Author Topic: mk4 detail  (Read 16633 times)

Offline Conker

• I live here
Re: mk4 detail
« Reply #10 on: 05 February 2008, 12:43 »
no they are really fine and you only notice them when you're cleaning the car...

I know its completely uncool in the world of detailing, but AutoG SRP is underrated in my opinion. It would get rid of these kind of scrathes with enough elbow grease. Its like the scratches you get under the door handles from rings/fingernails... SRP sorts them out good and proper. Plus its cheap.

[Dave puts on body armour ready for flames...]

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2008, 12:57 »
no they are really fine and you only notice them when you're cleaning the car...

I know its completely uncool in the world of detailing, but AutoG SRP is underrated in my opinion. It would get rid of these kind of scrathes with enough elbow grease. Its like the scratches you get under the door handles from rings/fingernails... SRP sorts them out good and proper. Plus its cheap.

[Dave puts on body armour ready for flames...]

no need to don the armour mate as i find it good for that sort of job too.  used to think it was rubbish but you got to learn to apply and remove properly

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2008, 13:04 »
yeah i've used SRP and found it quite good too.

goes on easily and comes off easily.

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
  • Money, b!tches And Boost
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2008, 13:38 »
How much do you charge?

Whats the best for getting rid of swirl marks? I may try my car this weekend as the paint is shockin!
Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 05 February 2008, 13:49 »
hmmm... AG SRP... interesting one this...

it will only really work for light haze/swirl and be careful because too much elbow grease can impart swirls... i don't think the 'cutting' element of AG SRP breaks down as much as the megs and menzerna polishes... also AG SRP has some 'filling' properties...

i used to use it a lot and it isn't all bad...  found it best to use it in conjunction with AG extra gloss polish when i was using it

once your swirls are removed i'd also say to use a decent sealant and wax combination - protect all that hard work and bring out a decent shine

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #15 on: 05 February 2008, 13:55 »
Whats the best for getting rid of swirl marks? I may try my car this weekend as the paint is shockin!

wtf

i thought you had the whole car sprayed as part of the conversion, or was it just parts?

hmmm... AG SRP... interesting one this...

it will only really work for light haze/swirl and be careful because too much elbow grease can impart swirls... i don't think the 'cutting' element of AG SRP breaks down as much as the megs and menzerna polishes... also AG SRP has some 'filling' properties...

i think the SRP is more of a chemical cleaner than a polish as they say it can be layered which would imply that its not a true polish as a true polish would remove anything underneath.  it nice give a nice shine though.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 05 February 2008, 13:57 »

now there is a debate and a half! elbow grease i guess if you don't have a polisher...
lots of people start off by trying the megs 3 step cleaning system

how bad is shockin?

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 05 February 2008, 13:59 »
i think the SRP is more of a chemical cleaner than a polish as they say it can be layered which would imply that its not a true polish as a true polish would remove anything underneath.  it nice give a nice shine though.

about right... i think that is where the 'filling' bit comes in... it's not bad for a starter for ten though

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
  • Money, b!tches And Boost
« Reply #18 on: 05 February 2008, 14:07 »

now there is a debate and a half! elbow grease i guess if you don't have a polisher...
lots of people start off by trying the megs 3 step cleaning system

how bad is shockin?

obviously the front bumper and the rear are ok as they just been painted but the side panels and doors are pretty bad, never been detailed or anything and because its black they show up really blatently!

If I wanted to try and get rid of them myself what would you advise?
Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 05 February 2008, 14:16 »
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=6&products_id=164&osCsid=nj5mtc5qtn4pb0gehhtv40aj65

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=6&products_id=165&osCsid=nj5mtc5qtn4pb0gehhtv40aj65

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=6&products_id=166&osCsid=nj5mtc5qtn4pb0gehhtv40aj65

lots of people start with megs 3 step system... but i would recommend that you clay before you do anything as this will make more of a difference than anything else and will mean that when you are cleaning/polishing that you are not polishing bits of residual dirt/grit into your paintwork