Author Topic: Throttle response in the MK8  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Crezzer

• Not said much yet
Throttle response in the MK8
« on: 26 January 2021, 15:35 »
Can any folks who have already taken the plunge with a new Mk8 (and ideally previously owned a mk 7 for comparison) confirm if VW have improved the throttle response in the new GTI / R.

No reviews of the new car mention it as being a problem but then again no review of the mk7 / 7.5 seemed to mention you could depress the throttle peddle an inch without anything happening either.

Have VW improved the response or does it still feel like your driving around with 99bhp most of the time?
« Last Edit: 26 January 2021, 15:40 by Crezzer »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Throttle response in the MK8
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2021, 15:51 »
Can you press the throttle an inch with nothing happening in a Mk7?

Is the inch of travelling through nothing decreasing your qualifying times?

The power delivery in the Mk8 is slightly different due to the new higher pressure fuel injectors, this is fact.

The rest?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2021, 19:06 »
Being as I was probably one of the first to moan and then fix the problem on the mk7 back in 2013 and even the mk6 back in 2009 (to a lesser extent but it still irked me) I did actually find the response ok on my drive home from the dealer. Unfortunately I’ve only driven the thing ten miles in a month so can’t really comment properly.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2021, 16:54 »
I did 30-ish miles of commute today in Comfort mode, don’t think I got above 40 mph at any point due to traffic and weather but the throttle still seems to feel ok to me. I’m very tuned in to it looking for any apparent delay but haven’t really found an issue with it (as yet) in stop start driving where it would be most apparent.
The DSG seems slow witted at times which causes its own delay but that’s a whole other subject!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fuster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2021, 18:58 »
I ve had my CS for over a week now and a few trips in it.

Initial impressions are I prefer it to my previous MK7.5R, the throttle response is ‘good’ and sprightly enough from what I am used to (Polo GTI - 7.5R DSG - 7 GTI manual).  Soundaktor is not as exaggerated as well which is a relief to my ears. And like most people I thought the touchscreen / haptic buttons on the steering wheel would be a pain in the arse but it turns out not to be the case. 

Still not too keen on the 18s though but heyho.