Author Topic: Newbie here... I need your opinions!  (Read 17891 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Newbie here... I need your opinions!
« Reply #30 on: 04 November 2014, 17:02 »
I thought you wanted xenons? Personally I'd hold out for the car with the spec you want. I made the mistake with my Passat, thinking that I would retro fit them. Now when it comes down to it, I can't bring myself to part with the money.

If you do go for that car, make sure you keep the mats and MDI leads out of your GTD, as I doubt there will be any in the new car, every tho' there should be with it being an Approved Used.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 04 November 2014, 17:24 »
I thought you wanted xenons? Personally I'd hold out for the car with the spec you want. I made the mistake with my Passat, thinking that I would retro fit them. Now when it comes down to it, I can't bring myself to part with the money.

If you do go for that car, make sure you keep the mats and MDI leads out of your GTD, as I doubt there will be any in the new car, every tho' there should be with it being an Approved Used.

Yeah i do, but i've been looking for a few months now, and whilst xenons are rare enough its been impossible to find them on a car in my price range. i'll probably get them from xenonz.co.uk and then see if i can tempt someone off here with a free tank of fuel to fit them for me, my only option really.

and yeah, having spent £90 on a cable for my iphone6... for it not to work... i will most certainly be taking all of that with me hah but yeah cheers pal.
2011 3dr Mk6 GTI in CSG - Manual - RNS510/Bluetooth - Winter Pack - Optical Parking Assist - 18'' BBS SR Satin Grey - Few other bits' n bobs

Offline JayGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 05 November 2014, 08:19 »

Yeah i do, but i've been looking for a few months now, and whilst xenons are rare enough its been impossible to find them on a car in my price range. i'll probably get them from xenonz.co.uk and then see if i can tempt someone off here with a free tank of fuel to fit them for me, my only option really.

and yeah, having spent £90 on a cable for my iphone6... for it not to work... i will most certainly be taking all of that with me hah but yeah cheers pal.

Dude wait for one with factory fitted xenons! If not grab yourself an Ed35! or how about buy me that GTI and ill swap you my GTD for it :p
Deep black pearl GTD | 18" Charleston wheels | Kenwood DNX520VBT | VWR Springs | GTI backbox and diffuser | Red grill stripes | Bi-xenon LED Projector's with 6000K HID's | Full interior LED conversion | LED Number plate lights | Heko wind deflectors | JDM Broadway Rearview mirror | GTD Seat inserts | Stage 1+ remap | Vagcom gauge sweep | Vagcom large digital speedo | Vagcom teardrop wipers | WIFI OB2 connector w/ Dashcommands |

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #33 on: 05 November 2014, 14:02 »

[/quote]

Dude wait for one with factory fitted xenons! If not grab yourself an Ed35! or how about buy me that GTI and ill swap you my GTD for it :p
[/quote]

Whats your reasoning for holding out for a factory one though? No problems etc?

I was going to order a set from Xenonz.co.uk and then these guys http://www.vagtechnik.co.uk/ have said they will fit them for £130... however they are not sure about the MOT pass rate on them and i may need looms from kufertec? (no idea what that is...)

Seem like a good deal? Obviously if it aint gonna pass MOT then i wont be going that route... whats your thoughts?
2011 3dr Mk6 GTI in CSG - Manual - RNS510/Bluetooth - Winter Pack - Optical Parking Assist - 18'' BBS SR Satin Grey - Few other bits' n bobs

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 05 November 2014, 15:36 »
My reasoning for holding out for a car with them is that copies will still be copies.

I've said many times before, the aftermarket HID kits that are fitted in them do not give full power straight away, so are not suitable for flashing. Also I've yet to see aftermarket LEDs that match OEM ones. They all seem to have too much blue in them. The other concern I'd have is the beam pattern from the projectors. I'm sure they will be fine, but I'd doubt they'd be as good as the OEM ones that are designed to be used with gas discharge burners.

The MOT question I answered in your other thread.

If you do decide to get them, you won't need the Kufatec harnesses. These are only needed if you are fitting genuine OEM lights into a car that left the factory with halogens.

Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline JayGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #35 on: 05 November 2014, 17:23 »

Whats your reasoning for holding out for a factory one though? No problems etc?

I was going to order a set from Xenonz.co.uk and then these guys http://www.vagtechnik.co.uk/ have said they will fit them for £130... however they are not sure about the MOT pass rate on them and i may need looms from kufertec? (no idea what that is...)

Seem like a good deal? Obviously if it aint gonna pass MOT then i wont be going that route... whats your thoughts?

No problems..but just like dubber said, copies will always be copies and it's just not worth the trouble. My next cars from now on will without a doubt always be xenon specc'ed. This is my first halogen car

MOT was just fine with these on. Beam pattern, allignment, everything was fine and this was from VW dealers themselves. You don't need the looms at all..if theyre gonna charge you £130 i'd do it for you for £100!! except i wouldnt cos it'll take me 30 mins to install but a month to code. Guarantee they wont code it right. If i were you, do the research on vwgolf.net.au and also golfmk6.com. plenty of guys have these and every single one has trouble coding. Just search for ed's replicas

Only do it if you are very 100% sure you know what needs doing and how to do it and how the headlamps are wired (the LED's are physically wired as the sidelights - if you just install it, the LED's dont behave like OEM) The codes that xenonz send you do absolutely nothing
Deep black pearl GTD | 18" Charleston wheels | Kenwood DNX520VBT | VWR Springs | GTI backbox and diffuser | Red grill stripes | Bi-xenon LED Projector's with 6000K HID's | Full interior LED conversion | LED Number plate lights | Heko wind deflectors | JDM Broadway Rearview mirror | GTD Seat inserts | Stage 1+ remap | Vagcom gauge sweep | Vagcom large digital speedo | Vagcom teardrop wipers | WIFI OB2 connector w/ Dashcommands |

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #36 on: 05 November 2014, 17:57 »
thanks for the feedback.

so from the sounds of it i dont need to worry so much about the MOT... i dont mind the blue tint they have and actually quite like it, and i only flash people every now and then so thats not too much of a problem either.

JayGTD, i dont mean this to come across as rude at all so please dont take it like that! But if you've coded for yours surely you'd do a faster job on mine... especially with that £100 incentive ;). As i said dont take that rude just crap with words haha. Also do yours work like OEM now? I just want the LED's to be like permanently on really...

I've done alot of research on both of those and have screen shotted alot of the information and coding they have given ready to hand to the guys that im going to go and see... i would really love to tackle it myself... but owning a Mac and this being the first ever modification i make to a car i just don't have the confidence to attempt it.

much thanks.

Offline JayGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #37 on: 05 November 2014, 21:12 »
thanks for the feedback.

so from the sounds of it i dont need to worry so much about the MOT... i dont mind the blue tint they have and actually quite like it, and i only flash people every now and then so thats not too much of a problem either.

JayGTD, i dont mean this to come across as rude at all so please dont take it like that! But if you've coded for yours surely you'd do a faster job on mine... especially with that £100 incentive ;). As i said dont take that rude just crap with words haha. Also do yours work like OEM now? I just want the LED's to be like permanently on really...

I've done alot of research on both of those and have screen shotted alot of the information and coding they have given ready to hand to the guys that im going to go and see... i would really love to tackle it myself... but owning a Mac and this being the first ever modification i make to a car i just don't have the confidence to attempt it.

much thanks.

Nope! No worries about MOT at all dude. The blue tint isn't even blue..it's more like ice white. Tbh, the latest Mercs and Audi's out there with standard factory xenons are even more blue lol, even my girlfriend says so. It's only blue-ish at the cut off point due to the projectors

Nah dude not rude at all! Forums are for helping each other out! I totally would if it was easy to do haha. Plus my vagcom cable doesn't work anymore which is why I still haven't coded out the odd error that pops up every now and then. Mine does indeed work as OEM, my LED's are permanently on.

Before I had jumped the pins, basically to get the LED on during the day you have to have your lights switched on to the sidelight option which also turns on your rear lights and your plate lights, making you look like a right tool from behind. Before you do this, essentially your ECU will go crazy and throw errors all over the place because it is missing the DRL circuit and it assumes the bulbs have blown, so you have to code that out. You can't totally rely on the Golfmk6.com forums because they're american - not being racist - their cars are coded differently. Their rear fogs and reverse lights are switched around, so if you follow their coding exactly you will lose your rear fog function and also your reverse lights will go haywire..........see what I mean? You literally have to play with a tonne of different combinations before you can get it all to work properly and that took me about a month to do and it still throws up error codes every so often!

But who am i to say eh, maybe your guys can get it to work. They'll be pros at this stuff

The codes i used are:
Byte 14 check bit 3
Byte 15 Check bit 6 and 7
Byte 19 set to inactive bulb life extender (88)
Byte 24 check bit 7
Byte 27 check bit 2
Byte 18 (04 GTI rest of world)

This will only work for you too if you have rear LED tails and LED plate lights

Wish you best of luck dude
« Last Edit: 05 November 2014, 21:15 by JayGTD »

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #38 on: 05 November 2014, 21:25 »
thanks for the feedback.

much thanks.

Nope! No worries about MOT at all dude. The blue tint isn't even blue..it's more like ice white. Tbh, the latest Mercs and Audi's out there with standard factory xenons are even more blue lol, even my girlfriend says so. It's only blue-ish at the cut off point due to the projectors

Nah dude not rude at all! Forums are for helping each other out! I totally would if it was easy to do haha. Plus my vagcom cable doesn't work anymore which is why I still haven't coded out the odd error that pops up every now and then. Mine does indeed work as OEM, my LED's are permanently on.

Before I had jumped the pins, basically to get the LED on during the day you have to have your lights switched on to the sidelight option which also turns on your rear lights and your plate lights, making you look like a right tool from behind. Before you do this, essentially your ECU will go crazy and throw errors all over the place because it is missing the DRL circuit and it assumes the bulbs have blown, so you have to code that out. You can't totally rely on the Golfmk6.com forums because they're american - not being racist - their cars are coded differently. Their rear fogs and reverse lights are switched around, so if you follow their coding exactly you will lose your rear fog function and also your reverse lights will go haywire..........see what I mean? You literally have to play with a tonne of different combinations before you can get it all to work properly and that took me about a month to do and it still throws up error codes every so often!

But who am i to say eh, maybe your guys can get it to work. They'll be pros at this stuff

The codes i used are:
Byte 14 check bit 3
Byte 15 Check bit 6 and 7
Byte 19 set to inactive bulb life extender (88)
Byte 24 check bit 7
Byte 27 check bit 2
Byte 18 (04 GTI rest of world)

This will only work for you too if you have rear LED tails and LED plate lights

Wish you best of luck dude

Thanks a bunch man, i guess each time error codes come up i'll have to take it back though. Hopefully should have all this done in about 3/4 weeks time...

thanks again.

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 06 November 2014, 17:41 »
JayGTD when your lights do throw an error, do you know what code it is? Or when it does throw a code is it when you switch the lights on? Do you ever get an error from turning the car on?
Cheers
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.