Author Topic: DSG MPG  (Read 8346 times)

Offline Nano2nd

• Not said much yet
DSG MPG
« on: 03 May 2016, 09:03 »
Hi all, i'm looking to buy a new GTI PP and definitely want a DSG as i do a lot of miles in traffic, is it really that much worst on MPG over the Manual? 

I had a M235i on extended test drive and only my commute a 65 mile round trip mostly motorway will stop start traffic either end managed 31MPG, based on this and the cost £34k with discount i'm thinking a GTI would be more suitable £27K and and better fuel economy.... however most of the references about the decent economy on the GTI seem to be on the manual, i've seen people saying 40+ on a run... i don't think the 235 would of ever got to 40.

anyone had both manual and DSG that can comment of the real world differences?

i've been trying to get an extended test drive and both Leicester & Derby don't offer them, i don't understand who'd spend £30k+ on a car with just a 20 minutes trip round the block with a sales guy sat next to you!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: DSG MPG
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2016, 09:19 »
Its typically about 5mpg better for manual, which doesn't sound like a lot, but as a percentage its a fair bit and when you apply that to your annual fuel bill, its quite a lot. I don't think you'll see anything like 40mpg in the conditions you describe though.

On the other hand, if you do drive a lot in urban traffic at rush hour, the DSG will be a definite plus.

Hopefully soon the new DSG boxes will deliver equivalent MPG.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2016, 09:28 »
I am averaging very low 30's in my PP DSG. It is possible to get 40mpg on a run but you need to be very smooth to get it.

The mpg is increasing the more miles that I'm doing, it's gone up about 5mpg since it was new and I'm on 10k now.
Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2016, 09:36 »
I picked my non PP manual gti up on fri did about 270 mile round trip to the coast mainly motorways but a & b roads average was 37.5 at 70mph with a few bursts right foot planted n grin factor   :whistle: I'm happy with those figures guessing will get even more wi chilled drivin lol
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2016, 10:00 »
After 30,000 miles my long term average mpg is 37-38. Bare in mind mine is a non-PP GTI with DSG.

The vast bulk of my milage is on motorways and in heavy traffic.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2016, 10:06 by Hawaii-Five-O »
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2016, 10:01 »
I found is strange that the Golf GTI Manual mpg is worser than the DSG version yet it's the other way around for the Golf R, DSG gives better mpg on the R.
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline Bullfinch

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2016, 19:16 »
I've owned my GTI PP DSG for 6 months now and average fuel economy is around 30-31mpg.  I always refill to the top and generally the refill light comes on around 300 miles.  My regular commute is 12 miles each way in stop/start traffic with average mph around 30.  Even when I've done longer trips the mpg only rises a little bit - got 350 miles out of one tank. 
Daily: Mk7.5 GTi PP DSG, Weekend: 911 997 Gen 2 Carrera 4S

Offline robtt

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf Gti pp dsg
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2016, 19:24 »
Pp dsg and getting 34/36 mpg mostly. Commute mix of  country roads and main A roads .Done 7000 miles in seven months and noticing mpg getting better .On a long run ,main A road or motorway ,get nearer 40mpg .Must admit giving it the beans really drops the average...but you have got to expect that. Love the car and happy with the mpg .

Offline BigD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2016, 07:25 »
I can't comment on the differences to manual, but my DSG PP short city commute is below.

The decent MPGs were on west coast road trips.

With regards to test drives, I saw a white PP in the showroom while looking at another car and bought one without a test drive 😂

Offline Nano2nd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2016, 07:39 »
thanks all, sounds like i really need to get that test drive sorted!  has anyone else got experience in getting extended test drives? is this a VW thing? BMW and Porsche i've bought from before have both been more that willing to let you have a car all day or indeed overnight.

if i'm getting 35+ on my commute that would work mentally, i'm not fussed about it dropping on a hoon, i just don't want to spend all my regular driving concerned about MPG.  really don't want to have another diesel if i can help it!

interesting about the comments on the improvements over time, my wife tiguan has improved massively over the years, its now on 22K and easily gets into the hugh 30's low 40s when driven normaly - its the 180 4 motion TDI, when we first got it i was abit worried as it was much more high 20's to low 30s in the same conditions