Author Topic: 08 Golf GTI Struggling to start  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Dan380

• Just got here
08 Golf GTI Struggling to start
« on: 13 February 2017, 21:04 »
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, had a scan around and couldn't find any other thread with the same topic.

I have a mk5 08 Golf GTI that I've had no problems with, but recently when trying to start the car, it seems like it's struggling to ignite. Upon turning the ignition, it turns over and attempts to ignite, then appears to "choke" and attempts to ignite again. It either ignites the second time or third time.

Could this be the battery or spark plugs perhaps? I did a voltage test on the battery with no engine running and it's just below 12 volts.

Any help would be great!
Dan

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: 08 Golf GTI Struggling to start
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2017, 08:45 »
Whats the mileage? Ever had the high pressure pump cam follower done?

Does it feel as if its a little sluggish when driving

Offline Dan380

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2017, 08:53 »
It's on 83000 miles. I haven't had the car that long so haven't done any work on it myself.

It doesn't feel sluggish once it's going. The problem only happens on the first initial start of the day or when left for a while. After it's been run it starts easily

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2017, 09:00 »
Have you history with the car.
The cam follower lasts roughly 40k miles.
If its worn theres less fuel pressure. Ive never seen one excessively worn so dont know if it would be the problem but its sounding like the fuel pressure isnt there straight away

Offline Dan380

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2017, 09:43 »
Yeah it has full service history, even serviced by the garage I bought it from. But it wasn't a vw garage

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2017, 18:27 »
Id be looking to see if its ever been changed then. If not id be starting there for definate

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2017, 19:35 »
Your initial battery voltage is too low, should be at least 12.8v with no engine running.
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Dan380

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2017, 21:30 »
I'll give the battery a change and hopefully it will help. I'll try look into the cam follower info in the servicing. Thanks for the advice

Offline WolfsburgEd

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 19 October 2017, 19:55 »
OP - did you get this sorted?

I've got the same issue, the battery has been replaced but its still taking ages to start from cold. Turns over at a fine speed but just wont catch and sounds a bit odd as it gets ignited then its all fine and is fine for the next start for the return home journey 8 hrs later.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2018, 20:24 »
The cam follower lasts roughly 40k miles.
Sorry but that is horse poo.  Providing the engine oil has been changed regularly with an appropriate LongLife III oil, the cam follower will last around 100,000 miles.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo