. If anything goes wrong thats not a wear and tear item which in my book is serviceable items i get it replaced under warranty. I've never had any issues at all with any vw or seat warranty. People need to grow a pair a stand up for themselves and not take the first answer.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2016, 22:19 »
Because a car has to be defect free for at least 6 years.........my missus works for Trading Standards so deals with these sorts of issues all the time

Whilst shock absorbers are a wear and tear item they should last at least 100,000 miles with normal use. Thrash them around the track and yes they will wear out quicker

This will be the last time I point out to people about their consumer rights as it appears the majority seem to be happy to be ripped off by VW.

People need to dig their heels in and put up as much fight as possible as at the end of the day you are paying £25k plus for a hatchback so you expect it to last......

Carry on people.............

This. So called "fit for purpose".
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 27 March 2016, 23:28 »
Do all parts of the car have to last 6 years by the sale of goods act? I'm pretty sure they don't, and the onus is on the consumer to prove a manufacturing defect after 6 months.

The 6 year term is a maximum and is based on what it is, how much it costs and how much wear and tear/environmental conditions the item it is subjected to/expected to be subjected to.

Expect a TV sitting on a TV stand or screwed to a wall to last 6 years, expect a car engine or gearbox to last 6 years. I doubt any small claims court in the country would expect a clutch to last 6 years unless you could prove you'd never ridden it at junctions or had an independent engineers report following inspection that strongly implied a manufacturing defect in their professional opinion, no one would expect shocks or brake disks/pads to last 6 years either.

Saying all that, i'd expect shocks to last the 3 years of the standard warranty, especially if the brand of shocks fitted to the car come with a 3 year manufacturer's warranty when bought privately as replacements.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 29 March 2016, 08:46 »
Mcmaddy,
they are only covered for 6 months or 6,000 miles.

In the past, the garage told me that VW would use discretion about overall condition/use etc to decide. They now say that VW are just not using any discretion at all.

My rear shocks were replaced under warranty recently. My car is a 63 plate (December '13) and has 40K miles... So, sounds like your dealer is being creative with what they tell you...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 29 March 2016, 17:52 »
As monkey hanger says if you were to buy genuine VW shocks from the parts dept. you get longer than 6 months warranty in fact I'm almost certain if it's genuine parts then it's two years. I'd be going to a different dealer if I were you.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #19 on: 29 March 2016, 18:44 »
1 year if you buy them
2 if the dealer supplies and fits