Author Topic: Garage floor paint  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
Re: Garage floor paint
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2020, 14:57 »
After trying various paints, I found that the paint would wear off no matter how meticulous the preparation, tyres would stick to the paint even after allowing time for them to cool down before putting the car away and the floor becomes very slippery when wet.

About 5 years ago I changed to carpet tiles, brought enough for £50 to cover a double garage and they are brilliant. I do put rubber mats under the wheels and use a board under the jack and axle stands. Apart from that I just run a hoover over them every couple of months and they are fine.

I also use carpet tiles to cover the bench top.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2020, 15:09 »
@AGB. That looks amazing for 5 years! Do you keep your car in the garage too?

@Pretzel. Thanks for that. I’ve been looking at the rubber flooring too but will look into this as well. Like that it’s maintenance free.   
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Highland28

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2020, 15:37 »
I'm following this thread closely.
I'm looking to do a very similar thing, my garage is very uneven though, with chips out of the concrete in several areas, so is quite rough. Should I be looking to level this out?
I had though about a self levelling compound but I'm undecided of this yet. I thought maybe just painting it as it is.
I won't be putting the car in the garage, there are too many tools, winter wheels and bikes to keep in it.
2013 Night Blue GTi with heated leather seats.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2020, 20:01 »
Whatever you do, don't get the floor paint from B&Q, even the stuff they label as trade is rubbish. Mine is peeling up in great patches (I'm going to use my pressure washer to get it all up) and replace with something else.

As has been said, the paint that comes as a 2 part mix is loads better - if you go in the majority of Wickes stores, you'll see some strips across some of the floors between the tills. Some (obviously all the ones that still look good) of those will have been made by me fitting the security tag detection kit about 25 years ago, which has since been replaced again but I went in my local Wickes a good few months ago and the paint was still there.

And as has been said, preparation is the key!
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2020, 12:46 »
@AGB. That looks amazing for 5 years! Do you keep your car in the garage too?

Haha! You can see muddy tyre marks from the closest bay that have been tracked in. The garage is in use all the time - I have a pea shingle drive and stone gets caught from time to time and I thought it would scratch and damage the surface but there is hardly a mark. Road grime and water drips off the cars when they're put in from time to time and I just have a stiff short bristle broom and a bucket of suds which i use to clean it. That's it. That shot I took a few weeks back and the floor is covered in winter grime. Been cleaned properly now and it's gleaming.

If I had my time again, I reckon I'd just have the floor professionally tiled. I had my kitchen redone a couple of years ago and had a chat with the tiler who was a petrolhead as it happens. He pointed me in the direction of tiles as I mentioned that I had initially been looking at a self levelling screed. I was really surprised by how cost effectively you can do a job of that size for if you buy in a sale and are not too precious about colour choices.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 14 April 2020, 09:51 »
I spent about 80 quid on interlocking floor tiles, and they're brilliant!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aRFARg1faD5AhpgJ8

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2020, 11:47 »
They look great. Where did you get them from?
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #17 on: 15 April 2020, 08:36 »
The problem with interlocking floor tiles is water gets under them by getting through the joins. Lift them up after a year or so of having parking wet cars on them and the unbelievable smell of stagnate water.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 15 April 2020, 11:05 »
They look great. Where did you get them from?

B&Q

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 15 April 2020, 11:28 »
The problem with interlocking floor tiles is water gets under them by getting through the joins. Lift them up after a year or so of having parking wet cars on them and the unbelievable smell of stagnate water.

Anything with a permeable surface is going to have this problem.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR