Author Topic: cambelt tensioner failed on my mk4 gti  (Read 4310 times)

kniterider

cambelt tensioner failed on my mk4 gti
« on: 01 May 2004, 18:50 »
bummer, car broke down today, just died, pulled over had a look then noticed cambelt cover half off at top, had a look inside and the belt was complete, i touched the tensioner pulley and it fell to bits!!!!, bummer, mr aa man towed me to local vw garage where it will be stood outside all weekend till tuesday when they have a look!!!, bummer! >:(, not happy at all, warrenty runs out on 15th may so hopefully,it will be covered other wise ill not be going to any vw shows etc as it will be costly!!!, all mk4 owners ensure you have a new tensioner fitted when you have your cambelt done!!! my belt was done may 13th last year, but i think as the garage i got it from (non vw didnt replace tensioner, as to vw guidelines) so maybe havin to go and tell em off for not doin it properly!!!!

Gaz >:(

good job ive still got 2 golfs and a scooter to knock about on!!!

Offline richy

• I live here
  • neeeeeeeowm
Re:cambelt tensioner failed on my mk4 gti
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2004, 18:57 »
Unlucky mate.   :'(
54-plate Golf 2.0 FSI GT.  Leather interior.

kniterider

« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2004, 20:06 »
yeah mega unlucky i'd say!!,just had some one look at scooter and is buyin tomorrow,so thats that gone, bit of luck, just hopin warrenty is gonna pay out, im sure they  will as the item whats failed is the tensioner, wondering how much damage has been done though, i was doin 60mph in 5th when it went, i coasted to a hault, so im hopin no bent valves etc?????

fingers crossed

Gaz :(

Offline richy

• I live here
  • neeeeeeeowm
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2004, 22:41 »
At least you've got a couple of other beauties to bomb about in in the meantime.  :)

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2004, 22:42 »
fingers crossed

mine too mate.. good luck :)
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

kniterider

« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2004, 23:05 »
just been readin me warrenty booklet, ......... not lookin good, for a start i forgot to tell em in jan/fed time i changed to a private numberplate,(wether or not htis is any relevant) then readin all the bullsh1t small print, they want you to follow there guidelines for servicing (with in manufacotr guidelines) which on a mk4 is 10,000 between services, i bought the car at 69,547 miles, and at 79 227 i serviced the car myself (all filters,oils,and plugs etc), cambelt was done when i bought (but not tensioner i think thats why its failed!), but what i am reading is that you have to have serviced at a reputable garage for warrenty to remain valid, and my mileage is now 80,906 and they give you a 1000 mile allowance over this amount since last service (which would have been 80,547, includint the 10,000 recommended vw service time and there 1000 allowance) so i reckon im fooked, unless i can sweet talk the vw garage that its at to saying i was booked in for a service this week or sumthing (official) im fooked i reckon as non vw warrenties will try and worm out of it so me being nearly 400 miles over and not telling them about number plate change i think im gonna be mega doodly in the shate!!!

Gaz >:(

kniterider

« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2004, 23:10 »
will see if i can work a deal out with vw to say that it was booked in for a service this week ect but if not ive priced some new parts up at euro parts and they are as follows:

timing belt ?14.75
tensioner pulley ?32.50
head gasket set ?84.50 (hope that includes new blots!!)
valves inlet x12 ?114 (?9.50 each)
valves exhaust x8 ?94 (11.80 each)

total ?339.75 (provided head bolts included if not there gonna be extra!!)

bummer looks like the scooter sale and mk2 8v sales profits are gonna go on a d.i.y engine build, unless i can work a deal out with vw!!

god im cheesed off, had 8 cans of stella and dont even feel slightly drunk im that mad!!!! still got some left!! not gonna be able to sleep tonight >:(

Gaz :'(

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2004, 23:17 »
Ouch, for you.
Steve.

Offline richy

• I live here
  • neeeeeeeowm
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2004, 23:17 »
Right.  Gonna change my cambelt + Tensioner every 50 miles now.  ;)

Hope it all works out for you Gaz.  :)

kniterider

« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2004, 23:28 »
dunno what to do!!!! gonna have to take tuesday off work and get to vw before they start ringin warrenty peeps and try and work a deal, if not ill tow it home as i dont want to be charged for them 'lookin at it' ive got all the right tools i think to do the job and have changed bent valves etc on heads before, so i think (lookin at the worst case senario) is that if warrenty dont cough up, then i tow it home and take off the rocker cover and manually turn over the cams to see if valves move freely (if not they are bent!) and check any followers etc arent bent/broke/cracked, if all ok, line up the cams and the crank and bang on a new belt and tension up and give it ago, if it works its cost me about ?45 if not then another ?290 will have to be spent!! (as long as bolts included in price and the pistons arent cracked!!) All i can say is im glad im a trained mechanic (even thoug i never went into the trade as it dosnt pay too well) and can do it meself!! still looks like inters is off though!! >:(

Gaz 8)

startin to feel pissed now so it aint lookin as bad!!! till the morning >:(