Author Topic: Fred's Thoughts on Mk8 GTI ownership  (Read 16617 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Fred's Thoughts on Mk8 GTI ownership
« Reply #70 on: 12 March 2021, 07:57 »
Additionally the green turn lights on the dash are obscured by the steering wheel. It might just be my seat position but...
For me too but it's only the left that's obscured.  Wait....have I developed a 'gangsta-lean'?  :cool: :grin:  Does the GTI have a smaller wheel than the rest of the range and it wasn't taken into account during the dash design phase, maybe?

Not necessarily a design oversight - height of the driver, how the driver has their seat and the steering wheel adjusted will all be factors in whether or not certain parts of the instrumentation display are obscured. The ‘ideal’ steering wheel position for me in my last car meant the rim of the wheel obscured the top of the speedo. I adjusted the wheel to be slightly higher which cured the issue, and soon got used to the new steering wheel position.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #71 on: 12 March 2021, 08:12 »
I can't remember where the turn indicators were on the mk7.5, but on the mk8 they are at extremes on the left and right of the aid. Separate lights. To be able to see them i think I'd need to be nearer to the steering wheel...and that's not a good idea with an airbag equipped wheel.

I think the problem might be caused by the performance golfs having a thicker steering wheel than a normal one?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #72 on: 12 March 2021, 15:04 »
See what I mean.... about the indicators

Mk8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfEw2iP8sAA  (look at around 7:20)

Mk7.5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YasOJyXC0V4  (look at around 1:10)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #73 on: 12 March 2021, 19:19 »
See what I mean.... about the indicators

Mk8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfEw2iP8sAA  (look at around 7:20)

Mk7.5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YasOJyXC0V4  (look at around 1:10)

Ah, I see where you’re coming from - the position of flashing green indicator turn symbol on the mk8 AID is now outboard of the dials whereas on the mk7.5 it was inboard.

They’re in a similar position on the AID in my Polo GTI+ as they are in the mk8 - I’ll need to consciously check to see how visible they are. As you’ve said, the thicker rim of the mk8’s steering wheel might be the issue; the steering wheel in my car is the same style as the one in the mk7.5 with the thinner rim, so that might be why I’ve not noticed this issue in my car.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #74 on: 12 March 2021, 20:17 »
I had another look today and its actually my hands that obscure it... At ten to two my hands cover it. I can see it when I am turning but after that... Not so much.

I don't think there is much I can do about that either. I've thought about seat height and steering wheel height short of effectively having the setup so I'm holding the wheel "easy rider" ape hanger style, i don't think i can fix it  :cry:

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #75 on: 13 March 2021, 03:34 »
....Does the GTI have a smaller wheel than the rest of the range and it wasn't taken into account during the dash design phase, maybe?

Completely off topic, but have you seen the Peugeot 308's i-cockpit dash?  Many hours of careful analysis and design has resulted in the steering wheel upper rim perfectly obscuring all the instruments!  Alternatively, if you want to actually see the instruments, the steering wheel must be positioned ridiculously low in your lap.  Utter lunacy.

But anyway, as you were....
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #76 on: 13 March 2021, 09:45 »
....Does the GTI have a smaller wheel than the rest of the range and it wasn't taken into account during the dash design phase, maybe?

Completely off topic, but have you seen the Peugeot 308's i-cockpit dash?  Many hours of careful analysis and design has resulted in the steering wheel upper rim perfectly obscuring all the instruments!  Alternatively, if you want to actually see the instruments, the steering wheel must be positioned ridiculously low in your lap.  Utter lunacy.

I had a 308 rental car in France a few years ago and noted that it felt well built, did incredible fuel economy (my maths had it easily in the 70s mpg), you couldn't see out of it down either side and yes, the steering wheel was so small it obscured almost all the instruments!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #77 on: 13 March 2021, 22:51 »

I haven't.  Wouldn't touch a French car with a 10-foot baguette!
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #78 on: 15 March 2021, 00:06 »
Hey Vw is the wake up word, and  you can set the heated wheel to remember your settings....to do it you have to do the opposite of what men do and read the manual  :laugh:
Dave.  I just read back over this thread and realised that you are the reason I was unable to communicate with the car.  You told me it was "Hey VW" and so I tried that and "Hey Volkswagen" over and over to no avail.

It's "Hello Volkswagen" and "Hey" doesn't work.  :grin:

Although, despite not being able to pick up on that, it randomly activated when I was talking about what I was thinking of having from the take-away the other night.

Still not looked up the heated steering wheel thing....but I did figure out how to have the passenger mirror dip on reverse, all by myself! :smiley:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #79 on: 15 March 2021, 09:01 »
It was meant to say hello vw(which works for me).predictive text lol