Author Topic: HOW TO: remove sunroof  (Read 8464 times)

Offline FBF

• Here all the time
HOW TO: remove sunroof
« on: 01 February 2006, 23:16 »
right couldnt find much info on doing this and its simple enough to do so im contributing to this site for all the info ive had in return.

open the sunroof an inch if you can.  the headlining within the sunroof itself can then be pulled down from the front of the car as its held on by poppers, this pic shows the 5 metal poppers after the roof has been removed and the headlining is still in place, they are only at the front

now the headlining can be pushed back in to the cars roof and thats out of the way.  bear in mind it will go further back if you open the roof after this point so you can grab it if you need to open the roof....

TIP: keep the roof closed as far as you can as this is the key to knot scratching the top when you remove it in 5 mins time

now thats the hard part over and that wasn't even hard.
next you need to remove 8 screws to actually loosen the roof so its removable undo these ones at the rear of the sun roof on each side and remove the gold plate that keeps it all in place,  note the black metal strip that is sprung loaded on the black plastic wheel?  this can be moved out and will sit against the roof out of the way. 

make sure you keep all the screws and parts together now children.

then remove the 4 screws at the front. 2 on each side.

TIP: these can be tightly fitted so always use the correct screw driver, cos once you've threaded the heads on these you are stuck with a bigger job. i had to use a impact drill to remove mine initially but a little heat may be another way to get them out although id not recommend this unless you are in to painting your car again.

with the 4 screws out you can simply remove the runners and the roof is free.

a little help may be handy here as you are about to lift the roof out over the top of the car. make sure you have a soft blanket or old bit of carpet to put the roof on so you can see all the parts  i managed quite easily to lift mine out and pass it over the roof to my other hand without touching any part of the car.
hey presto the roof is out

now what you do with it is up to you.  i have a part missing on my roof which is making it sit lower at the rear and letting water in.
it is adjustable but mine is missing on one side

and this side is missing. 

you can undo the screw and adjust the height of these to make a tighter fit,  but be warned if you go too high you may damage something  id go a few notched and the fit it all again see if that helps.

also if the roof is lower at the front and letting in water there is a simple adjustment under this part.

just undo the two screws and tunr the large screw underneath higher or lower depending on what you want to achieve

i will update when i have the part i need to put it all back together but id think it goes back in the same way it came out

TIP:  at this point a little grease wont go amiss but dont over do it you'll have it all over the headlining.  what ever you do DONT spray WD40 on anything,  this will remove the grease