Author Topic: Insurance changes upon fitting new alloys  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Adrena1in

• Not said much yet
Insurance changes upon fitting new alloys
« on: 18 January 2013, 13:20 »
Hi all,

I know my insurers are going to be the ones to give me the definitive answer on this, but I'm just interested to hear what other people's findings have been when changing their alloys and contacting their insurers.  (Must admit, it would never have occured to me to call my insurers when putting new wheels on.  I never did in the past.)

So, I've got a 2009 GTD with stock 17" Seatle Shadows, and I've just got hold of a set of 18" Monza Shadows.  The idea was to give the Monzas a good refurb as a little project over the coming months, and hopefully time it so that when the tyres on the Seatles need replacing, I'll put on Winters and fit the Monzas to the car.

Anyway, if anyone's done something similar, and contacted their Insurers, is there usually much of a difference on the premium?  I got quote something like £50 extra for an ECU Re-Map, so I can't imagine a different set of alloys would make much difference.

Ta.
2009 Golf GTD in Pearlescent Black.

Offline jdubgti

• Here all the time
Re: Insurance changes upon fitting new alloys
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2013, 03:03 »
Depends who you insure with !
I'm with Brentacre insurance and as long as I don't increase the BHP or considerably increase the value then anything else I can do and costs nothing, not even an admin charge !

Offline Adrena1in

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2013, 22:27 »
Thanks jdub.  I'm with Admiral and because I'm not really going to be increasing the value, I'm hoping there won't be a change on the premium.  Will have to wait and see.
2009 Golf GTD in Pearlescent Black.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2013, 22:42 »
Thanks jdub.  I'm with Admiral and because I'm not really going to be increasing the value, I'm hoping there won't be a change on the premium.  Will have to wait and see.

I was previously insured with Bell (sister company to admiral) and I declared a change of wheels when I had my Mk3 and it cost about £20 including the admin fee.