Author Topic: Insurance laws - MUST be insured unless SORN'd?!  (Read 8156 times)

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Insurance laws - MUST be insured unless SORN'd?!
« on: 06 February 2015, 16:15 »
So I am out of the country for a couple of months, my tax is still current but my insurance runs out at the end of the month and I have told them I DO NOT want a renewal as I'll be wasting money having it insured while I'm not able to drive it.

Now the email states: You should also be aware that, if there is no record on the Motor Insurance Database showing your vehicle is insured, and you have not declared it 'off road', you will receive a letter warning you that you could face a fine, prosecution, and the vehicle could be clamped, seized and ultimately, destroyed.

Now they'll have a job trying to sieze my car as it will be on a military base....So main questions are, will I get a fine if it is uninsured for 2 months (2 months max) & will it affect my records etc?

Thanks  :smiley:

Offline Waspy

• I live here
Re: Insurance laws - MUST be insured unless SORN'd?!
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2015, 19:02 »
Yep. As its all electronic, a fine can (I doubt they would) come instantly. They is no grace period, I believe.

Just SORN it! It's so easy now its online it takes 2 mins max, literally. You will save two months tax as well since you get an automatic refund. Easy as pie to re tax when you get home too.

Why would you not SORN it?
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2015, 23:56 »
Yep. As its all electronic, a fine can (I doubt they would) come instantly. They is no grace period, I believe.

Just SORN it! It's so easy now its online it takes 2 mins max, literally. You will save two months tax as well since you get an automatic refund. Easy as pie to re tax when you get home too.

Hmmmmmm.....Bloody awkward if you ask me. I've had trouble with the online system before as I used the reminder to SORN it, then couldn't tax it without calling up (which is time and effort). I'll save £26 tops if I sorn it but I'll have to worry about it when I come back. I'm away for 2 months on a very busy work trip to the US, so I'm going to be knackered when I come back, I'd rather just leave it taxed.

:undecided: Bloody lawsssssssssssss!

What sort of fine are we talking here, and would it make a difference if it was taxxed but NOT on a public highway, ie private land?

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2015, 00:04 »

Hmmmmmm.....Bloody awkward if you ask me. I've had trouble with the online system before as I used the reminder to SORN it, then couldn't tax it without calling up (which is time and effort). I'll save £26 tops if I sorn it but I'll have to worry about it when I come back. I'm away for 2 months on a very busy work trip to the US, so I'm going to be knackered when I come back, I'd rather just leave it taxed.

:undecided: Bloody lawsssssssssssss!

What sort of fine are we talking here, and would it make a difference if it was taxxed but NOT on a public highway, ie private land?

Only difference it would make would be that they couldn't tow it.

The three options against you are:

Fixed fine of 100 quid
Get it towed (no on private land they won't)
Court with a max fine of £1k

Who are you insured with? A lot of them offer "layed up" insurance. Which is basically insurance for exactly what you want. It means the car would still comply with the continuos insurance law, but would be cheaper than a full policy.

SORNing is by far the cheapest (and easiest IMO) though. But obviously you have your reasons why you don't want to do that
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2015, 15:35 »
I'd rather not get finned £100! Guess the whole law makes sense really...

I'll SORN it... :lipsrsealed: