Author Topic: Gti and R testdrive  (Read 29019 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Gti and R testdrive
« Reply #90 on: 03 January 2019, 17:54 »
I don't think the standard system is that bad and the nav pro is much better than the standard system
Apart from the screen size, what else do you actually get for your £1,325, apart from gesture control (that doesn't work)? :huh:

We’ll have to agree to disagree about the standard Golf stereo. IMO it is very poor for a £30k+ car; no bass, no vocal clarity, no mid punch, all because it is of very low power, it's the same stereo that's across the entire Golf range. The Dynaudio is still only 400watts so that shows how bad the standard stereo is if that’s classed as an 'upgrade'. If you like music, I think the Dynaudio really is a no-brainier, it’s night and day difference. It’s the same across all VAG products, I didn’t tick the B&O option on an RS4, thinking the standard system on a £60k car would be good enough, but I lived to regret that. Dynaudio was pretty much the very first option I ticked on the Golf.

« Last Edit: 03 January 2019, 18:01 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #91 on: 03 January 2019, 19:29 »
I agree it's an expensive option but on the GTi and R I think the nav pro should be standard. I have actually got dynaudio in mine but only because it came in the tech pack when I ordered my car. It is good but £550 better is debatable.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #92 on: 03 January 2019, 19:31 »
I don't think the standard system is that bad and the nav pro is much better than the standard system
Apart from the screen size, what else do you actually get for your £1,325, apart from gesture control (that doesn't work)? :huh:

We’ll have to agree to disagree about the standard Golf stereo. IMO it is very poor for a £30k+ car; no bass, no vocal clarity, no mid punch, all because it is of very low power, it's the same stereo that's across the entire Golf range. The Dynaudio is still only 400watts so that shows how bad the standard stereo is if that’s classed as an 'upgrade'. If you like music, I think the Dynaudio really is a no-brainier, it’s night and day difference. It’s the same across all VAG products, I didn’t tick the B&O option on an RS4, thinking the standard system on a £60k car would be good enough, but I lived to regret that. Dynaudio was pretty much the very first option I ticked on the Golf.

Agree^. Dynaudio the only option I added, other than paint. Much better than standard for little money. Not many options give that kind of value
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #93 on: 04 January 2019, 09:13 »
Just my opinion, but I don't see the point of satnav in modern cars - I actively sought out a Gti without it when I was buying mine. In my experience in-car sat navs never work well (happy to be proven wrong) are a pain to update and after a very short period of time it looks clunky and outdated. I much prefer to use waze and my phone.

Greig
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #94 on: 04 January 2019, 09:34 »
Well, in answer to the question above about the differences between the Pro Nav and Standard Nav in the MK 7.5, here are the main differences (I'm sure I've missed a few):

1. Pro Nav Screen size 9.2", Standard Nav 8"
2. Pro Nav has gesture control (from what I've heard of very limited desirability)
3. Pro-Nav has voice control built in where as it's an option for the standard Nav
4. Faster and beefier processor in the Pro Nav that allows the maps to be displayed on the AID as well as the Nav screen as the same time (standard Nav it's one at a time)
5. Pro -Nav has a DVD drive whereas the standard unit has only a CD drive.
6. Pro Nav has a a built in HDD to store the maps (for faster access) and to store about 10 gb or music / Video files which also frees up the 2nd SD card slot for music (as the Nav SD card has to be in one of the slots permanently on the standard Nav)
7. Pro Nav has a built in video decoder which allows playing of video files stored on the HDD / SD card etc.
8. Pro Nav can display 3D buildings etc in major cities which the standard Nav can't.

One benefit of the standard Nav over the Pro is actual rotary buttons for volume, scanning though media etc and 8 dedicated "mode" buttons down each side for quick access to Radio, Phone, Nav etc without going into the menus.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #95 on: 04 January 2019, 09:41 »
Just my opinion, but I don't see the point of satnav in modern cars - I actively sought out a Gti without it when I was buying mine. In my experience in-car sat navs never work well (happy to be proven wrong) are a pain to update and after a very short period of time it looks clunky and outdated. I much prefer to use waze and my phone.

Theze daze its all about waze on android auto or apple car play.

Your phone selotaped to the dashboard, so last year :-)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #96 on: 04 January 2019, 09:54 »
I'd much rather use the built in nav. Never had an issue with it, it's easy to update and it's also got speed cams on it too. I tried Waze but just couldn't get away with it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #97 on: 04 January 2019, 10:01 »
1. Pro Nav Screen size 9.2", Standard Nav 8"
2. Pro Nav has gesture control (from what I've heard of very limited desirability)
3. Pro-Nav has voice control built in where as it's an option for the standard Nav
4. Faster and beefier processor in the Pro Nav that allows the maps to be displayed on the AID as well as the Nav screen as the same time (standard Nav it's one at a time)
5. Pro -Nav has a DVD drive whereas the standard unit has only a CD drive.
6. Pro Nav has a a built in HDD to store the maps (for faster access) and to store about 10 gb or music / Video files which also frees up the 2nd SD card slot for music (as the Nav SD card has to be in one of the slots permanently on the standard Nav)
7. Pro Nav has a built in video decoder which allows playing of video files stored on the HDD / SD card etc.
8. Pro Nav can display 3D buildings etc in major cities which the standard Nav can't.
SD cards, HDD, DVD, built-in Nav...

So as far as I can see, apart from the 1.2" bigger screen it has nothing for somebody who lives in 2019 (with a smartphone, fast mobile data, OD video/music streaming services, ACP/AA) and not 2010?  :huh: :grin:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #98 on: 04 January 2019, 10:17 »
Sooner or later someone will be so bold as to just have a AA/ACP module and not try to charge you for a SatNav...

Probably much like the deletion of the cassette player, it will come about ten years after the rest of technology made a similar change... such is the automotive industry.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #99 on: 04 January 2019, 16:02 »
Here's a question from one that is so far behind phone technology, but does using Nav from your phone use up data? I have a tiny amount of data on my contract as to me, a phone is for talking to people and maybe a tiny amount of internet browsing when there is time to kill.

If that's the case, then built in Nav is a must.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.