Author Topic: hot country-humid  (Read 1823 times)

Offline ramjet

• GTI forum regular
hot country-humid
« on: 05 May 2005, 01:59 »
Hey Golf buddies,

I am in Malaysia.I have a UK 1990 Golf GTI MK2 8v,standard except for an autotech cam 276.I ran the car everyday clocking 5000-7000km's a month.Total mileage is now closing to 440000km.

I have bought my self another car to not over use the GTI.I test drove a MK5 DSG.Manual not here yet.Liked the car very much.Beautiful seats and all.Sharp handling.I'd like to get one.Manual.The DSG I heard is an Aisin unit,from Lexus Japan.

Only question is how reliable is the car especially in hot and humid weather.I know also that some parts are Japanese.Japanese cars have been really reliable so far,heard and read a lot of crap about the MK4 GTI.There are 2 new 2002 GTI from South Africa siting in an importers showroom.Placed a deposit but ended up not taking due to the problems I read about.

Any views here as the MK2 GTI was an absolute performer and didn't fail me yet,also that the only recently changed the radiator to a used unit.The exhaust is still the original and everthing else as well.Also that the wiring insulation in the MK5 is very crappy and not like the ones in older cars with proper conduits and covers.

Only hope that the MK5 is a good reliable car for such a price.Here it will costs 28000 GBP.Not to say the MK4 is a bad car,but associated with many faults,even those in the US.

Thank you.