Author Topic: The DVLA Information Thread  (Read 131984 times)

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
The DVLA Information Thread
« on: 12 September 2009, 16:09 »
I have noticed that a few of you have issues with the way in which the DVLA handle your sh!t.. well i have decided to try to help you guys out by creating a thread with as much information as i can find/know on the subject.

I worked in the DVLA for 6yrs, 4 of them fast keying (entering data), 2 years on the MOT Mismatch team, dealing with the new mot system and correcting the mot certs that test centres have incorrectly entered. My missus also works for the DVLA so anything i might not be able to answer she should as she works for a VIP (vehicles input) team although anything to do with driving licences we might struggle with...

I will update this original post everytime a question is answered so you wont have to trawl through loads of trash to find out answers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DVLA is split into two parts.. Drivers and Vehicles.. and they both work independent of each other.. There are two enquiry lines Driving related queries are on 0300 790 6801... And Vehicle related queries are on 0300 790 6802...Staffed telephone enquiry hours: 8:00 am - 8:30 pm Monday to Friday and 8:00 am - 5.30 pm on Saturday. Outside these times you normally will be able to listen to a variety of messages covering the most commonly asked question on driver and vehicle licensing and vehicle registration

If you wish to check the status of your vehicle you can do that here... DVLA Enquiry Page which will provide you with up to date information such as whether your vehicle is sorn'd etc..

Taxing

When it comes to Taxing a vehicle there are a couple of ways of doing it, the Post office, the Local Office, or Online..

To tax you require, your logbook (V5), Copy of Insurance, Copy of MOT.. if you have the Tax reminder i would take that also as otherwise you will need to fill out a V10.

If you wish to tax online you will need either the 16 digit reference number shown on your renewal reminder, or the 11 digit reference number from your Registration Document/Certificate (also known as the Logbook) and your vehicle registration mark (numberplate).

If you have bought a vehicle and you haven't received the logbook yet, you can apply for your tax using a V62 and provided you have the keepers supplement (Green slip bottom of v5) you can tax for free, otherwise i believe its £19. The New Keeper Supplement can only be used for taxing for two months from the date you bought your vehicle.

If heaven forbid you lose your tax disc/have it stolen from your vehicle, you can apply for a duplicate tax disc, this can be done on a V20 which can be downloaded of sourced from the PO/LO. Theres a charge i believe of £7 for the service..You can either send the paperwork into the DVLA or pay for it through the Local Office.. Heres the online copy.. V20

If you require a Tax Refund, this can be done on a V14, you can get these from the PO or download (click the link).. You need to post your refund application before the first day of the month that you are claiming the refund. You also need to tell DVLA why you are applying for a refund.Your application will be rejected if you don't give these details and a rejection letter sent to you. The name on the refund application should also match exactly what’s on your vehicle registration certificate (V5C).If you haven’t already told DVLA about any of the notices mentioned you can send one with your refund application. Do not apply for a refund if your vehicle is in the process of having its registration number transferred or retained. The tax disc will be dealt with at the time of the transfer or retention application.A refund is paid for each full month left to run on the tax disc at the time you apply. For example, if your tax disc expires at the end of September and you apply during July you'll receive a refund for two months – August and September. If you have a six-month tax disc you paid an extra ten per cent handling charge when you bought it. This is not included as part of your refund. Refunds may take up to six weeks to process.

You can check what tax you need to pay here...Tax Bands

If you are interested you can check HERE to see how the tax will change in April 2010

You can't tax your vehicle until your insurance certificate arrives or your insurance cover for your vehicle has been updated on the Motor Insurance Database. You must keep your vehicle off the road in the meantime. If you are taxing your vehicle using the DVLA’s vehicle online service, then you’ll need to wait until MID has updated before applying. You can check online to see if your insurance has updated, you can check to see if your vehicle is showing as insured by going to this link..Insurance Database

If you intend to renew your vehicle tax you should do so before your current tax disc expires. However, this isn’t always possible if you are waiting for insurance or getting an MOT for your vehicle.

You’ll be committing an offence if you use or keep your vehicle on the public road without a current tax disc. If you can’t get a tax disc, you must remove your vehicle off the road.

You’ll have 14 days to get a tax disc or make a SORN, while your vehicle is off the road

Right i think thats enough about Taxing.. Lets move on to...

MOTS

An MOT test is needed every year for:
* cars, motorcycles, motor caravans and light goods vehicles that are more than three years old
* passenger carrying vehicles with more than eight seats and taxis (not including private hire vehicles) that are more than one year old

You can check the expiry date of your current MOT online or by calling the ‘MOT status check service’ on 0870 330 0444.

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle. This is also for vehicles being driven to and from a pre-arranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test.

If you have lost, stolen or have a damaged MOT certificate you can get a duplicate from any MOT testing station for the fee of £10. You’ll need to provide the vehicle registration mark and reference number shown on your registration certificate (V5C).

Sometimes you might be running an historic vehicle and you might have issues with your MOT displaying a chassis number that is infact a model number etc.. you can speak to the owners club for that vehicle who can advise you further on the chassis number location, what it all means etc etc.. their info can be found here..Vehicle Owners Clubs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following website is a must if you are buying a car.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/html/home.html

for example see this ad being advertised on Ebay with Genuine 40,000 miles  :undecided:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280468479599&_trksid=p2761.l1259

Request either the mot certificate number or V5 doc ref number with the registration.

IE on this car is REG = LM02 AXK
MOT cert = 360542930042

On Mot info web site - click on Request History.

you will see on this car in August 2008 it was recorded 101K  :grin:

Saves you even leaving the house to view a car.

« Last Edit: 01 March 2010, 17:51 by bored_Welsh_lad »
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
Re: The DVLA Information Thread
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2009, 16:35 »
Hows that for you so far...

Any questions Fire Away.. my eyes are hurting and so is my head... so i'll update more laters...
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2009, 17:25 »
I scrapped my old car when i brought my new mk6 gti(gov scrappage scheme) about 7 weeks ago,dvla has just sent a tax reminder to me for the old car which has been scrapped/is now in dealers hands,do i just ignore this as i`m no longer the owner ?the dealer said just send the form back and says its sorn,on the tax docs it says not to do this if its been scrapped ? :undecided: :undecided:
thanks for any advice
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2009, 18:29 »
I scrapped my old car when i brought my new mk6 gti(gov scrappage scheme) about 7 weeks ago,dvla has just sent a tax reminder to me for the old car which has been scrapped/is now in dealers hands,do i just ignore this as i`m no longer the owner ?the dealer said just send the form back and says its sorn,on the tax docs it says not to do this if its been scrapped ? :undecided: :undecided:
thanks for any advice

I would write back to the DVLA including the tax reminder, copy of the paperwork from the scrappage scheme and i would be tempted to sorn it online just to make sure you dont have any comeback as you still are registered as the current keeper.. in the letter state that the car was used as part of the scrappage scheme and they should put a marker on the record which would mean the car should never see the road again, you see some of the dealers are being crafty as f**k and not actually scrapping the cars but claiming the money from the government.. there are some major issues with the current scrappage scheme and the DVLA/Dealers.. So cover your own ass.. SORN it online and write to the DVLA.

On a secondary note, i would not ignore any letter the DVLA send you, even if you have sold the car.. Normally there will be an operators name and a direct phone number.. normally 01792 78xxxx, this is one of the VIP teams, these are divided into reg mark pools and they will deal with that reg mark range specifically...

Something else that might scare all of you.. Say you go on hols for a month.. and your ex missus decides to rock up and tow your car away and apply for the logbook... you will recieve a letter saying "mrs x" has applied for a logbook, if you are still the owner, please reply within 14 days.. well obviously you are not there to reply.. The problem being is that if you dont reply.. they will become the new keeper.. and then it becomes a civil dispute.. (chuff.. dont even think about popping to leeming and nicking my car.. im home in 2 weeks)

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2009, 18:40 »
thanks for any advice

RING the dvla ASAP. or prepare for a £80 fine  :wink:

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2009, 19:04 »
thanks for any advice

RING the dvla ASAP. or prepare for a £80 fine  :wink:

I would put everything into writing and sorn it online before talking to someone there.. you see i have a little story about this...

I sold a car.. while working there i brought the v5 to work and had someone(my boss) take it to the correct department to get it scanned onto the system.. a month later i got a letter saying i was being fined for not taxing or sorning a vehicle.. i phoned up and explained i worked there.. explained i had the form taken down and scanned it with the scrap marker set.. they said ok no worries i will remove the debt.. a month later another letter.. this time i wrote back .. i got nothing .. 2 weeks later a court summons.. so i went to court.. explained the situation and got it thrown out, all within 7 minutes (i took a letter from my boss saying she had taken it down etc)... so i wouldn't rely on phonecalls only.. hense why i said to sorn it online.. that way you have proof its done and can physically check online and see if its showing as sorn..

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2009, 22:33 »
Wont let me sorn it online it says because of recent changes you can not sorn online,Should`nt the dealership deal with this and why has it come to my address when i used the car for the goverments scrappage scheme It also says don`t sorn a car if you no longer own it :undecided: I`ll ring them on monday bit p issed off as i should`nt need to be doing this,first i get the docs for my mk6 golf gti saying its a polo gti,now i get the tax reminder for a car that was used in the scrappage scheme 7 weeks ago :angry: :angry:Mind you it was in my wifes name so she will get the fine  :laugh: but i`ll have to pay it :cry:
« Last Edit: 12 September 2009, 22:43 by simonpolly »
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2009, 22:55 »
Cracking thread BWL :afro:

When you get another mo, maybe a bit on transferring cherished plates.  :smiley:

Oh, and Mods/Admins - worthy of a sticky! :wink:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2009, 23:23 »
i got one for u i bought a golf on the 21 of last month i recieve log book for it yesterday so i sorn it straight away online any as i was goin thru the proccess it comes up warning there has been a gap in the sorn or tax since the 21st of last month this is a offence and does carry a fine

how am i ment to sorn the car the day i buy it with out the relavent ref numbers ect

any ideas what may come of this ?

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2009, 04:16 »
i got one for u i bought a golf on the 21 of last month i recieve log book for it yesterday so i sorn it straight away online any as i was goin thru the proccess it comes up warning there has been a gap in the sorn or tax since the 21st of last month this is a offence and does carry a fine

how am i ment to sorn the car the day i buy it with out the relavent ref numbers ect

any ideas what may come of this ?

I have just emailed my missus to check on this one, if the Previous owner had a refund on the tax disc, i would expect that to start from september 1st.. There are different rules regarding sorn of a vehicle is a motor trader has it.. so did you buy it private or from a showroom??

I think that this is just a generic message but for future reference, i am sure that the 16 digit number you are required to provide from the logbook to sorn is actually also on the new keepers supplement.. again i shall check this with the missus, so you could have sorn'd using the number on the new keepers supplement while waiting for the logbook to arrive in your name.

edit...

he is meant to fill in a v890 and attach it to the v5c when he bought it dated the 21st, it is probably due to the previous keeper applying for a refund as they should have ticked the sorn box on there refund application covering them until the v5c had been keyed into the system, i cant see him having a fine, when a keeper change has taken place they seem to go after the previous keeper if anything is wrong, providing you havent left it over a month before your own sorn date has gone in you should be fine,

the previous keeper must have provided them with a disposal date (date which he sold it) as due to the new laws that came in in jan 09' no-one can have a refund on a tax disc without a 'date of event', basically you have to tell them your sorning the vehicle or you have sold the vehicle in order to get your money back, he must have told them he had sold it,
« Last Edit: 13 September 2009, 09:22 by bored_Welsh_lad »