Author Topic: Oil Top Up  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
Oil Top Up
« on: 16 October 2015, 20:45 »
I checked the oil recently and noticed it was mid way between min/max so have been thinking about a wee top up. I understand that I should use a 507 000 for VW spec but should I be looking for a 5W 30 oil?

I've seen the blurb about only using Castrol Edge Professional but I've been given some Castrol Edge 5W30, would that be okay for a top up? I've not had the first service yet and that may only be just over a month away.

Thanks...

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Oil Top Up
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2015, 07:54 »
If it's not VW approved then don't use it. If it's half way ie the middle why are you topping up anyway? Leave it till your first service.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2015, 18:04 »
As above, half way between min and max is exactly where it should be. Too much oil is as bad as too little.

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2015, 18:57 »
I checked the oil recently and noticed it was mid way between min/max so have been thinking about a wee top up. I understand that I should use a 507 000 for VW spec but should I be looking for a 5W 30 oil?

I've seen the blurb about only using Castrol Edge Professional but I've been given some Castrol Edge 5W30, would that be okay for a top up? I've not had the first service yet and that may only be just over a month away.

Thanks...

Castrol Edge 5W30 is fine to use , whether you decide to top up now or use at a later date.

Its approved for engine codes CKFC, CRBC, CRLB, CRMB and CUNA

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2015, 19:56 »
If it's due a service soon, why waste oil by topping up to max? The car can quite happily get along with anything between min and max. When I gave my R a "running in" oil change (primarily because I ran it in quite hard and diesel is a natural lubricant in its own right whereas petrol is not), I only topped it up to the midway and saved 1/2 a litre of oil for top-ups if needed.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2015, 22:57 »
This is my first car to drop from the max level between services so I think I went into over protective mode  :smiley:  Saying that my previous car (non VW) was impossible to read the dipstick, it travelled around 2 bends and just smeared the oil up the dipstick so I never knew where it was at really.

The oil was free but I'll keep an eye on it, I'm saying that it's due a service soon as I was told to stick to a 12 monthly service when I bought it.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 October 2015, 09:54 »
Any oil of the appropriate grade that meets the standard will be fine... Personally, I go for high quality synthetic, but as long as the grade and standard are met you will have no problem.

Don't believe the only use x brand bullsh!t

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)