Author Topic: Project Corrado 1.8T  (Read 23389 times)

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
Re: Project Corrado 1.8T
« Reply #20 on: 08 April 2013, 00:11 »
The problem is with our roads its unlikely to last forever but if there are flexible joins then you should be fine.. Keep us posted

Yeah i guess but time will tell aha should be doing some more this week so will post after that  :smiley:

This is how we do them using the very same metal OEM pipe from the Turbo

much cleaner look than the faffy looking bay Dom posted up

done this on a mk2 and a mk1 too where they have had KO3 and KO3S turbos

I like that set up, have you got any photos of how you did the pipe straight after the turbo where mine goes up but yours must go a different direction? if you see what i mean?  :huh:

Also you might be able to help me with this, when the bonnet is closed it is pretty much touching the throttle body was wondering what front mount i should use to solve this issue or would it be a back mount? its all very similar to a mk3 golf but just doesn't seem to sit the same? im using standard corrado 1.8 16v mounts all round currently?
cheers

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #21 on: 08 April 2013, 08:49 »
I have pictures but i dont realy want to show all my tricks public, i may send you a picture when i get a moment (not at home aright now) :smiley:

when we installed a AGU into a MK2, we used a MK3 subframe (MK2 is the most similar to corrado this is why i mention the MK2)
With the Mk3 subframe, we had no clearance issues but on the mk1 we did, and to overcome this we had to remove a tiny bit of the strengthener thats on the bonnet

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 08 April 2013, 17:10 »
Well if you could that would be good  :smiley:

Ok so trying a mk3 subframe might be a solution? Does it have to be a 16v or can it be any mk3? i did notice when i was down my unit last that i have two front mounts that are different one fits straight on the other could fit with a small slot and it looks like it would lower the front end? ill try and get some photos to show this better  :smiley:
Cheers

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #23 on: 08 April 2013, 17:16 »
Just been looking at your pipework again, the first red 90 degree bend that comes out of the IC...why not turn that so it points upwards? That way you'll be able to get a better angle on the black pipe that it joins to it.

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 08 April 2013, 18:31 »
Just been looking at your pipework again, the first red 90 degree bend that comes out of the IC...why not turn that so it points upwards? That way you'll be able to get a better angle on the black pipe that it joins to it.

I do see what your saying but i had it similar to what your saying when it was like this

but i didnt like it when you looked in the bay as it was on its own in the middle on the piss (shown here)

So having it how it is now it mae it look a lot better in my opinion?

Cheers

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 10 April 2013, 09:40 »
I know your on the Corrado forum, but not sure if you've seen this so might be worth having a read mate.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?36117-The-Forced-Induction-20V-Thread
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 12 April 2013, 00:23 »
I know your on the Corrado forum, but not sure if you've seen this so might be worth having a read mate.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?36117-The-Forced-Induction-20V-Thread

Cheers for the link i had a quick read through the first few pages but iv book marked it  :wink:

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 16 April 2013, 16:29 »
So friday i got a good few hours on it, looks and feels like going backwards but hopefuly when i have done all i want to do the engine can go in for good so i first popped to local dealer and picked up some brand new flywheel and clutch release plate bolts

Also got a rear ashtray and a maf sensor from the forum
Im running a standard g60 flywheel with a luk vr6 clutch, i will be lightning the flwheel and upgrading the clutch at a later date.

ok so engine back out with the gearbox removed

Going to clean and paint the gearbox had a little go at it but still looking pretty dirty

Ok so where i modified the lower crossmember to fit the intercooler i wanted to put a bit of strength back into it

i have painted this but it didnt turn out to well so i didnt take a photo

ok so with the engine out i wanted to spray some bits and bobs just going for a matt black finish

Also did the front pannel pretty happy with how it tuned out
before:

After:

It was still a bit wet thats why it looks a bit shiny, ok so thats it for now i want to do loads more but im away this weekend so will update when i have more 

Cheers

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 28 April 2013, 14:00 »
Ok so a big update had the engine out for the last time to do some final little bits, changed the flywheel bolts and clutch pressure release plate bolts to brand new vw parts, sprayed some parts and cleaned the gearbox, also managed to spray the bay and joff came down this morning to get it running so here are some pictures and a short video.

Also modified and painted the lower front cross member for my intercooler to fit

Final work before engine bay was sprayed

The result was something like this

Hand balling the engine into the car as we didnt have a crane at the time

All in well sort of

Last bu not least a video of the car running, isnt very long as there is no water in the engine no boost pipes connected and as you can see/hear no downpipe but you get the idea  :lol:

More to come soon  :D

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 02 May 2013, 22:55 »
Ok not a massive update but i have managed to plum in the whole water system and fit the radiator in its new home, just need to mount the expansion tank or fit an in line filler.

How the rad sits now nearly the same but just had to drill a few holes
The original mounting points i kept the same

Then drilled a new hole at the bottom where i have moved the rad over to allow for my intercooler pipe work notch

Just need to make some sort of fixing for here

Then the top pipe was made up

As said before i have done all the pipe work now but dont need pictures for it all
I will be doing loads over the weekend i will update when i have more :)