Author Topic: Before I say bye some things you need to know....  (Read 6735 times)

Offline asif

• I live here
Re: Before I say bye some things you need to know....
« Reply #20 on: 16 March 2011, 14:17 »
Lot's of support here, I feel i've got to be the thingy and ask the question.
If the tracking was that far out, how on earth did you not see or feel it?

It's a shame this has ruined your experience.

Fook knows mate, i'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to cars so unless I noticed the uneven tyre wear I wouldn't have known any different. To be honest I did wonder when I was on motorways but because of the diagnosis I was given and the fact that it was gonna cost so much I thought the tracking was the least of my worries so thought i'd hold onto the pennies and do that later. Little did I know this was the cause of the car giving me sh1te MPG.

If I let off the gas the car would slow down well quick but again i didn;t think this was an issue at the time.

Please do remember the car was also driven previously by mechanics on the forum and off the forum so I know I aint that sharp but I would've thought someone getting paid would've noticed this.

MK7 GT Bluemotion Tech TDi

Offline xxChrisxx

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 16 March 2011, 14:49 »
To be honest I did wonder when I was on motorways but because of the diagnosis I was given and the fact that it was gonna cost so much I thought the tracking was the least of my worries so thought i'd hold onto the pennies and do that later. Little did I know this was the cause of the car giving me sh1te MPG.

Please do remember the car was also driven previously by mechanics on the forum and off the forum so I know I aint that sharp but I would've thought someone getting paid would've noticed this.

Not much you could have done, it's difficult having to rely on other people to diagnose problems. As annoying as this expereince was, if you learn and take something from it, it's not a total loss.

Well, three things to take from this for the future.
1) Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
2) Try the cheapest/easiest fixes first.
3) With a problem, the solution will depend who you take it to (and they aren't always fully honest).

Offline asif

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 16 March 2011, 15:02 »
Yeah i've learnt my lesson me thinks, first is that i'm going back Jap which are easier to diagnose and i've never had a Jap car mis-diagnosed in almost 10 years, their also touch wood more reliable.
I also like the fact that you don't need Vagcom or a laptop to tell you something is wrong or to get a code that mean about a 100 different things :grin: Think i'm just bitter cuz my DUB didn;t go the way I wanted :grin:

Offline munks

• Not said much yet
  • Hey everybody come see how good i look!
« Reply #23 on: 16 March 2011, 17:48 »
Did you suffer from the death rattle on the Celica?
I was on the market for one of them recently until I read about that.
Apparently oil starvation to the engine is common on the early 140's.
New engine is in the region of 1k for that car which would make me feel like slitting my wrists :grin:

Got it in one mate!
£1200 for a rebuild that didnt work and then they changed the lump under warranty!
Oil starvation causes oval boars common fault on the 140's

Offline asif

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 17 March 2011, 08:24 »
Did you suffer from the death rattle on the Celica?
I was on the market for one of them recently until I read about that.
Apparently oil starvation to the engine is common on the early 140's.
New engine is in the region of 1k for that car which would make me feel like slitting my wrists :grin:

Got it in one mate!
£1200 for a rebuild that didnt work and then they changed the lump under warranty!
Oil starvation causes oval boars common fault on the 140's
Feel for you mate, that is a proper wounding.
So your car is up and running now? Make you feel any better about the car or has it gone too far for you?

Offline munks

• Not said much yet
  • Hey everybody come see how good i look!
« Reply #25 on: 17 March 2011, 16:36 »
Yeah its just sitting in my drive nothing wrong with it!
Have spent loads on it and no mods wat so ever!
Disks and pads all round last year cost me £250 plus 2 rear calipers at £40 each!
New clutch which was over £100 just on parts
New battery the other day £90!
did try and sell it last year but it didnt sell so gave up on it!
I may put it bk on the road for a bit if i sell the golf but could never enjoy driveing it!

Offline +49

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 17 March 2011, 17:19 »
sorry to hear of your bad experiance in the VW world.Generally not much headache car's.But to be honest I notice turbo car's no matter which type/brand need alot more care to keep running perfectly boosting/fueling/mpg etc etc N/A engines seem alot less headache

And your title sounds like a line from a love song  :grin:  :laugh:

Offline houston

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 17 March 2011, 18:12 »
Yeah its just sitting in my drive nothing wrong with it!
Have spent loads on it and no mods wat so ever!
Disks and pads all round last year cost me £250 plus 2 rear calipers at £40 each!
New clutch which was over £100 just on parts
New battery the other day £90!
did try and sell it last year but it didnt sell so gave up on it!
I may put it bk on the road for a bit if i sell the golf but could never enjoy driveing it!

look into dropping a 3sgte in there, thatll change your mind  :evil:

Offline asif

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 18 March 2011, 09:36 »
sorry to hear of your bad experiance in the VW world.Generally not much headache car's.But to be honest I notice turbo car's no matter which type/brand need alot more care to keep running perfectly boosting/fueling/mpg etc etc N/A engines seem alot less headache

And your title sounds like a line from a love song  :grin:  :laugh:
:grin: :grin: :grin:
You probably hit the nail on the head about the turbo comment, it makes things so complicated when a turbo is the centre of all your entertainment :grin:

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #29 on: 18 March 2011, 18:49 »

Have to disagree as ive never had any trouble with boost leaks/fueling/mpg  :smiley:

I know what you mean though there is always someone on here with these faults  :grin:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.