Author Topic: Brake Bleeding on mk4...  (Read 20895 times)

Offline kniterider

• I live here
  • had most, sold most and often buy more!
Brake Bleeding on mk4...
« on: 26 January 2010, 18:19 »
Fitted new pads and discs on sat, had a rear pipe break so got new one and fitted today, My old mk4 gti was a tw@t to bleed the brakes on after the alloy washer split on that and this one seems to be the same. I started on the driver rear just to get some fluid in the caliper to get it to meet disc as it hadnt moved since pipe broke, then i did the way i normally do, the furthest wheel away from the master cylinder 1st and so on, had some one pressing the pedal for me whilst i did the bleed nipple bit with pipe and fluid underneath. this seemed to work ok , got all air out and had a nice firm pedal. then on starting the car to try the brakes they seemed very squashy, bled the calipers all again with the engine running and made no difference, bled the master cylinder bleed points, then the calipers again. Still the same... so a bit confusing, they work ok ive done 60 miles today and the pads are still bedding in but getting alot grippier, if i brake hard the abs works etc, just thought id get a bit more of a firmer pedal...? it was never the firmest of brake pedals and is probably now how it was originally...

any ideas?

:huh:

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
Re: Brake Bleeding on mk4...
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2010, 18:24 »
Nightmare bleeding the brakes, when we done my rear beam bushes it took longer to bleed the brakes than what it did changing the bushes :lipsrsealed:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline kniterider

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2010, 18:27 »
yeah i can hear ya, ive done them about 6 times today , there ok and useable just not how id like them.. is there a specific method of doing them on the mk4, i cant remember how i got it done on my old one..

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2010, 18:30 »
there is rear right, rear left, front right, front left, master cylinder  linky :wink:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline kniterider

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2010, 18:40 »
yeah according to that guide, but the master cylinder on that looks very close to the abs pump so maybe lhd which would be correct for that but wrong for rhd?... good link though, id did mine correct i think, ill just try it again, didnt have the ezibleed so had two people and keep checking the new fluid is kept topped up... might go buy an ezibleed kit to try see if any better results for the sake of £15 and some more fluid.

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2010, 18:50 »

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline kniterider

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2010, 19:14 »
another good link, diffo sequence for rhd cars though, but yet again someone using a pressurized bleeding kit so ill try that i think! cheers

Offline Purely VAG

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2010, 02:55 »
no matter what car, on dual line braking systems you always start furthest away from the master cylinder.

:)

✉ Jrd@PurelyVAG.co.uk // www.PurelyVAG.co.uk

Offline School-runner

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2010, 21:50 »
Have you bled both nipples on the master cylinder?... I spent hours (and two litres of fluid) trying to bleed mine before I realised there were two nipples on the MC  :embarassed:

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2010, 22:01 »
Get the pressure bleeder, its a mare without, theres a guide in the MK4 maint section which looks very good, its probabley already been linked so i won't bother linking again.
MK4 GTI T AGU, REVO Remap, BMC carbon box, Miltek cat back, Forge diverter valve, THS FR3 engine/Gbox mounts, Some random alloys, lowered on coilovers.
192bhp 212lbft torque.