Author Topic: Clubsport collection tomorrow  (Read 5446 times)

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
Clubsport collection tomorrow
« on: 19 January 2021, 17:28 »
Afternoon all,

I’ll be picking up my Clubsport from VW tomorrow morning. I know there have potentially been a few teething issues with some of the technology but anything in particular I should be looking out for beyond the usual new car check?

It goes without saying I’m beyond excited!

Gone: Mk8 GTI Clubsport
Gone: Audi A8
Gone: Mini JCW
Gone: BMW X4M competition
Gone: Porsche 718 Boxster S
Gone: BMW M4 competition

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Clubsport collection tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2021, 17:41 »

Make sure its got a minimum Software version - 1666... or you will be back again at the dealers for a software upgrade, which takes 6 hours(!!)

That seems to be what I've discovered today and expect keyless to still be a problem...

And if you get warnings about Emergency Assist deactivated, thats not about the E-Call thing, thats Emergency Assist - a system which detects the driver being incapacitated by you not gripping the steering wheel.... which needs a new steering wheel.

Not sure if that problem applies to newer cars, like a clubby but certainly seems to be a problem with non-performance models and maybe the GTI too.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2021, 17:55 »

Make sure its got a minimum Software version - 1666... or you will be back again at the dealers for a software upgrade, which takes 6 hours(!!)

That seems to be what I've discovered today and expect keyless to still be a problem...

And if you get warnings about Emergency Assist deactivated, thats not about the E-Call thing, thats Emergency Assist - a system which detects the driver being incapacitated by you not gripping the steering wheel.... which needs a new steering wheel.

Not sure if that problem applies to newer cars, like a clubby but certainly seems to be a problem with non-performance models and maybe the GTI too.

Thank you, I’ll be sure to check those things.

Some of the safety systems (including the emergency assist) were problematic on my A8 when I first got it. Possibly a Vw group issue?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2021, 18:21 »
All sorts of teething problems it seems.

Not unexpected but a pain for you and i...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2021, 21:12 »
All sorts of teething problems it seems.

Not unexpected but a pain for you and i...

Indeed. I’m usually fine with signing up to a Beta version of iPlayer or something but not a car!

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2021, 21:35 »
Hope you enjoy the car! It’ll be interesting picking a new car up during these conditions. Remember to get some photos up otherwise it never happened.  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2021, 22:27 »
Hope you enjoy the car! It’ll be interesting picking a new car up during these conditions. Remember to get some photos up otherwise it never happened.  :grin:

I’ll try and get some up but photography has never been one of my strengths. I also picked my M4 comp up during the first lockdown and it was a little different to previous collections. Very much a case of throw the keys at you and off you go!

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2021, 09:41 »
Yes, it did not happen unless there is photos - Always good to see new cars for new or existing members roll in, we all remember that day and its always a moment best shared with like minded :)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2021, 16:48 »
Afternoon all,

I’ll be picking up my Clubsport from VW tomorrow morning. I know there have potentially been a few teething issues with some of the technology but anything in particular I should be looking out for beyond the usual new car check?

Well, considering the interesting car history you’ve had, what do you think of it so far?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2021, 18:04 »
Afternoon all,

Well, considering the interesting car history you’ve had, what do you think of it so far?

I’ve just got home (photos to follow) but so far very impressed. The car is on the standard 18s without DCC and it rides much better than I thought it would. I haven’t had the chance to give it some stick yet (will probably take it easy for 500 miles or so) but it sounds good on half throttle in sport mode. I’ll write up some full first impressions later tonight/ tomorrow morning but so far I must be the only person who is enjoying the steering wheel layout and screens.