Author Topic: Remaps - a cause of concern when you break down?  (Read 4317 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Remaps - a cause of concern when you break down?
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2011, 16:07 »
I would imagine the only issue would be if VW wanted more details on the actual car itself to dig a little deeper.

Yes, I'd have to agree with that. If your car displayed lots of signs of modifications that would sound warning bells to a technician and more importantly a warranty manager then you may run into issues if they dug deep into the car's brain to check for maps (which from my understanding isn't as involved as you may think as there are certain physical parameters that can be checked without fully examining the software, simple things like requested boost and injection/fueling/ignition).

I've had about ten remaps from various companies and have friends that have had maps from different ones again. There are only two mobile tuners that buy in their maps from overseas that I've encountered any problems with and they aren't active forum people on here.

I've never had any isses with taking a mapped VW/SEAT/Skoda in for servicing and have never had any warranty issues with an engine that even needed looking at. Touch Wood!!!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2011, 17:43 »
The easiest way to spot a remapped car is to drive one! Once my map was on I could tell the car was more eager from simply driving forward 3m and then in reverse for 3m to turn it around. It wanted to be driven much faster  :evil:

HOwever with the revo std map back on there you wouldnt be able to tell at all. As for the flash counter, VW reflashed my car when it went in as it was due and update (for some reason or another). I would imagine the flash counter simply counts how times it has been flashed, which could be a few due to VW updates etc.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2011, 20:57 »
The easiest way to spot a remapped car is to drive one!

:wink:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #13 on: 27 October 2011, 20:59 »

Unless its my current boss  :lipsrsealed: :laugh: :laugh:

I'll upset him next week  :evil:

Back on topic - cars break down in standard form, a remap simply takes the car to level they should leave the factory  :smiley:  If you're worried about losing your warranty then there is a simple solution; don't remap!!

Offline RTechUK

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • R-TECH OFFICE 01455 617233
« Reply #14 on: 27 October 2011, 21:05 »

Unless its my current boss  :lipsrsealed: :laugh: :laugh:

I'll upset him next week  :evil:

Back on topic - cars break down in standard form, a remap simply takes the car to level they should leave the factory  :smiley:  If you're worried about losing your warranty then there is a simple solution; don't remap!!

Back on topic - cars break down in standard form, a remap simply takes the car to level they should leave the factory    If you're worried about losing your warranty then there is a simple solution; don't remap!!

That quote sums it all up. :grin:

If your worried then ask you dealer even before you get a remap, if they give you the green light then all is good, if you red the red light then wait until you warranty period is over.

R-Tech Customer Feedback / Reviews
http://r-techpower.co.uk/r-tech-feedback.php
VW AUDI SEAT SKODA 1.8T-1.9TDi -2.0TFSI  Tuners

01455 617233
http://sticky-vnt.co.uk Midlands