Author Topic: Transferring private registration  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Transferring private registration
« on: 27 February 2018, 08:52 »
Hi guys, seeking some advice please. I have a private registration on my car. When the time comes to change vehicles, how do I swap the registration over.

Ive been reading online, and there are instructions for A) Having two vehicles which are already registered with a number and fully taxed / MOT'd, and thus swapping the numbers over (this costs £80) or B) Putting the private registration on retention for a period of time and thus transferring a DVLA assigned new number to the existing car (this costs from £110 upwards) - then at a later stage moving the retained number onto a new car. 

However what I can't find is the process to transfer a private plate straight across to a brand new unregistered vehicle, through a dealership. I guess I am responsible for applying to the DVLA but I can't see the system involved.

Anyone any ideas. Some years ago, I just left this up to the dealer (as part of the car buying process), but I understand the systems and processes have changed ?   
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 08:54 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

physio

Re: Transferring private registration
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2018, 10:08 »
You can do it at the dealers when you change your car  I did it last time I swapped my car and will be doing it again this sat when I pick up my new gti pp

https://www.gov.uk/keep-registration-number

Use this link  it tells you how to transfer the plate instantly and pay your £80 on line , it also generates a new number for the dealer to put on your old car ,
My dealer did it all on his i pad  then just let me put my card details it , takes bout 5 mins maximum
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 10:13 by physio »