Author Topic: painting M3 trim  (Read 1907 times)

Offline -(GIT)-

• Not said much yet
painting M3 trim
« on: 20 September 2004, 17:54 »
Wanted to ask what the best way to attack painting the exterior trim of a M3 GTI? Probably it would be best to remove all parts and do them off the job, but has anyone any experience in removing this trim including the wheel arches and door trim?
Also does anyone know of a good spray filler to cover the stippled trim so it can be sanded to a flat finish.
Cheers for any help with this,
Why clean it... when you can photoshop it!

Offline robson78

• Not said much yet
Re: painting M3 trim
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2004, 22:35 »
Hi there Matey ,like me your probably peeved with keeping the trim black ,don`t stay black for long do it..
I wanna do the same get rid of the arches ,replace with i think(? CL trim)as i know the front arch is connected with the trim leading to the door edge .What about back arch does the Gti side trim remain or do you replace with CL bits ?(i.e no GTI )Also roof spoiler.
Can anyone tell us whats undeneath the arch i.e what do you fill rivet holes with etc and basic guide.
Have seen some links to this question before but no definitive guide ?
Plastic primer to cover the stipple effect.But dont quote me.

nogama3

Re: painting M3 trim
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2004, 09:44 »
taking the arches off will only be made by drilling the rivets out and when its time to put them back on you can use larger rivets or silicon sealant to glue them back on. to get the smooth effect you can spray the arches/trim with spray filler and after each coat smooth the paint down, after several coats you should have a smooth coat on the items or you can smooth the trims down first before spraying (this method is quicker and easier). if you want your trims to stay back them paint them black with plenty of lacquer for shine.
hth