Author Topic: Fred's surprise Munich Trip... guess what...  (Read 13093 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Fred's surprise Munich Trip... guess what...
« Reply #90 on: 31 January 2021, 21:27 »

Lets start the education here. The tyres we are talking about are NOT all season. They are 4 season tyres.  :tongue:

Darn it, I fell asleep at the back of the class again.  :lipsrsealed:

Well, being as there are four seasons i figured that was all the seasons  :whistle:

It’ll sink into my head one day  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #91 on: 31 January 2021, 21:42 »
I'll stick to pizzas. I know my pizza. Four seasons, very predictable.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #92 on: 31 January 2021, 21:54 »
Mandatory winter tyres in the Uk? Blimey, we aren’t leaving much room for personal freedom! Not cold enough for long enough in most of the UK.
I am a big fan of winter tyres, but I have come to realise that they are not the best option for the UK. Tyre technology is developing really fast. A modern 4 season tyre is possibly the best option for the UK. Unfortunately, I doubt if it will ever become a legal requirement.

Due in large part to Audi marketing, more people believe that 4 wheel drive is what you need in the snow and ice. Including many motoring journalists. I still can not find any independent articles or video that show the safety advantage of 4 wheel drive. In fact, if you google 4WD myths you will find that 4WD safety is a myth!

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #93 on: 31 January 2021, 21:57 »
Well, being as there are four seasons i figured that was all the seasons  :whistle:

It is confusing.

Germans make it law to fit good tyres in winter. While marketing Quattro to the gullible UK motorist :angry:

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #94 on: 31 January 2021, 22:11 »
Mandatory winter tyres in the Uk? Blimey, we aren’t leaving much room for personal freedom! Not cold enough for long enough in most of the UK.
I am a big fan of winter tyres, but I have come to realise that they are not the best option for the UK. Tyre technology is developing really fast. A modern 4 season tyre is possibly the best option for the UK. Unfortunately, I doubt if it will ever become a legal requirement.

Due in large part to Audi marketing, more people believe that 4 wheel drive is what you need in the snow and ice. Including many motoring journalists. I still can not find any independent articles or video that show the safety advantage of 4 wheel drive. In fact, if you google 4WD myths you will find that 4WD safety is a myth!

My point was it shouldn’t be a legal requirement here, winter, cross climate or whatever. There’s plenty of other things you could do that would have a far bigger impact on safety- like mandatory speed limiters- but most on this forum would be up in arms at that suggestion!

I did find the volkswizard video interesting. It would be good to have one car with cross climate tyres, though I wouldn’t want them on my gti.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #95 on: 31 January 2021, 22:18 »
Speed limiting is coming... Think its 2022.

That thing where the mk8 cruise control uses GPS and traffic sign recognition to reduce the set speed.... That's going to work differently soon...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #96 on: 31 January 2021, 22:20 »

On the issue of AWD, I would imagine a light AWD car would be pretty good in snow. A GR yaris for example.
Most AWD are those big SUV lumps- too heavy to stop! I’m ashamed to admit we had an X5 ( it was the wife’s really) which I didn’t particularly like driving in the snow

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #97 on: 31 January 2021, 22:24 »

That thing where the mk8 cruise control uses GPS and traffic sign recognition to reduce the set speed.... That's going to work differently soon...

Yeah technology is there to limit speed and to very easily track how fast people are going.
They’re taking the joy out of life!

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #98 on: 31 January 2021, 23:30 »

Does the new Golf have ‘speed limit assist’ like the new BMW?

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #99 on: 31 January 2021, 23:45 »
It would be good to have one car with cross climate tyres, though I wouldn’t want them on my gti.
I have winter tyres on my GTI. They are better than the OEM Bridgestones below 7C. And, of course, they work on snow and ice. The issue I have with either set of tyres is traction above 4000 revs. The only solution is 4 wheel drive.  :evil:
« Last Edit: 01 February 2021, 00:45 by Daz Auto »