Author Topic: Clutch dead :( Likely cost? Worth upgrading? What exactly needs replacing?  (Read 24442 times)

Offline G60GTI16V

• I live here
  • GTI Mk1, 2, 3, 4 now VRS Hell Yea!
ye that would def be taken off for the job, when u let of the gas quick does it feel like theres a wobble then the body of the car feels like it moves back and forth then decreases speed if u get what i mean?

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Yeah thats one way of describing it mate.

I very much doubt the gearbox will be mounted to the engine "loosely" lol I don't understand how it all works but if you like its a forward backward motion then settles fine again.

Jerky, snatchy feeling when you come off the throttle as if theres a loose/worn mount. Was fine this morning but not as fine now. It's not shockingly bad, but as you may have all guessed, I'M ONE PICKY MOFO :D lol

Offline G60GTI16V

• I live here
if ur car is not that low or u got a jack handy prop it up a bit and grab the front and rear of the box and try rocking it, look at the dog bone to to see if there is any movement but i doubt it as u have uprated the bushes if im right in saying. "if" he didnt tighten up the bone u would get a bit of tick/knock noise as it bolts into the subframe and the angle of the bolts is the same as the movement so this is where the noise would come from so should be all tight as u have not said anyting about noise just the wobble.

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Yeah no noise or knocking or anything.. tis an odd one, will have to jack it up at weekend and do that, see if anything looks untoward to my untrained eye lol.

Offline G60GTI16V

• I live here
just give it forward and back movement make sure its firm also when its on all 4's lift the hood if u have the plastic engine off grab the right side of the head near to the black breather pipe and give it a shake dont know what else to surjest really bud these are the things i have done in my gti years... iv never used a garage to do any of my car work  :smiley: god knows how much i have saved over the past 5 years

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Will try get these things checked on sat :) Ta mate.

Been thinking about this some more.

2 differences from before which lead me to dog bone mount and however tight it is.

It's polybushed... now previously I had no jerk coming on or off the throttle, not snappy/snatchy/jerky at all really, BUT! I did have vibration in the cabin at up to 2k rpm when the car was under load.

Now, I've clicked today, said vibration has gone. Everything is very smooth under 2k, but as I say I get the jerk as if somethings moving forward and backward, just once, very quickly then settling. No noises though.

Just points me to assuming the dog bone mount isn't as tight??? Make sense or am I talking out me bum? lol

Offline G60GTI16V

• I live here
no not bum talk, sounds right as this is the item that suppresses the role of the engine which movement is transformed to the jerkiness if you get my flow...  :tongue:

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Yeah I immediately noticed tonight no vibration under 2k.. never clicked yest, which made me think straight of the polybushed dog bone mount not being on as tight.

Hopefullyyy thats all it is :)

Offline The Dave

• I live here
 Just wondered if anyone else had opinions re: dog bone or engine mounts?

Ta :)

Offline The Dave

• I live here
My mechanic was snowed under so didn't look at car today (I get mates rates so can't complain) so have properly booked it in for next thurs.

Anyways, popped the bonnet today, aint looked under it since I had the car done...

Couple of washers sitting on the wing edges, a loose airbox, battery cover been cut, nylon nuts here and there... the bumper had been off too but I can sort that myself so thought nothing of it... but mainly, this:

Took it off as it was hanging off anyways.. a plastic leg thing went straight through the top so it was flapping around. I flipped it over and saw this!

Can you believe he tried to fibreglass it back together?!?!

DO NOT BOTHER TRUSTING THE CLUTCHMAN IN STOKE-ON-TRENT is all I can say. Really pissed off. Went down but typically they were closed. He didn't do me a receipt either, said he'd post one so took my address, stillnothing there either so going in thurs. I expect he'll deny any damage but now I've got to pay my normal mechanic to have a look over the car, mounts, anything obviously missing in terms of nuts and bolts. Should have took it to him in the first place.

How much are engine covers? Want him to buy me a new one!