Author Topic: SoundillusioN - the re-united mk1!  (Read 87861 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: SoundillusioN - the re-united mk1!
« Reply #130 on: 12 August 2012, 02:35 »
Just been out in it again, bizarrely it appears the sound is coming from the rear. Less concerned now as I know it won't be CV or gearbox related.. Jack out again.  :rolleyes:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #131 on: 12 August 2012, 02:36 »
I had to turn the engine off while slowly coasting, open the passenger door and lean over.  That's how I discovered it was at the rear.  Just jacked it up, spun the wheel and traced it.

The handbrake cable had popped out of one of the securing points on the rear beam and was catching the rim of the wheel.  Just dealing with it now.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #132 on: 12 August 2012, 02:36 »
Here's the little beggar that was causing my mild panic which turned out to be nothing much at all.

You can see where it should have been clipped in against the beam, all sorted now though and only a light scuff on the plastic sheath.

Here's the damage I did to the BBS front Valance the other day with the ramps... Not impressed.  :angry: Bent where the fogs should be (will straighten out again if I remove and refit), Scuffed both corners so needs repainting.  :sad:

Ah well, need to take it off to get the fogs in.

As I had it's ass in the air today I decided I would raise the rear suspension, brought it up 20mm.  Handles much more how I prefer now.  :cool:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #133 on: 17 August 2012, 12:59 »
Last week I spent some time cracking on with some bodywork matters. Ideally I would like this car to be the same colour all over in time for action, bit of a task to be honest, especially with the weather often not being on my side.

When I first put this back on the road last year, a lot of bodywork took place.  Sadly a replacement wing I tarted up for the NS turned out to be from a cabby, this didn't fit so well as these are slightly different to tin tops and the poor fit was exaggerated when the body kit was put back on. I fitted it anyway and made do.

Earlier this the year I sourced 2, never fitted OEM tin top wings  :cool: and began working on the NS one to replace the one mentioned above.

Flat

Optimus

Base

Got one of these for the cans, last time I did without, never again.

Cracked on with bonnet number........... actually I've lost count.  :grin:

Degrease

Rust removal

Key

Ding Filling

Smooth

This happened quite a lot, little bastids!  :angry:

Painted and plonked on car for colour match test before wet sanding

Not impressed with this paint to be honest, it's a lot cheaper than what I was using before, I need to use more of it and it's more Matte than Satin.  :sad:

Wet sanding

Sooo much more to do.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #134 on: 17 August 2012, 12:59 »
Also trying to get the engine tip top

(Copied from post addressed to danny_p)

When I bought this car 8 years ago from the previous owner of 17 years I questioned it's rattly head (typical worn DX solid lifter sound that I often compare to the clattery sound of the old ford OHV engine).  The owner said that it had been like it for as long as he could remember, as far as he was aware it was down to the high lift cam and was normal.  I took this with a pinch of salt and planned to check the clearances.  I never got round to it as it got smashed up soon after purchase.  :cry:  I must add that it had always been meticulously serviced from day one. 

My previous (standard DX engined) MK1 sounded similar so I am use to it but that had some serious mileage and therefore I put it's clattering down to wear and tear.

I have owned and heard quiet DX heads on MK1's that are setup properly so I naturally assume I can address this one.

Anyway, I'm getting round to giving this motor a decent once over and last night started with the head by checking the clearances.  The Richard Lloyd cold clearances differ from standard and documented in imperial.  :rolleyes:

INLET        EXHAUST
0.008"       0.016"

Believe it or not, with a 132k on the clock the exhaust clearances are bang on.  :shocked:

For the inlets I have 1 measuring at the documented 0.008" two at 0.009" and 1 at 0.010".  This to me looks pretty good, right?  The worst clearance is only 2 thou out.  For the type of head I have, am I right to assume that this is still well within tolerance or, is the tolerance far less on a high lift cam and less forgiving?

If this does all sound fine then why is the head so noisy?  I was thinking worn guides maybe, but I would expect to be burning oil which this engine has never done.  Is it also worth noting that this car does not have standard valves either, they are a couple of mm larger diameter over standard.

I just hate the fact that it sounds like a tired and battered wreck when it doesn't drive like it.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #135 on: 20 August 2012, 23:34 »
Want to go to VW Action with the car looking half decent.. Plan was, whack some matte or satin on it so at least its the same colour all over.

Changed paint which complicated things and now I've gone OTT with wet sanding, ended up working up to 2500 grit paper on the bonnet, mostly by hand followed by a lot of rubbing compound. Looks like the whole car is going to have to end up the same!

Another just to show that the lines in the bonnet are reflections from phone lines. Sadly the bonnet isn't as straight as I thought it was and I have missed some little dings... Past caring at the moment. Note that the bonnet isn't actually fitted.

Now don't for one minute think that it's going to be showroom, there's no clear coat, oh and I'm doing it.  :grin:

However, it's a lot shinier than I planned!

Got a long way to go though.........

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #136 on: 04 September 2012, 11:14 »
I have just read that Brian Ricketts passed away a couple of months ago in hospital.  :cry:  He was the engineering genius behind Richard Lloyds cars and continued his work long after Richard moved on to other projects, this included keeping GTI Engineering going under the name of BR Motorsport.

In March 2008 Richard Lloyd was killed in a private plane crash, he was on route to the Nogaro Circuit in France with David Leslie to prepare Apex Motorsport's Jaguar for the upcoming FIA GT3 season.  Shortly after, I was on the case with this car as it made me more determined to keep it alive.

I have recently got hold of some more info on my engine and will post shortly... Sadly it doesn't help me a great deal if one day the need to fully rebuild it to spec comes around.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #137 on: 04 September 2012, 11:14 »

It's getting there, the bonnet won't match for now but I'm not ar5ed at the moment...

Couldn't get it started this evening, found out it was because I'd been a dumbass and left a security feature on.  :laugh:

Not bothering to take the bottom end to bits yet as I'm waiting for parts and VW action is only a couple of days away.

Went for a rag in it tonight, went really well. In fact I'm going back out now.  :evil:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #138 on: 04 September 2012, 11:15 »
So we made it to VW Action again but this time in the correct vehicles.   No drama's on the way there or back however the Golf didn't like driving at the van's top speed.  :rolleyes:

Bumped into a couple of familiar cars/faces. Saw Lewy with JV and his Rallye on Saturday followed by M.I.K.E and his VR6 mk2 who pitched up near us.

Had a thoroughly good weekend although that Jenson D Groover chap needs to stop feeling himself up on stage!

I'm pretty happy how mine's ended up looking so far.

Will post my other action pics up in a bit in the Shows and Events section.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #139 on: 04 September 2012, 11:15 »