Author Topic: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?  (Read 318377 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?
« Reply #590 on: 23 May 2013, 11:18 »
Something for everyone to remember - the August shutdown. VW production will be closed for 2 or 3 weeks sometime at the end of July or first few weeks of August (weeks 31 and 32 I suspect) and we should see a gap in actual build dates as a result. Orders treated the same way for same spec placed a day apart could end up getting built a few weeks apart.

You can't get away from an annual shutdown in a high volume production environment. Lots of annual maintenance jobs (complete cleandown of paint shop booths and preventative maintenance on robots, air handling units for airtooling etc) get done along with planned line and building modifications that can't be squeezed in on a wekend (assuming they don't work them on CSPs anyway).

I used to work for a structural steelwork contractor at the Ford Transit van plant in Southampton - you'd be surprised how many changes get made to line and buildings all the time as a result of optimisations etc.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #591 on: 23 May 2013, 13:43 »
My dealer has just emailed me with the usual 2 week update. He has said mine is week 26 (same as VW UK said yesterday) but my dad's will be 2 or 3 weeks after (3 or 4 weeks later than VW UK said yesterday). Maybe it's to do with the "build date" window of a few weeks and maybe mine is at the front of a window and my dad's is at the back of it, or maybe there's just a big (4 week) margin of error between any 2 different VW UK representatives.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #592 on: 23 May 2013, 14:17 »
Mine is now "awaiting shipment"  :smiley:

Anyone know how long it typically takes to go from that point to actually arriving at the dealers?

The dealer told me it's missed the boat for this week. I would imagine there's a boat at least once a week?
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #593 on: 23 May 2013, 14:47 »
Provisional week 38 here...complete joke!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #594 on: 23 May 2013, 14:53 »
JoeGTI: From Germany to UK port is a 1 or 2 days, from port to dealership should be anywhere between 1 and 3 days (my dealership is about 8 miles from the Port of Tyne where it will be shipped to, so hopefully a day for me).

No idea whether yours goes straight to Ireland by ship (likely) or whether it gets shipped to the UK, transported across to a western port and then ferried to Ireland. If it goes straight to Ireland from Germany then maybe there is only one ship a week.

There used to be an excellent VW boat tracker on Scirocco Central forum and RW1 could track anything from there, but he died recently and no-one else has taken up his mantle. If you know the name of the boat and what port it would be coming to/leaving from there are websites to check the progress of ships. A few old boys from down the street use the website as I live above the mouth of the Tyne and they all do "boat spotting" with their high end camera gear as they sail by our street.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #595 on: 23 May 2013, 15:11 »
JoeGTI: From Germany to UK port is a 1 or 2 days, from port to dealership should be anywhere between 1 and 3 days (my dealership is about 8 miles from the Port of Tyne where it will be shipped to, so hopefully a day for me).

No idea whether yours goes straight to Ireland by ship (likely) or whether it gets shipped to the UK, transported across to a western port and then ferried to Ireland. If it goes straight to Ireland from Germany then maybe there is only one ship a week.

There used to be an excellent VW boat tracker on Scirocco Central forum and RW1 could track anything from there, but he died recently and no-one else has taken up his mantle. If you know the name of the boat and what port it would be coming to/leaving from there are websites to check the progress of ships. A few old boys from down the street use the website as I live above the mouth of the Tyne and they all do "boat spotting" with their high end camera gear as they sail by our street.

Thanks mate, yeah I remember looking at that thread on the Scirocco Central forum when I was waiting for my GTD! Wow, that guy died, oh my god, that's awful... he really knew his stuff on the shipping.

To the best of my knowledge, the cars are shipped directly to Ireland - to either Dublin or Cork as far as I know. I suppose it's just a question then of how often an Ireland-bound ship departs Germany... ? Once it's in Dublin, I'd expect it to be in the dealers by the following day.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #596 on: 23 May 2013, 15:21 »
Yeah Chris (RW1) died quite recently and suddenly. A big shock for all of us, and the forum is worse off for his departure. He had an amazing wealth of knowledge and was ready to help anyone. A sad time for all us Rocco owners.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #597 on: 23 May 2013, 17:26 »
OK, so my dealer just confirmed that my car missed the recent boat departing for Ireland and there isn't another one scheduled for a couple of weeks. He's not expecting to see it arrive until the 13th/14th of June. How slow are these bloody boats, it would nearly swim it in that time!

The delay kinda suits me in a way, as I was hoping not to register it anyway until July 1st (our registrations change to a "new" plate in July for the 2nd half of the calendar year).

Offline Torch

• Not said much yet
« Reply #598 on: 23 May 2013, 17:43 »
My Golf GTi was ordered on 30th April.
VW UK have confirmed a manufacture date of 26th August at the latest but are optimistic of bringing that forward.
Live in hope for September 1st.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #599 on: 24 May 2013, 07:51 »
One thing I can glean from my week 26 build date, the "no GTDs are being made before August" line appears to be bollocks and it would appear that if there is any VW sanctioned delay on GTD production compared to GTI then it is a matter of a few weeks (is week 24 still the earliest GTI order conformation for UK mainland orders?).