Author Topic: Thoughts on the R  (Read 151395 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Thoughts on the R
« on: 08 October 2015, 23:41 »
I’ve had my R a full week now, and whilst it’s still early days, thought I post (quite) a few observations on the car. 

Starting with….

Drive:

Bloody brilliant!  Early days, but has exceeded my expectations already. 

Handling is taught, sharp, precise, and responsive.  The chassis is stiff and agile.  Planted and super grippy, it’s a much lighter and more engaging drive than I was anticipating.  It still delivers the fun with plenty of aplomb, but without any unwelcome drama, and with a markedly different personality to a GTI.  Begs to be driven hard, in and out of the bends. Good turn in and less understeer than I was expecting.  Must say the turning circle is noticeably bigger, requiring a change of habit in regular, familiar scenarios such as parking on my driveway, but already adjusting to it.

The  power is addictive and eagerly available when you call upon it.  Plenty of torque throughout the range for smooth, reliable and consistent acceleration.  In terms of accessing the power – I do like the top mounted throttle pedal which I was a little reticent about, after years of floor mounted throttle pedals.  Throttle response could be a little snappier, you do need to put some effort to get the response.

DSG – great as always, that seductive sound of it moving through the gear changes.  I was converted 7 years ago and no going back now.  This generation has none of the jerkiness in S of the previous version.  However as always in D goes up through the gears too quickly, and in S hangs onto the gears a touch too long.  Fine if you are solo, but get some funny looks from passengers wondering why the engine is snarling away, lol.!  Something in between would be perfect, but that's where Manual and the paddles come in.  Just wish the paddles had a bit more presence to them.  Am looking at extensions.

Driver Profiles - trying out the various ones, and switch between them depending on mood.  Only one I haven’t spent any time in is Eco.  I’m mainly using Individual with this setup:

DCC - Sport (occasionally Normal)
Steering - Sport
Drive – Normal or Sport
ACC - Normal
Interior engine sound - Eco
Aircon – Normal
Dynamic lighting – Sport

Soundaktor – always controversial and divisive, but with the now ability to alter the volume in Individual mode,  it’s absolutely acceptable at Eco setting, not intrusive and does not interfere or detract from the Dynaudio.  But, still great to have the option to have fake noise should the mood take me.  Real engine noise and exhaust note - sublime!  Can't get enough of that growl and pop.

Tech:

Keyless  - a breeze to use.  Was worried beforehand that it might be hit and miss, and I might end up leaving the car unlocked, but it's really very simple.  Love it.  And only a couple of times have I gone to put a key in the non existent ignition.  A convert to the Start and Stop Engine button.

ACC - yet to use this but plans to do so on a winter trip to Yorkshire.

DCC – as expected. 

E-brake/Autohold – took about an hour to be won over by this. 

Stop/Start - don't mind it at times, but adds a nanosecond too much time to pulling away for my liking, so gets switched off when I remember (town driving).

Front Assist - had only a couple of warnings but no braking intervention as yet.  Either I’m a better driver than I thought, or it doesn’t  work, lol.

Parking sensors and rear camera.  Handy at times, but could live without them, still like to use my own judgement.

There’s a lot of new-ish tech, compared to my previous car, and where it properly aids the driver, without becoming a hindrance, it is very, very good.

Interior:

I think the black piano gloss is very nice, but it is a mega dust magnet.  I have a microfibre always to hand to keep the dust at bay, and just as well.  Though I like the dark cabin, I think a few more blue trim accents would have made it a bit more special.  So to introduce a bit more colour I’m swapping the harsh white footwell lights for some blue LEDs.  The illuminated blue door and sill strips are a nice feature, though the sill guards themselves are not up to that job, is I’m ordering some additional guards.

Surprisingly I like the headrests.  Was a massive fan of the older style that wrapped over the top of the seat, so was rather disappointed to see they had changed them.  But in the flesh new style ones really suit the car.  Like the R logo on them.

The MiB2 unit -  is great, the larger screen really finishes off the cabin, screen resolution is good.  The touchscreen is miles better than older generations which were very temperamental and clunky.  Discover Pro Nav - used it on the recent Windsor trip.  Very impressed.  CarPlay works well.  Yet to try the Mirror link and Car-net App Connect.

Dynaudio – just excellent.  Head and shoulders above previous gen, even in its yet to be burned-in state, it’s very, very good.  Will be superb after about 60 hours.  Money well spent.

Steering wheel, thinner than my previous, but I like it a lot.  Except I find the button placement is not quite as intuitive as old style.  Ergonomics slightly off, and I miss the mute button of old which is absent this time round. The dials are lovely as are the blue needles.  Found the indicator/wiper stalks a bit flimsy at first but got used to them now.

Centre console is well designed apart from the Mode button / StopStart button / ESP button, which are poorly positioned on left and hard to see - would be much better on the right side the gear stick, but guess thats a result of it being a LHD design throwback. Cup holders - great and the 'claw' feature very useful for securely gripping cups. Rear cup holders much better located in the load through arm rest.

Window buttons - not as ergonomically perfect as in a Mk6 (angled) but small price to pay for the other improvements.

Prefer the faux carbon trim on gearstick, doors and around dash to previous trim, looks more premium compared to the my old trim which was a bit incongruous.  This is much more in-keeping style-wise with the rest of the car.

Love the leather seats and white stitching. But I can see it sagging quicker than the mk6 leather.  Preferred the lumbar 4 way rocker switch of old, as the basic handle control on the side of the seat seems crude and a step back, but cost cutting I guess.

Reduced boot space.  Significantly smaller, but just travel lighter.  Have crammed a a lot of my work gear around the wheel well.

On the whole I like the interior a lot, I would say it is an upgrade, plus it looks and feels distinctly different from the Mk6 which enhances the experience. 

Exterior:

Colour – you might be forgiven for thinking I might be bored with Deep Black Pearl after a fair few black Golfs, but no!  Very glad I chose it for the 7R as I think it looks stunning.  Yes you lose the contrast of the black accents, but gain a sleek, stealth look.  I like both the brushed silver wing mirrors and lip more than I thought I would, and they add just enough ‘interest’ without blinging or tarting it up to much.

Pretoria wheels (19”) – rumoured to have caused the long, long wait, but what can I say – worth it IMO.  A lovely wheel, like a lightweight motorsport wheel, adds an elegance to the car, which stops DBP, looking too heavy and clumpy.  Very easy to clean.

Tyres – ContiSportContact 5Ps – thank the Lord!  Have run these faultless tyres for last 3 years, and very, very pleased to get them on the R. 

Front end - the front end actually looks more aggressive in the flesh, and like the grill.  Bit sick of honeycomb grills after 3 GTIs, so a nice change.  Love the intakes and don't miss having fog lights.  love the double LED headlights.

Rear end  - absolutely love the smoked rear LEDs, especially against the black bodywork.  Quite surprised how little there is of the rear spoiler.  Assumed it would be of a similar size/depth to the mk6 but it's much shallower.  And, the black plastic side bits make it look even less prominent, but overall it suits the sharper shape of the car.  Love the gloss black rear diffuser.  Always hated the textured grey 6GTI one, but never got around to spraying it gloss black.

Exhausts - even though 4 exhausts are overkill for a 4cyl, I love them.  And I think this car needs something a bit showy at the rear to offset the subtlety of the front end.

Sides - The wing R badges - now I thought I was going to hate these, as was not keen on them in the pics, but, they seem to work on black.  Maybe because Deep Black doesn't have the contrast against the black grill and other black trim, the badges add something without it looking blingy.  Deeper side skirts are much better.

When I first saw the Mk7 exterior changes, I was not sold.  But now I've had it on my drive for just over a week, I'm definitely sold now!

Conclusion  - Awesome!!!  It’s a fantastic car.  A capable but utterly exhilarating drive, and still admirably practical on a daily basis. 

And here’s are the things I’m really glad I specced:

Dynaudio
DCC
Keyless
Discover Pro

Finally…..

Without a doubt the best car I've had to date (so far)!
« Last Edit: 08 October 2015, 23:47 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
Re: Thoughts on the R
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2015, 07:57 »
So......You like it then !!  :wink:
I am so glad I swapped my Mk7 GTI for my R even though I questioned my sanity having only had the GTI 11 months  :whistle:
Have to agree about the turning circle. It can be so embarrassing trying to manoeuvre it around car parks.
But that is my only gripe that I couldn't do anything about. The other two minor grumbles have been sorted and you are about to rectify this on yours as well with the footwell lights and door sill protectors.
Dynaudio. Agreed, it is superb. I have had it on my last four cars and it was the first tick in the box with this one too.
I quite like the soundaktor it doesn't bother me one way or another unlike some people who have gone to the trouble of disconnecting it  :undecided:
I had DCC on my Scirocco's but didn't spec it on the first Mk7 and didn't miss it as the MQB chassis is so good. The ride in my R is slightly firmer maybe due to the Pretoria's but not bad enough to warrant £800 ish to leave it in one setting (which is what happened in the Scirocco's)
Mine has done 5K now and is returning 30-31mpg average which I am more than happy with.
I leave it in Race mode most of the time now as my better half has bought a Fiat 500 as a 2nd car/Teenage daughter Taxi/Dog Chariot. (Dog wasn't going in my car  :rolleyes:)
Although I like to "Look" at Black cars. I have had one and now consider myself cured of this affliction!!
I admire your dedication and perseverance to the cause as they are sooooo hard to keep clean. Can't wait to see you photos after you have given your R a proper seeing too !!  Hint Hint  :whistle:

Great write up Rebecca now get on with the detail !!!

For me though it had to be Lapiz Blue  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 09 October 2015, 08:08 by JB GTI »
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2015, 09:46 »
Excellent write up and agree with pretty much everything. The ACC is excellent in the right the right situations, works exceptionally well with the DSG changing gears for you also.

I do love the Black R but I was personally won over by Lapis because it's unique to the R.

On that note I keep seeing this red R-Line around and keeps freaking me out because the of the single DRLs and weird wheels. Takes me a second to realise it's a fake!

With the start stop system in town, do you know a lighter press on the brake stops the car without activating the system and depress fully will engage start stop?
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2015, 10:03 »
Great write up Rebecca!  Glad you're loving your R, especially after such a long wait!  :cool:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2015, 11:13 »
So......You like it then !!  :wink:
I am so glad I swapped my Mk7 GTI for my R even though I questioned my sanity having only had the GTI 11 months  :whistle:
Have to agree about the turning circle. It can be so embarrassing trying to manoeuvre it around car parks.
But that is my only gripe that I couldn't do anything about. The other two minor grumbles have been sorted and you are about to rectify this on yours as well with the footwell lights and door sill protectors.
Dynaudio. Agreed, it is superb. I have had it on my last four cars and it was the first tick in the box with this one too.
I quite like the soundaktor it doesn't bother me one way or another unlike some people who have gone to the trouble of disconnecting it  :undecided:
I had DCC on my Scirocco's but didn't spec it on the first Mk7 and didn't miss it as the MQB chassis is so good. The ride in my R is slightly firmer maybe due to the Pretoria's but not bad enough to warrant £800 ish to leave it in one setting (which is what happened in the Scirocco's)
Mine has done 5K now and is returning 30-31mpg average which I am more than happy with.
I leave it in Race mode most of the time now as my better half has bought a Fiat 500 as a 2nd car/Teenage daughter Taxi/Dog Chariot. (Dog wasn't going in my car  :rolleyes:)
Although I like to "Look" at Black cars. I have had one and now consider myself cured of this affliction!!
I admire your dedication and perseverance to the cause as they are sooooo hard to keep clean. Can't wait to see you photos after you have given your R a proper seeing too !!  Hint Hint  :whistle:

Great write up Rebecca now get on with the detail !!!

For me though it had to be Lapiz Blue  :smiley:

Thanks JB, I do like it, just a bit, ha-ha!  :wink:

My other half hasn’t yet driven it.  I think he’s scared.  Not of the car but of my reaction should anything untoward happen to it.  He had been responsible for kerbing 2 of my wheels on the old car – it’s not just the Achilles (w)heel of the woman!   That said, the Prets with Contis are quite well inset into the tyre wall so much, much more protection that the Glendales which were pretty much flush with the tyre and attached themselves to the kerb like a magnet.

Agree, the turning circle is a bit embarrassing when parking.  I normally swing effortlessly into a parking spot at work but trying the same in the R results in the car being half way diagonally across the space.  Last week I completely got it wrong at Sainsburys and looked like a complete idiot.  :embarrassed:

I’m desperate to get detailing but it’s going to be towards the end of the month as lots going on socially and with weekend work commitments too.  Don’t you just hate it when life gets in the way of car stuff, lol.  :rolleyes:

Btw – your pic has reminded me just how great Lapiz looks.  I see one nearly everyday, it’s lovely, but doesn’t look as good as yours.  :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2015, 11:22 »
Excellent write up and agree with pretty much everything. The ACC is excellent in the right the right situations, works exceptionally well with the DSG changing gears for you also.

I do love the Black R but I was personally won over by Lapis because it's unique to the R.

On that note I keep seeing this red R-Line around and keeps freaking me out because the of the single DRLs and weird wheels. Takes me a second to realise it's a fake!

With the start stop system in town, do you know a lighter press on the brake stops the car without activating the system and depress fully will engage start stop?

Cheers. :smiley:  It's a great car.

I'm looking forward to trying out the ACC, but not round town. :wink:  A long schlep up the A1 beckons in Feb so that will be a good test.

I do know about the way of stopping the Stop/Start from kicking in - discovered that on day one.  As you describe if you just lightly tickle the brake pedal it stops it from activating.  But sometimes I forget.   Canterbury is a very congested city and I spend a lot of time sat is very slow moving or static traffic so sometimes it’s just easier to just turn it off completely.

Lapiz was my second choice, though if carbon grey had been an option.  :whistle:

Damn those R-Line cars.  Imposters!!
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2015, 11:46 »
Great write up Rebecca!  Glad you're loving your R, especially after such a long wait!  :cool:

Cheers.  What wait?  :laugh:

First 500 miles up now and what an enjoyable 500 it's been.  :cool:   
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2015, 11:49 »

Cheers.  What wait?  :laugh:

First 500 miles up now and what an enjoyable 500 it's been.  :cool:

Ha ha!

I've done 14k miles now, and I can honestly say I still love driving it - I'm sure  you will be the same, there's always fun to be had in an R  :evil:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2015, 12:41 »
Yeah... Another 'Nicely' written summary of the R, Rebecca.  I agree with everything you've said.  You've even taught me something.  The Soundaktor was really beginning to bug me and I was in two minds about unplugging it from the back, but now I've adjusted it to "Eco" mode (in the individual drivers mode) it's no longer too intrusive. Great little Tip!.

I would have loved to have been optioned the Conti Sport 5's but unfortunately I'm riding on the Brigestone S001's... But truth to be told after 500 miles I'm finding the Bridgestones fairly pleasant.  Previous experiences of Bridgestone (S01's, RE050's) were not great but these S001's are a revelation. Having said that I have  been driving fairly sedately upto now so time will tell.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2015, 12:51 by Gung-Ho »
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2015, 13:52 »
Yeah... Another 'Nicely' written summary of the R, Rebecca.  I agree with everything you've said.  You've even taught me something.  The Soundaktor was really beginning to bug me and I was in two minds about unplugging it from the back, but now I've adjusted it to "Eco" mode (in the individual drivers mode) it's no longer too intrusive. Great little Tip!.

I would have loved to have been optioned the Conti Sport 5's but unfortunately I'm riding on the Brigestone S001's... But truth to be told after 500 miles I'm finding the Bridgestones fairly pleasant.  Previous experiences of Bridgestone (S01's, RE050's) were not great but these S001's are a revelation. Having said that I have  been driving fairly sedately upto now so time will tell.

Well that's the first time the words 'Bridgestones' and 'pleasant' have ever been used together in the same sentence.  :grin:

Glad to pass on the Soundaktor tip.  It does make it liveable on a day to day basis, but (secretly) I also like a bit of the fakery it gives in Race. :evil:  Must be the bit of deeply hidden chav in me.  :laugh:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual