Author Topic: Winter prep/DA questions  (Read 6516 times)

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
Winter prep/DA questions
« on: 22 August 2016, 11:40 »
I've re-read Rebecca's first detail of her R and detailing guide threads just to remind me, but still have a few questions. :huh:  I'm starting to think about winter prep and aiming to do it sometime in September. After watching a vid on youtube recently where a Ferrari FF was being detailed by pros, I now understand what swirl marks look like and my Golf has them in plentiful supply, especially on the bonnet.

So I'm going to invest in a DA... understand the current favourite is the DAS 6 Pro+. The question is which kit to get with it?

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-plus-dual-action-polisher/cat_150.htm

Heard good things about the chemical guys kit as I remember others on here buying, but also seem to remember Bec saying she was trying/using the meguiars microfiber system so not sure which is best as the microfiber is only £20 more. There's not too many scratches on the car so I imagine it's only going to need a light going over to clear the swirl marks.

My current thoughts for winter prep process are as follows:
  • Snow foam + 2/3 bucket wash
  • Decontaminate using iron X and tardis
  • Snow foam + 2/3 bucket wash
  • DA polish
  • Panel wipe or wash again to remove polish residue?
  • C2v3 at least 1 coat, preferably 2

I'd prefer not to clay if possible as I'm going to be pushed for time/weather to get this all done as I don't have a garage to use, and also claying frightens me a bit (for some reason using the DA doesn't!), but the main reason to avoid claying will be the time factor.

I've used iron X before, but not tardis so have a couple of questions on this:
  • how to apply - dilute? use a spray bottle? (and how much do I need)
  • probbably a daft question so apologies if this has been answered before but why does iron x need to be done before tardis? (if done other way around then wouldn't need to dry the car in between as iron x can be put on a wet car)
  • Where best to buy from as CYC don't sell it? Seen some on both amazon and eBay.

Before all this I'll need to get a chip repair kit and fix the stone chips - 1 one deep one on the front wing, 1 on the back door and 1 on at the bottom of the front bumper. I seem to recall discussing this in another thread about what to use (I think chip-ex), so I'll go an have a search for that. I figure it's better to have the DA going over them after they've been fixed rather than before.

Not planning on taking the wheels off, as I gave them a coat of C5 back at the beginning of march and it's supposed to last about 2 years (according to the website "The coating requires no special maintenance and should last for around two years"). It's still beading up well at the moment when using the pressure washer on the wheels so will leave it until the post-winter full detail to top it up.

Sorry for the long post but I still feel like a bit of a detailing newbie with regards to some things! :laugh:
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Winter prep/DA questions
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2016, 13:41 »
Hi Dave

Any of those DA kits are fine, as someone new to DA polishing I'd keep it really simple and would go for something like this kit. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-plus-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-plus-meguiars-hex-logic-kit/prod_1453.html  It's A simple cutting pad and compound Megs 105 and finishing pad and compound 205.  I would add only a hex logic black finishing pad too for greater refinement of the paint with the 205 polish.  The Chemical Guys kit gives you more pad and polish options if that's what you prefer.

The planned process looks good.  Definitely panel wipe after polishing to remove all traces of polish resdue so paint is super clean for your choice of protection, Hopefully the iron and tar decontamination phases should get rid of most of the embedded deposits so might be ok to skip claying.

With Tardis and Iron X, you can do it whichever way round you want.  Tardis first then Iron X or vice versa.  Tardis should be applied to a dry car so after your normal wash, dry it, apply tardis then rinse off and apply Iron X to wet car.  If Iron X first, normal wash, don't dry and apply Iron X to wet car, rinse off then dry the car and apply Tardis.  Whichever way the car must be dry for Tardis.

Regarding application of Tardis - decant some into a spray bottle (do not dilute) and spray it onto a very clean, washed car and importantly dried car, doing a few panels at a time (don't let it dry, especially in the sun), use enough to coat the panel entirely, and leave it for 5 mins. After 5 mins, very gently wipe over each panel with a soft microfibre (you need to discard this after), then thoroughly rinse off with a jet washer (or hose) until nothing remains on the car. Best to do the car in sections working your way around in sequence. I would not advise spraying the whole car first in one go, as the first panels may well dry by the time you come to wiping over and rinsing off, so do a few, wipe and rinse, and do next few and so on. 

I buy the big 5L cans from ebay http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autosmart-Tardis-Tar-Glue-Ashesive-Remover-Remove-Clean-Car-Sap-Fast-Acting-/331060382138?varId=540262007049. But you can get smaller bottles on amazon.

Hope it all goes well.  Just planning mine in for end Sep/early Oct too, if only there were more days in the weekend!!!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2016, 14:22 »

With Tardis and Iron X, you can do it whichever way round you want.  Tardis first then Iron X or vice versa.  Tardis should be applied to a dry car so after your normal wash, dry it, apply tardis then rinse off and apply Iron X to wet car.  If Iron X first, normal wash, don't dry and apply Iron X to wet car, rinse off then dry the car and apply Tardis.  Whichever way the car must be dry for Tardis.

Thanks for your detailed (no pun intended) and expert opinion as always!  :grin:

Bit of brain fade there from me... :embarrassed: kind of temporarily forgot that I'd be washing the car first so would need drying anyway so as you say doesn't matter which way around! :laugh: feel very silly now! I'll get an additional MF for this so I won't have to throw any of my wo-wo ones away.

Will go with your recommendation for the DA and extra black hex logic pad, as keeping it simple sounds good! Obviously I'll watch plenty of videos etc before I go and do it, but presumably start with the least abrasive 205 polish with the white pad (as from reading the black one it has no cutting at all) and then if that doesn't do enough go to the 105 and the orange pad.

I'll go with some gtechniq panel wipe as I like their other stuff (c2, c5). Hopefully CYC will get the C2 and iron x back in stock soon as they are out at the moment!

As far as claying, I will leave that for the post-winter detail when there's likely to be more time.

I'll need to time my detailing when the mrs is at work for the day and can send the wee one to her grandparents as I don't think my mrs would tolerate a full day of detailing, which this is going to need!  :laugh: A full 2 hr wash/dry/vacuum is about the most I can get away with!  :whistle:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2016, 15:24 »

Thanks for your detailed (no pun intended) and expert opinion as always!  :grin:

Bit of brain fade there from me... :embarrassed: kind of temporarily forgot that I'd be washing the car first so would need drying anyway so as you say doesn't matter which way around! :laugh: feel very silly now! I'll get an additional MF for this so I won't have to throw any of my wo-wo ones away.

Will go with your recommendation for the DA and extra black hex logic pad, as keeping it simple sounds good! Obviously I'll watch plenty of videos etc before I go and do it, but presumably start with the least abrasive 205 polish with the white pad (as from reading the black one it has no cutting at all) and then if that doesn't do enough go to the 105 and the orange pad.

I'll go with some gtechniq panel wipe as I like their other stuff (c2, c5). Hopefully CYC will get the C2 and iron x back in stock soon as they are out at the moment!

As far as claying, I will leave that for the post-winter detail when there's likely to be more time.

I'll need to time my detailing when the mrs is at work for the day and can send the wee one to her grandparents as I don't think my mrs would tolerate a full day of detailing, which this is going to need!  :laugh: A full 2 hr wash/dry/vacuum is about the most I can get away with!  :whistle:

Lol, don't feel silly Dave. Tbh, you do actually have to sit there and go through the process in your head to suddenly realise that somewhere along the line there is an additional drying phase whichever way you do it. I've done that many times, lol.  Some people do use Tardis on a wet car, but the standing water left can dilute it reducing its effectiveness so better to dry off first I think.

If CYC are out of stock, why not just get your Iron X from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/CarPro-Iron-500ml-Retail-pack/dp/B008AV7V8K   There is a lemon scented version but trust me it smells no better and no less sulphurous than the normal one. Another microfibre you need to chuck away!

Yep least abrasive polish first on least abrasive pad - so start 205 on white pad, and if more cut required then really you should next move to 205 on orange pad, and then if not enough, 105 on white....followed by 105 on orange if necessary.  But in reality if you start with the white/205 combo you should soon be able to tell what might be required and step up as you think is best, maybe going straight to 105 on orange. Then step back down, finishing with 205 on white and a few final passes with 205 on black for final jewelling.

Finding dedicated uninterrupted time is tough. I'll probably take a couple days leave from work and do it whist my daughter is at school and HWMBO out of my hair. It is not something that can be done with a child or other half in tow, haha! 

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2016, 20:29 »
Cleaned the car today (details/pics in the usual thread). Still looks pretty good really. I have been re-considering what to do, and I think I am going to skip the DA this winter. Will fix the stone chips, do Iron X and TarDis, followed by C2V3.

Think I am going to be pushed for time, and the weather will be against me, and also could do without dropping £200 on a DA at the moment.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2016, 09:38 »
I've assembled my shopping list ready for the decon:

Chipex 'Road Rash' kit
C2V3 500ml Kit (inc 3 cloths and a spray bottle)
G6 Perfect Glass
Panel Wipe 250ml
Iron X LS 500ml
Chemical resistant sprayer head
Empty measuring/sprayer bottle x2 (1 for tardis, 1 for wheel cleaner as I just have a plain bottle for this at the moment)
Tardis 1L

All that lot still comes to just over £100 so definitely can't afford the DA at the moment! :laugh:

Chipex kit from them direct (http://www.chipex.co.uk/), Tardis from eBay and everything else from CYC. Am just waiting for CYC to get the measuring sprayer bottles back in stock.  :cool:

Going on a trip down south next weekend for a small getaway, so will fix the chips & do the decon after that as I may end up with another chip or 2 on that journey (aprox 800 miles total)  :smiley:

Offline MkVIIGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2016, 10:28 »

Chipex 'Road Rash' kit
G6 Perfect Glass
Panel Wipe 250ml
Iron X LS 500ml
Empty measuring/sprayer bottle x2 (1 for tardis, 1 for wheel cleaner as I just have a plain bottle for this at the moment)
Tardis 1L

I'd be very keen to hear what you think of the Chipex kit Dave. I have Tornado Red GTD with a few stone chips on the bonnet which i'd love to sort out nicely  :smiley:

Golf MkVII GTD Tornado Red, DSG, Leather, Rear Camera, Keyless

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2016, 11:38 »

Chipex 'Road Rash' kit
G6 Perfect Glass
Panel Wipe 250ml
Iron X LS 500ml
Tardis 1L

All that lot still comes to just over £100 so definitely can't afford the DA at the moment! :laugh:

Chipex kit from them direct (http://www.chipex.co.uk/), Tardis from eBay and everything else from CYC. Am just waiting for CYC to get the measuring sprayer bottles back in stock.  :cool:

Going on a trip down south next weekend for a small getaway, so will fix the chips & do the decon after that as I may end up with another chip or 2 on that journey (aprox 800 miles total)  :smiley:

Dave, there are often promotional discount codes for Chipex. Worth Googling to see if there are any currently. Clean your Car discount code DW05 should work and get you 5% discount.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2016, 13:20 »
I'd highly recommend picking up Tardis from your nearest Autosmart rep - many of them will sell direct to public, particularly to those that are "prosumers".  eBay Autosmart products are extremely hit and miss in terms of whether they have been watered down etc, and Tardis is definitely not something you want arriving in a container that's been damaged in transit!

There are also a number of other really useful products that should be the staple of a detailing stash - G101 if nothing else.  Your rep will also be able to provide bottles and triggers heads, often as a sweetener!  :wink:

A personal favourite of mine is 20/20 Clear, it's an aerosol glass cleaner that takes some beating in terms of convenience vs result.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2016, 14:23 »

Dave, there are often promotional discount codes for Chipex. Worth Googling to see if there are any currently. Clean your Car discount code DW05 should work and get you 5% discount.

It did pop up on the chipex site with a discount code for first time users, but I was having a look at the basket etc and couldn't see anywhere to type/paste it in, so I will contact them about that before ordering.

I think getting the 'road rash' kit makes the most sense as it's only £8 dearer than the cheapest one and has a shelf life of 4 years vs 1 year (car is on HP for 4 and a bit more years) and I'm bound to get more chips in that time.

Also I already knew about the DW05 code for CYC and factored that in unfortunately! :whistle: :sad:

I'd be very keen to hear what you think of the Chipex kit Dave. I have Tornado Red GTD with a few stone chips on the bonnet which i'd love to sort out nicely  :smiley:

I will certainly be posting pics/thoughts on it when it's done. Aiming to have all this done by the end of September... fingers crossed for a couple of days of good weather!

I'd highly recommend picking up Tardis from your nearest Autosmart rep - many of them will sell direct to public, particularly to those that are "prosumers".  eBay Autosmart products are extremely hit and miss in terms of whether they have been watered down etc, and Tardis is definitely not something you want arriving in a container that's been damaged in transit!

There are also a number of other really useful products that should be the staple of a detailing stash - G101 if nothing else.  Your rep will also be able to provide bottles and triggers heads, often as a sweetener!  :wink:

A personal favourite of mine is 20/20 Clear, it's an aerosol glass cleaner that takes some beating in terms of convenience vs result.

Thanks for the tip. How would I locate my local rep? is there a list of them somewhere?   :huh: