Author Topic: DSG MPG  (Read 8260 times)

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: DSG MPG
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2016, 07:52 »
thanks all, sounds like i really need to get that test drive sorted!  has anyone else got experience in getting extended test drives? is this a VW thing? BMW and Porsche i've bought from before have both been more that willing to let you have a car all day or indeed overnight.

if i'm getting 35+ on my commute that would work mentally, i'm not fussed about it dropping on a hoon, i just don't want to spend all my regular driving concerned about MPG.  really don't want to have another diesel if i can help it!

interesting about the comments on the improvements over time, my wife tiguan has improved massively over the years, its now on 22K and easily gets into the hugh 30's low 40s when driven normaly - its the 180 4 motion TDI, when we first got it i was abit worried as it was much more high 20's to low 30s in the same conditions

A wee bit off topic mate but what was the 235 like aside from the mpg?

Offline Nano2nd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2016, 08:38 »

it was pretty good, i'm currently in a 120d m sport so ergonomically it wasn't much different, but performance wise it was epic, its a very fast and capable car, handling was really good, my 120d is a bit tail happy in the wet and really crashy (m sport suspension) the 235 was like a different car in this respect, it was a wet day when i had it but grip was so much better i put this down to the non runflats on the 235 and possibly the influence of the auto box. If you could have only one car it'd be hard to beat to be honest, my only real criticism(other than MPG) was that it was really quiet(sound symposer aside - which i don't like), however the MP exhaust sorts this out i'm led to believe and only costs about £700.

if i had the money then i would get one without question, however i can't justify the cost with my other toy (F430).

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2016, 08:47 »

it was pretty good, i'm currently in a 120d m sport so ergonomically it wasn't much different, but performance wise it was epic, its a very fast and capable car, handling was really good, my 120d is a bit tail happy in the wet and really crashy (m sport suspension) the 235 was like a different car in this respect, it was a wet day when i had it but grip was so much better i put this down to the non runflats on the 235 and possibly the influence of the auto box. If you could have only one car it'd be hard to beat to be honest, my only real criticism(other than MPG) was that it was really quiet(sound symposer aside - which i don't like), however the MP exhaust sorts this out i'm led to believe and only costs about £700.

if i had the money then i would get one without question, however i can't justify the cost with my other toy (F430).

Thanks very much for the feedback. Much appreciated. I am tempted by the 235 but will hold off to see the 240 when it appears.

F430 wow  :shocked:. Would love to see a few pics of that  :cool:

Offline Nano2nd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2016, 09:11 »
yeah u can get some great discounts on the 235 at the moment, theres a guy on the babybmw forum undercutting all the online brokers and seems to be a really good guy to deal with too!  shame theres no-one in the VW world doing the same, ordered my Tiguan from DTD as no-one seemed interested in getting near that price a my local VW, they need to wise up - BMW have put this guy on full time dealing with online enquiries from enthusiasts forums, as the internet opens up more of this kind of seller to the mases these kind of guys who site behind their desks ripping of grannies are going to struggle to hit their sales targets in the the new world. the guy from my local VW couldn't even be bothered to call me a back with the PCP quotes!

Offline Nano2nd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 04 May 2016, 09:19 »
heres a few pics of the 430, i bought it just before my missus got made redundant, shes now setting up her own business so cash flow is an issue, i'm desperately trying to hang onto it hence why i'm concerned about costs on my daily(i'm not rich by any stretch of the the imagination!) before anyone states the obvious ;)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 04 May 2016, 09:35 »
A what, £90k impractical car, and you're "not rich" lol

I've often wondered just how much money people have to have before they call themselves rich... I guess I've just notched it up a few ;-)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 04 May 2016, 09:38 »
That is one gorgeous F430, love the reg plate. I think I know the chap you are referring to on the BMW who seems to do a great job with his discounts. There are a few dealers on here but no dedicated online sales unfortunately.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 04 May 2016, 09:45 »
heres a few pics of the 430, i bought it just before my missus got made redundant, shes now setting up her own business so cash flow is an issue, i'm desperately trying to hang onto it hence why i'm concerned about costs on my daily(i'm not rich by any stretch of the the imagination!) before anyone states the obvious ;)

That's beautiful; Love it!  :cool: :cool:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 04 May 2016, 12:08 »
Sorry but I don't quite get it, your commute is 65 miles a day and I'm guessing five days. Let's say the difference between a DSG and manual is no more than 5mpg(DSG-30mpg/manual-35mpg) that makes a difference of under £8 a week but you yet you have 430 and are buying a GTI PP

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 04 May 2016, 12:51 »
You don't get rich by throwing your money away. If you are careful about where your money goes you can chose to spend more on other things that otherwise wouldn't be affordable.

I have run more expensive cars than my golf in the past. It took me everything I had to get them and everything I could get to keep them.

It's all about your priorities and money management.
Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP