Author Topic: battery relocation and washer bottle mk2  (Read 7367 times)

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
battery relocation and washer bottle mk2
« on: 20 November 2011, 18:28 »
what have u done and what have u used to hold battery in any pics would be great  :smiley:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Re: battery relocation and washer bottle mk2
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2011, 22:37 »
You can just buy two hooked rods with threads and a bar with holes to gauge the width and height then proceed to hook the rods in the boot. Then use butterfly nuts to hold down the bar.
Or get a nice tough battery box made like I did!

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2011, 22:56 »
I made a frame for the battery to sit in, bolted that in and put a metal strap over the battery.  If I did it again I'd use plastic for the strap. 

If it's in the car you MUST have a container over the battery: no one looks good in battery acid.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline apie2004

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2011, 23:14 »
Simon Weston?

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2011, 09:07 »
Here is the box I had made cost me a packet, but I wanted see through toughned polycarbon plastic chemically bonded with sliding lid.

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2011, 19:57 »
that see thru box looks pretty cool i like i was thinking of a fibreglass one as i used to work at a factory and i could go knock some thing up cheap

i also saw this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230479368151?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 but not to sure on that looks a bit pants

also what size wire ect did u use and have u put a kill switch in one last thing how did u connect ur wires in the engine bay

cheers

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2011, 20:58 »
I bought from this place they will have everything you need!
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/cable/batterycable.php

All I did was buy 2.5m of red copper core bolted it on the positive terminal, feed it through rubber gromit on fire wall, dug up the carpet & trim, then feed it through the boot. The negative grouped terminals bolted it onto the gear box. Then fed about 10 inch long black cable from the negative battery terminal right down the chassis where I made sure the paint was off then bolted it to the whole body. Some people drill a hole in the boot down to the rear axal or underneth where it can be hidden. I didn't want to drill any holes so found a hole on the corner of the boot near the central locking pipes are visable. Best to buy some Eye lets so you can solider directly to the core cable you get better continuity with some silver solider.

You need an isolator for the positive feed cable depends if you want two cable method being the break after the firewall the second cable is simply connected to the battery.
My cables where thick but still felxible I would email those guys as to what available sizes they have and is suitable for you.

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2011, 18:44 »
cheers clipperjay good description there i will be doin this after my is back together and ready to be put back in

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2011, 18:49 »
where are you putting them? behind the passenger seat must be pretty close to where you want the weight moved to :huh:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2011, 19:10 »
I stuck my battery right against the boot lock centralised.
I tell you what the best weight I lost at the front was the sodding OEM girling brakes they are so bloody heavy after sticking Porshe items in the response in steering was fantastic!
Just comenting upon the weight distribution issues!