Author Topic: GTD vs big hill...  (Read 6053 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: GTD vs big hill...
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2015, 20:27 »
Seems a bit of a pointless question - I mean 6th gear is basically an "over-drive" cruising gear on any car. If you find that whatever you are doing doesn't pull well in 6th gear, choose one of the other gears? You've got 5, one of them will work unless you are on a 70 degree incline.

On a normal flat (ish) road you can happily plod around in 6th gear in the GTD from about 30mph upwards, but maybe not a hill - but why would you?

No, not a pointless question.
I have some steep hills nearby which are NSL dual carriageway. so therefore I find it quite normal to stay in a high gear and blast up the hills at NSL. The TDI I was a passenger in struggled a bit which surprised me as it has nearly as much torque as my GTI and the gearing doesn't seem massively higher. Therefore I wondered if a GTD would need to change down as I used to drive mk6 GTD's quite a bit and they used to fly up the hills in top gear and could even accelerate in top gear.
Anyway I've arranged to borrow a local forum members GTD and put it to the test...

It's nothing scientific, just a plain old question about real world performance because I'm curious about such things.
And certainly nothing to do with labouring an engine off boost which would be plain daft.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline benmartingolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2015, 23:10 »
Exonian Il race you up Haldon Hill!!! ha

Pick my GTI up tomorrow afternoon!!!

:wink: :wink:
Collect 28th May 2015

GTI MK7, Pure White, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Discover Pro, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2015, 23:56 »
Congrats! At last! You'll love it.  :cool:
Get some miles on it, they really loosen up after a while.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner