Author Topic: Manual owners  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Re: Manual owners
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2018, 12:53 »
So consensus is that these various short-shift kits don't just decrease throw distances, but make the change feel smoother (ie less "gravelly")?
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2018, 13:45 »
^Or that only the R (possibly CSS too due to same output) has a gravelly manual box.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2018, 13:56 »
Fitted one of  these recentlyhttps://www.sico-developments.co.uk/products/volkswagen-mk7-golf-gti-short-shift-transmission-adapter?variant=27419652232 Much smoother and more precise feel compared to standard. :smiley:

I've got one of these fitted and makes a very nice improvement, I've also removed the clutch delay valve and clutch spring which helps improves the feel massively.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2018, 14:16 by 7MAT »
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline ksuk2009

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2018, 16:16 »
I have always found the gear change to be fine. Much better as standard than my previous car, Astra J Vxr, which really was very sloppy. Having said this though I recently fitted an Audi shift bracket. The number was kindly provided by another forum member ! This has made the changes that bit more enjoyable and slightly shorter as well.

Nice !  i'd like to know more about the Audi Shift Bracket.  Is there a pic or part number so i can research it a little more ?

The only thing i'm not really liking is the gear stick itself, with all the indentations. (it trying to be a golf ball) but & i'll be the first to admit, that really is a petty quirk of mine ! Would rather it be a solid leather shift, that would feel nicer in the hand. 

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2018, 20:35 »
I have always found the gear change to be fine. Much better as standard than my previous car, Astra J Vxr, which really was very sloppy. Having said this though I recently fitted an Audi shift bracket. The number was kindly provided by another forum member ! This has made the changes that bit more enjoyable and slightly shorter as well.

Nice !  i'd like to know more about the Audi Shift Bracket.  Is there a pic or part number so i can research it a little more ?

The only thing i'm not really liking is the gear stick itself, with all the indentations. (it trying to be a golf ball) but & i'll be the first to admit, that really is a petty quirk of mine ! Would rather it be a solid leather shift, that would feel nicer in the hand.

The part number was 8J0711046E (ignore the 051 on the image below as 046E includes the attachment for the cable) and cost £37.26 +vat.

As for the gear lever, how about fitting one from an R? The only problem would be the white stitching instead of the red.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline cossiegaz82

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2018, 21:15 »

The part number was 8J0711046E (ignore the 051 on the image below as 046E includes the attachment for the cable) and cost £37.26 +vat.

As for the gear lever, how about fitting one from an R? The only problem would be the white stitching instead of the red.

Where was that from mate?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 01 June 2018, 14:03 »
Just from my local Audi dealer. Just took a couple of days to get it in :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 01 June 2018, 16:18 »
I've found the mk7 gearboxes to vary a bit.

My PP GTI gearbox had a slick enough change but I never quite fully got on with it for some reason. I can't put my finger on why.
It had a metallic feel to the change which was pleasant enough but I could beat the syncromesh at times when 'on it'.
Mind you my brain to hand coordination is pretty shocking at times.

When I jumped in the R immediately after signing a few bits of paper the improved gear change was one of the first things to hit me. The gearing was a little too low in the lower gears on the R but the actual change was really nice. I did add a bump stop to the clutch pedal (which I forgot to remove when I sold the car) which made a little bit of difference to things. The engine was so much more responsive once the turbo was on song making gear changes a frequent thing and I never had cause to complain (that I remember).

The GTD gearbox must've been ok as I really have no recollection of it! I only had the car for a very short time and did sub 1000miles so... yeah.

The Clubsport hardly gets driven (someone will get a bargain one day when I sell the thing) but does seem to have quite a slick change. I really enjoy changing gears in that car.

I'm sure there are people on here who are familiar with the different gearbox codes that will know the differences between the boxes themselves and clutches etc.
For all i know all four of those gearboxes might be nigh on identical and it's merely my perception and manufacturing variations that have made the difference  :undecided:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 01 June 2018, 18:06 »
My PP GTI gearbox had a slick enough change but I never quite fully got on with it for some reason. I can't put my finger on why.
It had a metallic feel to the change which was pleasant enough but I could beat the syncromesh at times when 'on it'.

This rings true with me and my PP. There was nothing wrong with the gear change as such, pretty smooth with a mechanical feel as the lever slotted home. But I just wasn't quite satisfied and felt there was room for improvement. The Audi part being oem and very reasonably priced (I do like my pocket to be happy too :wink:) seemed well worth a go and I'm so glad I did. It has really sharpened up the changes feeling tighter and what I expect from a more performance orientated car. It may not be to everyone's taste and it certainly isn't an essential mod but I still appreciate the difference on every drive. I also removed the assistor spring on the pedal and added a bump stop both of which have made minor but worthwhile differences.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Duke Dickson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 02 June 2018, 05:13 »
All I can say is that IMHO it is ok. Sometimes it feels the good side of that, sometimes it feels pretty damn average, so the wrong side of that. However, the clutch feels untrustworthy (think mine might be having issues, unless something else that appears quite similar to clutch slip) & for an engine with supposedly lots of low down torque, that side feels less than good as well.

The big thing for me is having had a Honda R in the past. Yes it doesn't have the torque, but different planet in terms of a manual 'box.