Author Topic: nurburgring trip  (Read 17638 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: nurburgring trip
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2012, 23:24 »
so what your saying is no one can go on the ring because we havent got insurance???

Correct.

i would hazard a guess that a vast majority of people dont have insurance for uk trackdays either its not the most ideal thing but due to silly prices etc it made it go that way !!!

You *can* get insurance for your car on track days, but if you read the disclaimer you sign before you go on track you'll notice that you accept if you destroy your car it's your look out and if anyone else destroys your car it's your look out.  Normally there is a massive excess as well.  It's designed for people with valuable cars.

out of interest do you have insurance for your track days and ring trips?? if yes why not post up where from and how much to give others an idea of what it cost rather than just coming across as a warrior why no help ???

Nope.  Don't need insurance for track days.  This is why my video was from a track day.  If I f*ck up my liability ends with the barriers on the 'ring.  On UK track days my liability ends with my car, which I can afford to lose.  The Ferrari 599XX owner I hit will just have to take it on the nose (and their insurance would pay out).

I'm helping, by telling you not to take your car on TF without insurance, because you probably don't want a huge legal battle if you f*ck up, or some plank drives their 911 into you.

Plus if I *did* have insurance that didn't have a 'ring exclusion, why would I tell someone like you who to insure with?  If you went out there and drove into the barriers and then claimed - oh look at that - a new exclusion written into my policy the very next year.

HTHs.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline westallc

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 24 February 2012, 00:52 »

so if you crash into another car on a track day ( your fault ) then its tough??? as that how i read it !!! ( p.s if you is on a uk trackday and drove into my car because you was driving like a tool you would be paying for the damage )

i guess its up to the driver if he wants to risk it and i guess 90% of people take the risk so again even with your comments no one will listen to you at a guess ;-)

have to say you have baffled me but it is late lol
« Last Edit: 24 February 2012, 00:54 by westallc »

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2012, 01:32 »
You're going to love this then.

The banger rally I'm doing this year, we're all going to the ring!  Over 60 cars costing £333 or less racing around it  :grin:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #13 on: 24 February 2012, 09:12 »
so if you crash into another car on a track day ( your fault ) then its tough??? as that how i read it !!! ( p.s if you is on a uk trackday and drove into my car because you was driving like a tool you would be paying for the damage )

You need to actually read the disclaimer when you go to a track day - it is totally at your own risk and it wouldn't matter what happened with an incident - you would not be able to make another driver pay for the damage to your car.  I'm alarmed that you even think this way, as it illustrates how poorly informed you are about the risks you are taking.  Only ever take a car to a track day that you can afford to completely lose.

The idea is that these events are well enough managed that marshals spot anyone behaving like a tool and remove them, but accidents can still happen and you would have no recourse.  Not even if you came up to me and threatened me afterwards: that would just lead to the police being involved.

i guess its up to the driver if he wants to risk it and i guess 90% of people take the risk so again even with your comments no one will listen to you at a guess

*shrugs* It's your liability - you only have your house and tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds to lose.

You're going to love this then.

The banger rally I'm doing this year, we're all going to the ring!  Over 60 cars costing £333 or less racing around it 

Well yeehah.  What you're doing sends a cold shiver down my spine, frankly.

I know at least one person with a well prepared track car who was side-swiped by some tool in a Sierra on the 'ring who was doing exactly as you've outlined above.  The only reason he wasn't killed was because he had a full cage in the Golf he was in.  I would recommend you consider very seriously what you're proposing.  Racing around the one way toll road in sheds is a very poor idea on tourist fahren (tourist driving) as all of the rules of the road apply.  I recommend you review the risk you are taking very carefully: the 'ring kills people and can ruin lives.

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2012, 13:31 »
I'm sure the event organisers wouldn't recommend it unless they thought it was fine, they've been running these rallies for several years now.

Main thing is not to exceed your cars ability, and check then double check mirrors often.

I can't vouch for Germany, but over here I was taught if a faster car is coming you indicate to the side and move to let them through. People often confuse these track scenarios with races.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2012, 13:35 by bobbarley »

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2012, 14:14 »
I'm sure the event organisers wouldn't recommend it unless they thought it was fine, they've been running these rallies for several years now.

Ask them and don't settle for anything less than a complete explanation of how you're insured, because as a 'watcher' of these things I think they're ignoring the issue.

I don't think you've been out there before and if you haven't you cannot possibly understand the complete riot that is TF.  It's all well and good 'not exceeding your car's ability' but the point of the 'ring is that it was design to do just that and it has numerous unexpected challenges and weird things that WILL catch you with your pants down.

Big bump on where you think the line is on very fast off-camber sweeping bend? Schwedenkreuz is your man for that.

Blind crest that looks like it bears right yet is flat-out and straight on?  Step right up Pflanzgarten3.

Massively tightening left-right after a really fast section?  Come on down Adenaur Forst.

You WILL get f*cked up.

It CAN get very expensive and painful.

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 24 February 2012, 14:41 »
Out of curiously DH, whe was the first time you visited the ring to put some laps in? Imagine you've been a few times now? What car did you take with you?

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #17 on: 24 February 2012, 16:45 »
I went first in 2002 with a MINI, which was a company car and I checked it over that I was going with the MD and accounts before I went: all cleared with them.  :grin:

Offline tigerj360

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 24 February 2012, 17:34 »
You make the ring sound like a scary beast DH! and I believe you!

But is there any hope for people who want to go first time? any advise on a first trip to the ring?

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #19 on: 24 February 2012, 18:30 »
Find some people you trust and share the driving on a track day organised by a UK Track Day Operator (TDO), such as:

http://www.destination-nurburgring.com/

When I last did one there were four of us driving my Golf and we all got at least five laps in on the day.  Unless you are trying to kill yourself (or you're Hurdy) that'll be enough for most people.  If you can get more in - great, but the trick is to enjoy each lap rather than trying to get as many in as possible.  It'll cost you around £125 per person for the day, plus fuel, plus travel costs, but the experience will last way longer than the memory of the costs.

Let the TDO know you haven't driven it before.  They will look after you

Get passenger laps before you drive.

Take a spotter who knows the track out with you on as many laps as you can.

If you can afford it, rent from one of the companies around the track, like Rent 4 Ring, where Dale Lomas works.

http://www.rent4ring.de/

Dale's site is here and is useful:

http://bridgetogantry.com

Probably THE key N'ring community for (mostly) UK people is here:

http://www.northloop.co.uk/forum/forum.php