Author Topic: Bumper Damage  (Read 4024 times)

Offline DarrenW

• Not said much yet
Bumper Damage
« on: 13 March 2019, 09:42 »
Had a bit of a run in with a badger last night.

Anyone know roughly how much to replace the bumper, fog light, wheel arch lining and undertray?

Trying to weigh up claiming on insurance or just paying for it myself.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Bumper Damage
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2019, 10:12 »
Ouch...  :sad:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2019, 10:48 »
Isn't this the whole point of insurance?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline DarrenW

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2019, 10:56 »
Yeah but with a £500 excess it’s always worth seeing if it’s cheaper to pay for it myself.

I can’t imagine that lot will come in under £500 though.

Offline NewbieGTIP

• Not said much yet
  • If it ain’t broke..... it probably soon will be.
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2019, 11:00 »
It’s a weighing up job when It comes to insurance. I’ve been in insurance for 15 years although not really dealt with the car side of things for last couple of years. ‘Technically’ you’re meant to tell an insurance company of any accidents regardless of wether a claim has been made, but realistically who will do that? Tally up the total cost so excess, + effect on insurance for a fault claim for not only your own vehicle but any your named as a driver on the insurance for 3 years. Best way to do this is to do a quote online using your own details without a claim and then another with same details but as Joe Bloggs or summit slightly different postcode etc (due to insurers exchanging info you don’t want them digging) with a fault claim. Bit of a farce I know but only way to weigh up the costs.
#330 Gti Clubsport.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2019, 11:02 »
Still probably cheaper to get it done yourself and not have that on your insurance record.

You'll be paying the 500 excess and then they'll up your premiums for at least 5 years. Plus when they put that through their "approved" repairer the bill will be eye watering and far more than getting a good local guy to do it for you.

Sounds illogical but there you go.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2019, 11:08 »
Shame the badger was not lodged in the hole as might have made it look ok with it being colour coded black and white....  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2019, 11:10 »
Yeah but with a £500 excess it’s always worth seeing if it’s cheaper to pay for it myself.

I can’t imagine that lot will come in under £500 though.
A few years ago I had a rear bumper replaced by VW on a MK7 Golf (just a normal Match Edition). Total bill for the new rear bumper, spraying (limestone grey), parking sensors, number plate, sundries, fitment etc was £980. So given the things needed for your bumper I think it's safe to say it's easily going to be a £1000+ job.  :sad:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2019, 11:16 »
The insurer's repairers will go to town - buying OEM VW parts, no reusing anything. I'd imagine just the parts bill will be more than 1k, then add spraying and labour...

Plus you'll be paying the "kickback" that the repairers have to pay the insurance company.

Its a rotten old game.

Someone more sympathetic might use scrapyard parts and only replace what is broken, reusing as much as possible.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC