Author Topic: DSG MPG  (Read 8327 times)

mjh_056

Re: DSG MPG
« Reply #20 on: 04 May 2016, 13:04 »
With an aim to get an R with DSG next have been playing with the 'economy' mode this last month under the conditions of being on an A road or a Motorway doing reasonable distance.

These journeys do not really need the power, just get to pace that want and sometimes with the ACC just cruise the journey.

This is on a GTD with DSG but you can see the MPG increasing markedly as each mile passes and yesterday the 70 miles estimate left to refueling went to 80 miles after travelling a fair distance.

Not sure how this translates to the GTi or the R so be interesting to see others who use economy on long distance runs?

No intention of compromising the sport experience when get the R, intend to enjoy that, but when conditions turn the car into a cruiser be nice to save a little bit.

Only really works for the cruise though as its quite slow in picking up if in any traffic.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2016, 14:23 by mjh_056 »

Offline Nano2nd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 04 May 2016, 13:34 »
A what, £90k impractical car, and you're "not rich" lol

I've often wondered just how much money people have to have before they call themselves rich... I guess I've just notched it up a few ;-)

Actually its a £125k car ;)  - luckily i paid way less that that before the market went nuts!

Offline Nano2nd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 04 May 2016, 13:40 »
Sorry but I don't quite get it, your commute is 65 miles a day and I'm guessing five days. Let's say the difference between a DSG and manual is no more than 5mpg(DSG-30mpg/manual-35mpg) that makes a difference of under £8 a week but you yet you have 430 and are buying a GTI PP

its more of a mental thing, if its struggles to do 30MPG i'll start driving round like a grandma (this was what happened in my 981), it it pretty easily gets close to 40MPG i'll probably not worry about it - yes i am a bit mental!  i'm trying very hard to justify coming out of my diesel company car into something more fun, its gonna cost me more to buy and run (opt out is poor), if the GTI only does 30MPG then sod it i'll buy the 235i as its loads quicker and a better deal as the discounts and delivery times are better.

Offline Nano2nd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 04 May 2016, 13:43 »
You don't get rich by throwing your money away. If you are careful about where your money goes you can chose to spend more on other things that otherwise wouldn't be affordable.

I have run more expensive cars than my golf in the past. It took me everything I had to get them and everything I could get to keep them.

It's all about your priorities and money management.

this :D

i've wanted a Ferrari since i was 5 years old, when i was diagnosed with Cancer in 2007 i promised myself i'd get one if i didn't die, turns out i didn't die but it took me 8 years to be in a position to be able to borrow enough money to buy my dream car.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #24 on: 04 May 2016, 17:50 »
I get in trouble if I come home with a new Xbox game :(

Mind you, if I said "look dear I bought you a new Ferrari" she might at least pause for 5 secs before battering me with the frying pan and telling me how I should have spent the money on a new kitchen or a holiday and that how she wont be able to drive a 430 or that its not really for her, its for me.

LOL!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 04 May 2016, 19:22 »
This is a weeks driving from Stafford to Fort William and around the highlands. Motorway was 70mph or slightly more all the way up and back, it got to 45mpg on the way up. It is always 35+mpg of any run over 10miles when the engine has warmed up the economy rises significantly. Getting over 400miles to a tank and can't grumble at that.

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 04 May 2016, 20:42 »
This was in my DSG R......... Over 40 in my GTI albeit manual was a piece of cake 🎂 
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

mjh_056

« Reply #27 on: 05 May 2016, 08:45 »
This was in my DSG R......... Over 40 in my GTI albeit manual was a piece of cake 🎂 

Notice you have the setting as 'Eco' is that how this MPG was achieved, steady 50-70 MPH Cruise?

I can get mid 50s in my GTD under similar conditions so thats not too shabby at all and would be very happy if the R can achieve that on these medium distance runs.

Offline Nano2nd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 05 May 2016, 08:52 »
This is a weeks driving from Stafford to Fort William and around the highlands. Motorway was 70mph or slightly more all the way up and back, it got to 45mpg on the way up. It is always 35+mpg of any run over 10miles when the engine has warmed up the economy rises significantly. Getting over 400miles to a tank and can't grumble at that.

yours a DSG or Manual?

Offline Nano2nd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 05 May 2016, 08:54 »

that seems very impressive for an R, i thought the R was a heap worst than a GTI hence why i'd not even considered it.