Author Topic: misfiring?  (Read 880 times)

Offline sprursboy88

• Not said much yet
misfiring?
« on: 19 September 2008, 17:37 »
had my car just over a year its a 20 v t and its started to misfire but its a wierd one it does it only every now and again. ive been told its gonna cost a grand to fix but i wanna know if anyone else has had this problem cos i dnt wanna get robbed. it comes and goes and it seems the way to get rid of it for a while is to let the car roll in gear and nearly stall then the engine seems to go back to normal. was on the motorway earlier and it happend just b4 i got onto the motorway so i cudnt get rid of it i was gettin 16 mpg at 70 miles a hour so its obviously drinking petrol any help wuld be greateful. cheers guys i know i havent really givin a good picture of what its like but its hard to describe. i wanna get the car up to shape and remap it its a good car and i love golfs even though i seem to get problem after problem

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: misfiring?
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2008, 17:41 »
who told you its going to be a grand to fitx it!??  :shocked: :huh:

need to get it on VAG COM and do some data logging / error checking to see whats happening

Offline GOLF_STU

• I live here
  • THE_GIT
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2008, 17:44 »
more than likely coil packs but get it on vag com  :smiley: coil packs aint that dear.

fear is temporary, regret lasts forever...
V TEC KICKED IN Y'ALL!!!

Offline sprursboy88

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2008, 17:55 »
yea my m8 said coil packs but when it went for the mot i told the bloke he changed them and no luck so he said it might be a valve nor closing properly or summin and its gonna cost around a grand becos the engine head needs to be takin off or summin :cry:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2008, 17:57 »
yea my m8 said coil packs but when it went for the mot i told the bloke he changed them and no luck so he said it might be a valve nor closing properly or summin and its gonna cost around a grand becos the engine head needs to be takin off or summin :cry:

personally i'd get a second opinion!!! stripping the head off is not a huge job!

i'd eliminate coil packs and also check for boost / vaccum leaks before stripping the head off!

Offline sprursboy88

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2008, 18:15 »
yea he said to take it in for a compression test? could this find the problem though?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2008, 18:20 »
yea he said to take it in for a compression test? could this find the problem though?

nah don't do compression - you need to check all your hoses etc for cracks / splits etc - you might find that some of the ends on the connectors are wearing leading to the hoses moving under pressure thus killing the power - i'm just pointing out the easiest cheapest fixes!! checking the hoses etc yourself will only cost you time and not money  :smiley:

with regards to your MPG - sounds like a sensor is up the duff - possibly Lambda - get it scanned with VAG COM asap as it should show up as a fault code

Offline GOLF_STU

• I live here
  • THE_GIT
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2008, 19:06 »

just out of interest is it a vw garage? unusual for them to have spare coil packs layin about. when were the plugs changed last? possibly a duff plug? a compression test will say if a cylinder is down on compression but untill the head comes of you wont know if its a stuck valve or worn piston ring etc

but worn split hoses do cause running problems.

fear is temporary, regret lasts forever...
V TEC KICKED IN Y'ALL!!!

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2008, 19:12 »
Yeah definatley check hoses. Several were found on mine that looked like they had been chewed!  :rolleyes:
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car