Author Topic: So the search begins  (Read 1096 times)

Offline xxgomxx

• Not said much yet
So the search begins
« on: 05 May 2004, 16:00 »
Looking for a minter than mint mk2......must be

oak green preferable
3dr sensible mileage
history

and thats it

have ?????'s to spend on right car so please help

Offline tobz.

• I live here
Re:So the search begins
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2004, 17:09 »
Good luck mate I've been seriously looking now for 6months since I wrote off my last oak green golf.
Travelled from cambridge to ediburgh a few weeks back to look at a top dollar (?3750) h plate only to find it was a bodged up piece of cr@p.
I'm holding out hope that the illusive "right" car will be for sale at gti international this weekend or I can find the right car and convince the owner to sell it.

Toby

You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline Dragon6

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2004, 19:32 »
Tobzman what sort of condition was the car in you went to see for ?3750 here a few stories of peeps going to look at minters that turn out to be cr@p,what was wrong with the car in relation to how it was advertised ,just wondering because I may be selling my  oak green 16v if I can find a nice  VR6 and not  sure how much to ask for it as the market varies all over the place..

Offline xxgomxx

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2004, 20:36 »
OWNERS
SERVICE HISTORY?

PHIL

Offline tobz.

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2004, 10:47 »
Hi Oakie
It was advertised outstanding condition with an unmarked interior and it only had 76k on the clock. I believed the mileage as the drivers bolster and everything was still in very good order. It also had some lovely 16" bbs alloys on it, however they obviously had the wrong offset so some muppet had rolled the arches with a set of mull grips to stop them rubbing. The arch slats were hanging off as a result and looking undeneath the arches were all rusty and creased. I noticed the drivers door didn't fit correctly at the top and later found some paperwork mentioning reasonable OSR accident repair. There were badly touched up rust spots on both doors and the rubbing strip was cracked on the passengers door. The rear big bumper had a section hacked out of it to make way for the after market exhaust. I think the owner genuinely thought he had a better car than he had got. He lowered the price to 3K immediately but I wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole. After looking at a few now I would expect the following prices (all based on oak green motors 1990-92)
2K - average miles, some minor body defects (car park dents, small scratches etc).
2.5K - average miles, excellent bodywork (maybe the odd tiny scuff).
3K - low mileage, excellent bodywork (maybe odd small scuff).
3.5K+ - low mileage, FSH, exceptional bodywork, not many owners, all standard fittings present.

Hope this is helpful.
I remember talking to you about your oak green golf a while back obviously I'm still looking remind me of the details???

Cheers
Toby

You got any pics of your dad's split ?