Author Topic: 1st MK1 Golf GTI  (Read 41574 times)

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
1st MK1 Golf GTI
« on: 04 March 2012, 11:37 »
Righty here we go after breaking and scrapping my MK3 for being a rust box and deciding the money required to repair it couldnt be justified i was on the look out for another MK2 but got abit side tracked lol.
After a classified on edition i found this about 30 minutes up the A5

Its a MK1 Golf GTI 1982, Done just over 200K and has most old MOT'S and a few other bits of paper work and a fair few spares included.
This is how she looked when i went to see her, been stood inside for 4 years i believe

After first inspection as expected good and bad lol the front panel seems solid and original (factory barcode still on there) engine bay area again seems solid which is a bonus but then the passenger sill has been replaced....cant coment on quality of work as its covered in primer and filler so need to strip that back but most likely be cut off and new replacement panel (included with car) put on. but driver side inner and outter sill pretty fubar

few more holes in floor

Nice bodge with some silicone and fibre glass, Pure class used on that repair!  :grin:

And this is what happened when i was stripping her down....bit of rust lol  :huh:

Spare wheel well is solid which is always a bonus, other area that needs attention is scuttle

Not too bad, may be able to repair instead of replacing hole panel unless i can get a new genuine panel.

So i started stripping her down to see what horrors she holds and get her ready for repairs and it would appear its had a new rear panel at some point (not the greatest job) and also had new sills and outer arches welded in

Which is unbelievable really that someone has spent money doing that and now its in this state.
At end of play yesterday this is how she stood

Was hoping to get out there today to get the looms and rest of windows and bits and bobs removed but weather has stopped me so have to wait till next week now  :sad:

Plans for near future are to get her all stripped down and as soon as i knock my wall down at the side of my house and put some gates in she'll be in the back garden under a gazebo so can work rain or shine.

Wont be a quick progress project as time and money wont allow but think it will be worth it in the end,
Any comments, criticism watever you want to say is welcomed.

Also would people recomend removing the sound deadening/tar stuff off floor or try and leave as much there as possible and work around it?

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: 1st MK1 Golf GTI
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2012, 11:45 »
Got your work cut of for you on this project!!!  :shocked:

Keep up the good work and keep posting pic's...

Fancy a MK1 my self so will follow with interest!! :undecided:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2012, 11:52 »
Great project  :cool:

MKIV Mod Squadâ„¢ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2012, 12:29 »
Certainly got your work cut out on this anyway. Looking forward to seeing things happen to it. You gonna restore it to its original condition or do you have other plans for it?

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline travisreeve

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2012, 12:55 »
Another mk1  :grin:... Il be watching this

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2012, 12:56 »
Yeeeeah!.. Another one...

You are a brave man taking this on and I take my hat off to you for restoring a car that most would scrap... Need to keep these old girls on the road.

Seriously though that has some nasty rot in places that I have never seen on a mk1.  That rear panel repair is pretty cr@p.. Will definitely be following this.  :cool:  :cool:

If you get stuck with anything, give me a shout.

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2012, 15:52 »
Certainly got your work cut out on this anyway. Looking forward to seeing things happen to it. You gonna restore it to its original condition or do you have other plans for it?

Yep shes been abit unloved by looks of it lol, yeah im hoping to get it back to complete OEM inc the 1600 engine, just the obvious want some nice wheels and coilovers. Also hoping to do some work on the engine just see iff i can get a few more horses on top of the 110 from factory. Possibly go for bigger brakes up front and rear disc conversion as i still have a set off MK4 rear calipers i bought for the MK3.

Yeeeeah!.. Another one...

You are a brave man taking this on and I take my hat off to you for restoring a car that most would scrap... Need to keep these old girls on the road.

Seriously though that has some nasty rot in places that I have never seen on a mk1.  That rear panel repair is pretty cr@p.. Will definitely be following this.  :cool:  :cool:

If you get stuck with anything, give me a shout.

Lol i must admit the whole in the floor by the drivers side seatbelt anchor is abit odd and is the only area im worried about getting a repair panel for as luckily theres alot of panels available for these old slags. The rear panel is pretty shocking, from the back it looks all bent etc but think its from poor fitment, its coming off neway and gunna try and sorce a genuine panel.
I appreciate the offer of a helping hand as you never know when u may need a chuck, cheers.

On a slightly possitive note after looking at the picture of the drivers sill earlier and a quick run outside thankfully (in my head) they have just put a sill over the original hence y its rotted out but wen i remove it i should have some metal to work with and be able to use as little as the repair panel as possible.  :smiley:

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2012, 16:11 »

Is that one sill welded on top of another?

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2012, 17:55 »
Yeah it is lol, i only had a quick feel earlia but on that pick it almost looks as thought theres 3 if you see what i mean? crazyness really im actually looking forward to attacking it with a knotted wheel to remove the paint and see whats lurking behind  :laugh:

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 March 2012, 18:18 »
I will definitely be watching this! I love mk1's and this one definitely needs some love!