Author Topic: Abingdon Airfield Trackday  (Read 6003 times)

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
Abingdon Airfield Trackday
« on: 01 August 2008, 21:20 »
We took the Golf (Mark 3 GTI 16v) to Abingdon Airfield Trackday organised by Motorsport Events on 18th July.

Despite a bad weather forecast it stayed dry all day. The circuit was fairly fast with 3 tight chicanes and a couple of tricky corners. It was our first time at this course which made it interesting and the track was layed out anti clockwise which was a first.

The Golf went out nine times and performed faultlessly all day (again). We managed to improve our lap times by about 10 seconds over the day (timed by video afterwards not during the day which isn't allowed).

There was a nice MK2 Golf with a 2 litre bottom end and kr head, we went up against him on one session and we were pulling away from him on the straights but he was slightly faster than my wife through the corners, we were 2 up and he was on his own. He is on the ClubGTi list I believe.

Highlight of the day was when I mentioned to my wife that she could go round the slight bent before the chicane flat out without using the brakes, she thought I meant the chicane and went through the chicane sideways but controlled it very well, much better than I did from the passenger seat - priceless. Low point of the day was being overtaken by a Vauxhell Astra estate, not too bad when we found out he was turbo powered.

Got a day booked at Colerne next Saturday and a full day at Castle Combe at the end of the month. Few mods to do before next outing - remove carbon canister, fit lighter M3 mirrors, make a better cold air feed to the airbox and enlarge the hole in the airbox.

Paul

Offline Mew

• I live here
Re: Abingdon Airfield Trackday
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2008, 23:14 »
Might have to give one a go when the golf's back in action....

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2008, 23:35 »
Might have to give one a go when the golf's back in action....
Looks like you've had plenty of fun with your project, get it finished and give a trackday a go you'll not regret it.

Paul

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2008, 22:03 »
Depends what your definition of fun is!  :laugh:

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2008, 10:50 »
Quality, didn't know they did that at the old airfield. I used to work there and a mate of mine, his dad was stationed there when it was still RAF.
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2008, 13:48 »
i was based there 20 year ago --- eeee by 'eck when i were a lad  :grin:

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2008, 19:10 »
My mate witnessed the Phantom that crashed the day before the airshow and another time the Tornado taken down by a flock of birds in the intake! We walked around and he showed me the old swimming pool and he showed me all the spots in the changing rooms where he got it on with the girls lol. From what I've heard it was a nice base when it was RAF. I've worked at Benson which is nice and at Northolt now, which isn't so nice, but it's closer to home so suits me.
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline stuey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2008, 21:15 »
Anyone going on the 26th September, MSE track day???

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2008, 21:34 »
My mate witnessed the Phantom that crashed the day before the airshow and another time the Tornado taken down by a flock of birds in the intake! We walked around and he showed me the old swimming pool and he showed me all the spots in the changing rooms where he got it on with the girls lol. From what I've heard it was a nice base when it was RAF. I've worked at Benson which is nice and at Northolt now, which isn't so nice, but it's closer to home so suits me.

off topic but

was there for the phantom

picked up the tornado,

remember the swiming pool well

and currently at benson  :grin:

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2008, 22:08 »
Anyone going on the 26th September, MSE track day???
Cant make that one but probably going on the 17th October if the car passes the mot tomorrow.

Paul