Author Topic: Clutch dead :( Likely cost? Worth upgrading? What exactly needs replacing?  (Read 24422 times)

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Thanks for the feedback mate it's much appreciated :D Not found much online about the valeo kit at all, just one chap claiming it's a proper G60 flywheel lol, who knows but aslong as it's all reliable I will be happy.

Heard only bad things about transmech so am glad the guy is gonna supply good kit for now what seems a great price in retrospect.

I assume all bolts etc came with the kit and nothing extra was needed? :)

Offline shedpainter

• Not said much yet
Yep, full kit includes solid flywheeel (and bolts to fix it to the crankshaft), friction plate, pressure plate (with bolts to fix it to the new flywheel) and release bearing.......oh
and a bit of grease to lubricate the splines on the friction plate/input shaft.

The clutch slave cylinder on mine is mounted externally, so there was no need to replace it 'while I was in there'.

Good luck - but it'll be fine!

Cheers

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Really appreciate your replies mate, thanks again :D

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Thought I'd update back with my initial observations/confirmations to stuff I've read, as it's been done today. The valeo full kit as mentioned was fitted, cost me £310 in the end. The old clutch did look very worn, was probably the original :) Car has done 133k now.

So;

1) Judders a bit when I pull off from standstill. I've read you do indeed need to slip the clutch more do to the solid flywheel, the DMF will have disguised my clutch control previously :D But if I do slip it more it's not too bad. Plus it's not bed in yet so I'm sure the feel will change.

2) The pedal is a bit lighter, not a huge huge amount. Although the kit is said to be designed in the bumf to have similar feel to OEM, which it does. Feels fine under my foot though :) Easy to adapt to.

3) The bite point is lower by quite a bit. No problem, stated elsewhere this happens.

4) The clutch is a lot more snatchy. Feels like a performance clutch lol. Also stated elsewhere.

5) No noises, rattling, vibrations etc at idle. All fine!

6) The gearchanges do feel a little bit sloppier. This is the bit where I have a little bit of concern. I want to check whatever mounts which will have been disturbed, are indeed tightened properly. Can anyone confirm what stuff needs checking? I have a polybush dog bone mount by the way.

7) In relation to the above, if I let of the throttle even when it's low throttle, there is a sort of obvious snatch/jerk and a feel of say worn mounts? No smoothness. If this is related to mounts or the fact the DMF has now gone, I'm unsure. Obviously I can compensate if I'm smoother on the throttle but it's as if the box isn't attached as "tight" as before. I'm no mechanic so it's all over my head really.

Points 6 and 7 are the only concerns of mine. Does anyone think it could be a case of say the dog bone mount needs to be tighter for example? Anything I should be having checked to confirm etc?

The poly dog bone mount is quite new as are all engine mounts too.

« Last Edit: 08 March 2010, 22:41 by The Dave »

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Cant say mine felt sloppier  :undecided:

Mine feels tight and i absolutely love the way it drives though im running THS performance engine mounts  :smiley:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline The Dave

• I live here
I guess the changes themselves aint so bad, it's as if the gearbox feels a bit more "loose" though? It's hard to put into words really. It's as if there is "movement" on the box if I'm not dead smooth? The changes are a little bit notchy but not "bad" if you get me, but it's cold out, and it's felt the same for a bit since winter came and low low temps all the time anyway. I intend to get the box oil changed soon as no idea when it was last done.

But moreso concerned with point 7 I guess out of my list :)

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
I guess the changes themselves aint so bad, it's as if the gearbox feels a bit more "loose" though? It's hard to put into words really. It's as if there is "movement" on the box if I'm not dead smooth? The changes are a little bit notchy but not "bad" if you get me, but it's cold out, and it's felt the same for a bit since winter came and low low temps all the time anyway. I intend to get the box oil changed soon as no idea when it was last done.

But moreso concerned with point 7 I guess out of my list :)

My guess is something has been left loose  :undecided:

Doesn't sound right to me.

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline The Dave

• I live here
If I know exactly what needs checking in terms of mounts and stuff I will get my usual mechanic to look at it for me, it's much more convenient lol.

Offline G60GTI16V

• I live here
  • GTI Mk1, 2, 3, 4 now VRS Hell Yea!
lol so many post for a little thing :grin: good to hear u got it changed shame u dont live near by i would have got underneath ur car on stands undone the box onto a jack wheeled it out made the changes get back under there with the box and slamed it back on. the joy of clutch changes  :laugh: done them on all my mk's  :cool: have to say the mk1 is the easiest u can put the box on ur chest and fit it on  :wink:
think my clutch on the 4 is on its way out soon its done 72k and the bites high and it judders when it slips when setting off  :evil:
« Last Edit: 08 March 2010, 23:46 by G60GTI16V »

Offline The Dave

• I live here
My old one just slipped under boost mainly in 3rd, 4th and 5th lol.

Nearly there though, just want it feel tight like it did before really. I am thinking dog bone will have a big effect here with point 6 and 7, I am assuming it'd need to be loosened or removed for a clutch swap? As I say I'm no mechanic, guessing game time lol