Author Topic: '83 mk1 gti - funny rear light cluster -- anyone?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline tajbhambra

• Not said much yet
OK, the BRAKE lights dont work - I'll check out the brake switch as suggested - THANKS.
now, one side of the rear indicator flicks like mental (veerry faint), reverse light don't work, nor hazard. Ive change bulbs, checked the fuse, etc.. The other side of the rear cluster works fine...except for th BRAKES, but i've been told to check the brake switch - by the way, WHEREABOUTS IS THE BRAKE SWITCH?IS IT BY THE PEDAL, OR BY THE SERVO?

respect to you all fellas

« Last Edit: 23 May 2008, 23:24 by tajbhambra »

Komenda

Re: '83 mk1 gti - brake lights not working?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2008, 14:42 »

Could be wire corrosion or a dodgy brake pedal switch. Something VW can't get right on any Golf it seems.

Offline Village Idiots

• GTI forum regular
Re: '83 mk1 gti - funny rear light cluster -- anyone?
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2008, 09:22 »
Check earthing.

Offline monzablue16v

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2008, 12:05 »
As obove check the earths to the clusters :)

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline jdubgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2008, 15:16 »
Hi mate check the fuse box,under the dash on passenger side !!!

Common fault on the Mk1, the water build's up in the bulk head because leaves and stuff block the drain hole, then eventually it will hole through in the corner.
And it just drip's all over the fuse box until you get disco light's and an M.O.T fail.

Mine was doing this and i replaced it with a fuse box from an 87 Cabby, but i have been told that the fuse box on the Mk2 8v is the same, another idea is use the fuse box from a citigolf which is the South African Mk1 (still in production) Also the Caddy van was produced in MK1 form up to 1990 !!!

Anyway this sorted my fault out so check it and you could be looking at a £5 fix

Let me know mate

J.

Offline tajbhambra

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2008, 17:00 »
OK guys, there's one earth (brown) to the base of the boot, bit rotten and i've sanded it down etc.. the LH indicator can be heard ticking, but only flickers very faintly. the main beam, however, appears full strength. the reverse light doesn't work at all. the other rear light cluster works fine. they have what appears to be an earth cable that joins the two.
 :cry:

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2008, 17:54 »
you don't need reverse lights for an mot. i don't have them neither does alex, and prob many other people.

if im reversing with lotsa cars about i put hazards on while moving.