Poll

What do we all think of the standard Richmond alloys for the Mk8 GTi

Really like them. Don't understand the hate.
5 (11.6%)
They're ok. I can live with them no problem.
10 (23.3%)
Not keen, but I wouldn't pay to change for something else.
6 (14%)
Hate them, would definitely pay to upgrade or swap for aftermarket wheels.
19 (44.2%)
They look ok, but I'd probably choose something else anyway.
3 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: 10 July 2021, 22:56

Author Topic: Mk8 GTi standard alloy wheels. Love 'em or hate 'em?  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Mk8 GTi standard alloy wheels. Love 'em or hate 'em?
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2021, 12:39 »
I don’t have an option to vote.
Similar to SR I don’t like polished designs from a longevity point of view. They’re designed for markets where one changes to winter wheels before the salt spreading starts. Almost all car manufacturers use diamond cut wheels and have done for some time so it’s far from just VW. It provides good income for refurbishment companies in the UK.

I think the Richmonds look ok side on but I’m very fussy about visuals and the fact they are far too inset bothers me a lot.
I’ve opted to change them for a multitude of reasons but don’t actually hate the design.

As Joe says, the telephone dial Monzas are iconic but from the Austins onwards the wheel designs are just generic and not very sporty unless an upgrade is chosen.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2021, 12:44 »
Looks like VW have come up with a cunning plan to extract 800 quid from everyone.... much like when their marketing department geniuses came up with the free colour being Purple Nasty.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2021, 12:47 »
I don’t have an option to vote.
Similar to SR I don’t like polished designs from a longevity point of view. They’re designed for markets where one changes to winter wheels before the salt spreading starts. Almost all car manufacturers use diamond cut wheels and have done for some time so it’s far from just VW. It provides good income for refurbishment companies in the UK.

I think the Richmonds look ok side on but I’m very fussy about visuals and the fact they are far too inset bothers me a lot.
I’ve opted to change them for a multitude of reasons but don’t actually hate the design.

As Joe says, the telephone dial Monzas are iconic but from the Austins onwards the wheel designs are just generic and not very sporty unless an upgrade is chosen.

Edited the poll, just for you  :grin:
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 12 January 2021, 13:23 »

Edited the poll, just for you  :grin:

:kiss:  :laugh:
Voted!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2021, 16:58 »
I have just noticed something with the Richmonds....... Due to the non-symmetrical design, they go 'forwards' on left hand side of the car and 'backwards' on the right hand side. I'm laughing at myself as clearly that has to be the case (ie only one design) but I've never thought about it before (also the case with the Parkers but less pronounced). This is really messing with my OCD...... :grin: :grin:

Tin hat on...

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 14 January 2021, 17:40 »
I have just noticed something with the Richmonds....... Due to the non-symmetrical design, they go 'forwards' on left hand side of the car and 'backwards' on the right hand side. I'm laughing at myself as clearly that has to be the case (ie only one design) but I've never thought about it before (also the case with the Parkers but less pronounced). This is really messing with my OCD...... :grin: :grin:

Tin hat on...

And also the Austin’s on the mk7 GTI and the Reifnitz alloys on the GTI TCR, and Adelaide alloys on the mk8 (there are probably others too).

Just to really mess with your OCD, I can remember someone on the mk7 forum board posting an image of their infotainment screen showing fuel consumption data for their GTI. On the image of the car on the infotainment screen, I think the spokes on the alloys were pointing in the opposite direction to the spokes on the road wheels on the car! :grin:
« Last Edit: 14 January 2021, 17:42 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2021, 18:05 »

Tin hat on...

And also the Austin’s on the mk7 GTI and the Reifnitz alloys on the GTI TCR, and Adelaide alloys on the mk8 (there are probably others too).

Just to really mess with your OCD, I can remember someone on the mk7 forum board posting an image of their infotainment screen showing fuel consumption data for their GTI. On the image of the car on the infotainment screen, I think the spokes on the alloys were pointing in the opposite direction to the spokes on the road wheels on the car! :grin:

I guess with the Richmonds, it’s the fact that the design is so pronounced in one direction that they look like they should only roll one way. Can I change my vote?!  :whistle:

Interesting that they look ‘correct’ on the left hand side of the car.....

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 14 January 2021, 20:53 »
Have to say the optional 19s for the 8 GTI are the oddest wheels I have ever seen on a performance car. On that basis I would prefer the 18s but equally, where on Earth are VW going with their cool design bypass??
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 14 January 2021, 20:55 »
On a positive note, the 18s and 19s offers on the 8 make my Parker’s look good!
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #19 on: 14 January 2021, 22:45 »
On a positive note, the 18s and 19s offers on the 8 make my Parker’s look good!

lol, yeah

I never understood the hate towards the Parkers. I much preferred them to the Austins. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder and all that.

IMO the front of the Mk8 looks alright, the alloys are 'meh', and the rear looks like a Tiguan. It may be easier to resist buying one than I though.  :undecided:  :smiley:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS