Author Topic: cambelt tensioner failed on my mk4 gti  (Read 4315 times)

golfvr6

Re:cambelt tensioner failed on my mk4 gti
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2004, 23:50 »
Sorry to hear that mate, very rare for the tensioner to fail after 80k.
I think the chances of no bent valves is very very slim as the 20v head is well packed.
Are you sure the garage you bought the car from didn't change the tensioner as well as the belt? just a thought as they might have put a sh!t tensioner on.

kniterider

« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2004, 23:55 »
dunno matey, the phone is gonna get some serious hammer on tuesday!!! could do with some one like your self close by in the next week or so if things dont go to plan!! lol (think i can do it all meself but its been a few years since ive been rippin heads off etc!!) never mind!! lol

Gaz 8)

golfvr6

« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2004, 00:07 »
Just a thought!
Have a look at the tensioner, if it isn't stamped VW then might be non genuine part garage fitted.
If that is the case then you might be able to get something out of them...

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2004, 00:58 »
hope you can sort it gaz :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

kniterider

« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2004, 21:11 »
right im not gonna get far with the warrenty after readin the small print!!!!, so i towed it homke from vw and have started takin it to bits, (pics posted below) a piece of cake to work on, not a scarey as i thought it would be!! just gotta find out the clearance when valves in normal position (not open) then i can tell if not bent and seated properly, if so gonna be a easy job, new belt and tensioner and setup bobs your uncle!!, quite enjoyed takin it to bits to be honest, even takin head off if i have to will be easy, hardest job will be removin engine mount to access lower cambelt area etc, and removin/fittin new tensioner, ive turned the cam pulley over by hand and all the tappets are in postion and moving fully down when under the cam lobes and then returning fully to there normal postion (none not coming all the up which would indicate bent valves) been chattin to a helpfull geezer on uk mk4's and all i need to find out is the clearance when the lobe is not pushing the tappet and if all checks out i dont think ill have to remove the head) so any way i took some pics, have a nosey!!! cant do any more till wed as im workin!!

gaz 8)

golfvr6

« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2004, 22:03 »
Nice one Gaz, hopefully you have got lucky.
There is a chance that as the tensioner broke up instead of the belt actually breaking, no damage might have been done.
If that is the case then result!
 :D

golfvr6

« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2004, 22:29 »
Gaz,

Thinking about it, my advice would be to take the head off anyway, and inspect for any damage.
That way you can also check the valve guides aren't damaged, save yourself trouble in the future.
If you already have it stripped down as far as you have then its not that much more hassle to take the head off.
Good luck mate  :-*

Offline richy

• I live here
  • neeeeeeeowm
« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2004, 23:02 »
Sounds like you got lucky Gaz.  Nice one  :)
54-plate Golf 2.0 FSI GT.  Leather interior.

kniterider

« Reply #18 on: 03 May 2004, 03:04 »
yeah belt complete/not snapped, no shredded teethe etc, on the cambelt cover you can see where the bearing has failed as its been rubbing on the plastic, then she just let go!!, will let you know how i get on!!

Gaz, off to work in a minute!! (bummer)

kniterider

« Reply #19 on: 03 May 2004, 19:42 »
right finished work early today and came home to strip the golf some more (no pics yet but will take some tomorrow), had to remove the engine mount to acces the cambelt properly, most difficult thing today was removing the alternator belt tensioner as its spring loaded and gonna be a mare to fit!!, evry thing off ready to try new belt and tensioner tomorrow, could turn the crank easily by hand and theres no restictions or noise, and double checked all tappets moving up and down fully and they seem ok also, so just gotta line up the pullies into right positions and stick it on and put the spring loaded tensioner on, then refit engine mount, and put enough stuff back on to see if shell run, fingers crossed peeps!! if she dont work then its head off, get some valves and take it to work and sort it all out but im hopin this is the 'not really gonna happen' senario!!

Gaz 8)