Author Topic: Oil Filler Cap Oil Colour  (Read 10292 times)

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
Re: Oil Filler Cap Oil Colour
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2015, 09:58 »
Just checked mine and its black oil as you would expect and only serviced 3k miles ago.  Is the rubber seal ok on the filler cap and does it fit quite tight?

Offline ChrisGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2015, 12:17 »
I would have expected the oil to be blackish aswell, mine was serviced less than 1k miles ago.  The rubber seal is in place and looks ok and the filler cap is as tight as l would expect it to be.

I have just returned from the VW garage where a member of their service department took a look and said he had no concern with regard to the oil feel, however the colour of the oil is strange, he believed it was just condensation.  He cleaned the filler cap and said it should stay clean for a few weeks, however after carrying out my 6 mile drive to return to work, l checked the cap again and it was as it was prior to being cleaned (just like the photo)...

I have informed VW again, who are due to take another look this Friday.  I'll provide feedback.

Any other ideas what could have caused this, the car has been mine now for about a month?  If they can't identify the issue what would you request them to do as l would class this as being abnormal and that for an expensive car it gives me no peace of mind?
« Last Edit: 08 September 2015, 12:20 by ChrisGTD »

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2015, 12:37 »
Ok well 6 miles is certainly not going to help with regards to heating the engine oil up and even more so in the winter months.  However I would expect a more cream cheese type of substance if it was condensation.

If it was my car I would do either of these:

1.  Take a sample of the current engine oil and get it analysed for water, fuel contaminants etc
2.  Do a complete engine flush and replace with new correct oil & filter, then monitor

I would imagine VW would under take option 2 being the easiest & I would express my concerns to the service manager both verbally & in writing.  Just in case of any quibble if you have a warranty claim

Offline ChrisGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2015, 13:12 »
Thanks again OP,

I have written to VW, who to date have been very good.  I have documented what has happened with my concerns etc.

I have a session booked for this Friday at 1pm, when l know the outcome l'll advise.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2015, 13:51 »
Thanks again OP,

I have written to VW, who to date have been very good.  I have documented what has happened with my concerns etc.

I have a session booked for this Friday at 1pm, when l know the outcome l'll advise.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Mine goes in tomorrow for a gps / nav issue with lots of evidence  :smiley:

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 08 September 2015, 18:14 »
Ok well 6 miles is certainly not going to help with regards to heating the engine oil up and even more so in the winter months.  However I would expect a more cream cheese type of substance if it was condensation.

I agree, certainly doesn't look like the normal stuff I described. It's a surprisingly vibrant yellow!

Offline ChrisGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 08 September 2015, 21:00 »
VW thinks its a faulty oil filler cap, its going in on Friday for an inspection, l hope they are right, but l'm not convienced..

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 08 September 2015, 21:05 »
VW thinks its a faulty oil filler cap, its going in on Friday for an inspection, l hope they are right, but l'm not convienced..

It's a possibility but faulty as in what or how ?  Unless it has a hairline crack but I can't see how that would cause such a yellow colour ?  If the dipstick oil is black then it has to be something mixing with the oil at the filler point?  Have you removed the tuning box cleaned the cap and run the car as totally standard?

Offline ChrisGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 08 September 2015, 21:15 »
The filler cap, looks good as does the filler cap seal, it also shuts off tight as l would expect, l don't see this being the fix.  I removed the tuning box and have seen no difference in the amount of yellow stuff being built up.

I think if it was anything to do with the box it would have been well documented and l haven't hammered the car since fitting.

Hope your Nav issue is resolved.

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 08 September 2015, 21:21 »
The filler cap, looks good as does the filler cap seal, it also shuts off tight as l would expect, l don't see this being the fix.  I removed the tuning box and have seen no difference in the amount of yellow stuff being built up.

I think if it was anything to do with the box it would have been well documented and l haven't hammered the car since fitting.

Hope your Nav issue is resolved.

Thanks mine should be easy I have all the info & pics with it putting me in the wrong place compared to my iPhone Nav, I also have a full copy of VCDS  :smug:  they have already ordered a new shark fin.  Easy for VW to fit a new cap & test but it is puzzling.  The other thing is perhaps the wrong oil was used at the service