Author Topic: Head unit wiring...  (Read 1587 times)

Offline *Jonnyg*

• GTI forum regular
Head unit wiring...
« on: 11 September 2010, 21:03 »
Hey guys, My mate and I, removed the cd player, as the pre out ports have be wired in really funny, and the cd player didn't actually have any pre out puts, but anyway... I put my Alpine one in, but as we started to push the cd player in, it would pour out with smoke, and the 12v ignition would burn away, so we nicely rewired it, and tested the cd player again, with out inside the dash, but as soon as we put it back in the dash, the cable we just replaced burnt out..  But the cd player worked before we removed it, so not quite sure what to do now.. Thanks.

Car is a mk3 golf. :)
** Tuned diesels - kinda like a guy with a huge cock and premature ejaculation. **

Offline Tazzy

• I live here
Re: Head unit wiring...
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2010, 18:38 »
hmmm, wrong size fuse?
If It Comes Off, Modify It!

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re: Head unit wiring...
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2010, 19:29 »
It's nothing to do with a fuse - that will be a live wire shorting out; given that the player works outside of the cage and a problem only occurs when the unit is installed then it's not drawing too much power under normal operation and the fuse is fine.

It may be that the live wire is shorted internally (within the cd player itself) and the unit is finding an earth when installed into the cage or it will be a bare wire shorting on the cage when fitting it into the dash.

Check the quality of your connections and look carefully for any bare wires (I always tape over non-used rca's also, just to be sure)
If there's bare wire exposed, trim it off and insulate the end properly.

Take care when sliding the unit into the cage; it's all too easy to trap a stray wire - this can either pull it out of a loom creating a potential short, or strip insulation from it, creating the same issue.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel