Author Topic: Removing a light plastic graze from paintwork  (Read 2337 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Removing a light plastic graze from paintwork
« Reply #10 on: 14 August 2019, 11:38 »
I scratched/cuffed the laquer on my GTI PP's bumper when putting a large box in the boot.  It was really noticable.  However I used the G3 compound which came in a tube, cannot think of the exact name.  But it really worked a treat and after a lot of effort and care while rubbing the compound in gentle over time, the scuff/scratch had completely disappeared and paint work appears as if new again.

It’s Farecla G3.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2019, 12:13 »
Yep, thats the stuff.  Was sceptical before I used it, but once I saw the results I was amazed how well it removed the scuff.  But I would air on the side of caution while using as i believe it smooths/blends the existing surrounding lacquer in to the scuffed area (hence thins the coating in the area used).  But I may be wrong about this as it has a been a long while since i last used it. 

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2019, 12:56 »
Yep, thats the stuff.  Was sceptical before I used it, but once I saw the results I was amazed how well it removed the scuff.  But I would air on the side of caution while using as i believe it smooths/blends the existing surrounding lacquer in to the scuffed area (hence thins the coating in the area used).  But I may be wrong about this as it has a been a long while since i last used it.

You are right - I mentioned G3 cutting compound earlier with a warning to go easy with it. That said, I've never gone all the way through any lacquer when using it (mainly on the wife's "scratch magnet")
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2019, 17:29 »
G3 compound is good BUT do a little at a time, if u go to hard it can cut too hard.
I found this out on my previous car trying to get a scratch out.
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.