Author Topic: Clubsport collection tomorrow  (Read 5584 times)

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
Re: Clubsport collection tomorrow
« Reply #20 on: 21 January 2021, 10:02 »
I'm curious, how much is the road tax on that kind of car in the UK?
(I just want to hurt myself)

£150 a year if you keep the list price under £40k (sorry!!!)
Gone: Mk8 GTI Clubsport
Gone: Audi A8
Gone: Mini JCW
Gone: BMW X4M competition
Gone: Porsche 718 Boxster S
Gone: BMW M4 competition

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 21 January 2021, 10:06 »
I might still pull the trigger on one however as I was impressed with the drive, and right now we need a 5 door car over our current 3 door, but if you look at the BMW 128Ti trim and kit, it seems to feel that bit more special on the inside than the GTi/Clubsport. I want to test drive one first though to compare.

I've seen a 128ti... its not really "special" its just BMW. It feels like a BMW - which is either a good thing or a bad one.

I suspect when eventually we get to see some comparison reviews people will say the Clubby is a much better drivers car than the 128ti....

I'd say that if you can stand the hard ride and the wretched seats, the 128ti is better than the GTI, but not better than the Clubby.

And probably when the R reviews come in, the R is pretty much the best hot hatch out there except the A45 has more power (and price) and the Type R is better on a track.

So many different levels within "hot hatch" these days, the main deciding factors when picking are price and just how much suspension hardness you can suffer.

I went for the Clubsport over the M135i, A35 and Golf R. I think part of my problem with the BMW was the interior. I’m used to some of the higher spec cars from BMW and the M135i was missing quite a bit of equipment you get as standard from some of the other cars.

I didn’t fancy the lead time on the R and the A35 was too harsh for my tastes. Admittedly I took a leap of faith with the Clubsport as I hadn’t driven one but so far it seems to fit the requirements I have for a daily car.

Offline Powerman80

• Not said much yet
  • Auto professional & lover
« Reply #22 on: 21 January 2021, 10:07 »

:cry:

A 290hp here is safely over €1300/year
We got many MK7 TCRs sitting in dealers...
Marco
=============
Hello from Milan Italy

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 21 January 2021, 10:10 »

Man alive......no wonder you all drive Fiat 500s  :grin: :grin:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #24 on: 21 January 2021, 10:14 »

I am sure all of that tax revenue is used to create Italy's perfect road system  :laugh: :grin: :laugh: :grin:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 21 January 2021, 11:42 »
A couple of hastily taken photos yesterday of the car waiting for me. They seemed quite keen to get me away from the dealership which makes sense with the Covid restrictions in place so I didn’t get the chance to take any more. It’s absolutely filthy after the drive home so I’ll be giving the car a quick clean this afternoon so I can take some better photos.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 21 January 2021, 11:53 »
Looks pretty damned good.

Yeah Covid new car collections.... my dealer said basically we'll throw the keys at you out of the window...

On the other hand, I never like the drawn out handovers, I can figure stuff out for myself.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 21 January 2021, 12:02 »
Looks pretty damned good.

Yeah Covid new car collections.... my dealer said basically we'll throw the keys at you out of the window...

On the other hand, I never like the drawn out handovers, I can figure stuff out for myself.

Completely agree. When I picked my JCW Mini up they had it in the dealership under a cover. I’ve never been so embarrassed having to take the cover off with people looking. I would rather just have the keys and go!

A few first impressions/  early points to note.

1 - I don’t think the infotainment is as hard to operate as I’ve been led to believe from reviews and such.

2 - Interior does not photograph well. It feels well built and of decent quality (a match for the M4 easily) but looks crap in photos.

3 - The ride is much softer than I expected which is a bonus given I’ll be doing several long trips in this car once Covid is over.

4 - The exhaust is very civil in comfort but the car sounds lovey in sport
« Last Edit: 21 January 2021, 12:06 by ClubsportMk8 »

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 21 January 2021, 12:51 »
Agreed re the interior. From photos, it looked very minimalist to me but when I sat in one (a std GTI) it felt rather nice and cocooned and the seats were very comfy. One thing I'd like to option in a GTI would be the CS seats - I can see that they want to keep those exclusively for the CS.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 21 January 2021, 13:04 »
A few first impressions/  early points to note.

1 - I don’t think the infotainment is as hard to operate as I’ve been led to believe from reviews and such.

2 - Interior does not photograph well. It feels well built and of decent quality (a match for the M4 easily) but looks crap in photos.

3 - The ride is much softer than I expected which is a bonus given I’ll be doing several long trips in this car once Covid is over.

4 - The exhaust is very civil in comfort but the car sounds lovey in sport

1 - I thought the same and it will only get better as you get used to it. It will become second nature quickly.

2 - yes there is something weird about that too

3- not tried the clubby but the GTI on 18's and without DCC was harder than a Mk7 GTD but never hard like a 128ti

4 - is it actually the exhaust or is it the soundaktor.... if you haven't setup and individual profile, its the soundaktor.... fake sound

PS actual real exhaust noise and hooligan pops and bangs is now outlawed by the EU for OEM's. If you want that, you have to do it yourself.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2021, 13:31 by fredgroves »